Humidity issues (help)

• Thread starter Attis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Attis

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping that some of you more seasoned growers could lend a bit of your knowledge to me. I was doing some research about a week ago, and I stumbled across something somewhere regarding ways to decrease the humidity by using some sort of packets. They were similar to silica packets, but something else. I thought that I had bookmarked it, but now it appears that I didn't. Hopefully someone here knows what I am talking about... and maybe even where they can be purchased.

Thanks in advance!

A

A

Attis

Yeah Fin,

Those are what I was looking for, but there is a specific brand that was being used by growers. It was getting the humidity levels down 10-15%

Those you listed are a start though. Thanks for the links.

-A

leadplant

leadplant

I'm suprised growers would use dessicant packs to lower humidity. Those packs have a limited amount of moisture holding capacity; after that, theyre useless. What about a dehumidifier? If not that, piping in some cold outdoor air will lower your humidity if you are in a cold climate.

P

ProGroWannabe

Yeah leadplant has a good idea (he usually does) with the cold outside air. Can you duct any outside air into the grow space?

A

Attis

To Lead and PG,

Yes, I do have the ability to get some cold air in.

Question though, would it still help if it's raining outside?

I currently have an AC that I rigged ducting to vent directly into the flowering room. I was running that at 64F 24hrs a day. The room temp stayed at about 74ish.

I actually turned it off cuz I was already having issues with the RH and the forecast called for rain for the next few days. I know that cold air holds less h2o, but I figured with rain in the air that was a prob.

Oh, and before I turned the AC off, the temp had dropped to about 70F. How low could I go safely?

I am just starting week 3 of 12/12, at this point is RH or Temp more important?

Thank you for the help guys. I have read lots of the posts from you two, and you both seem to have great knowledge. :clapping

-A

A

Attis

To Leadplant

Oh yeah I almost forgot.

The link that I found originally about the packets stated that they were only being used due to heat, energy, noise, etc... issues.

I am only concerned with the heat getting above 78F. On a normal day, the temp is at or above 74F at best. I read that a lot of the Dehumidifiers adapters get almost too hot to touch so I figured if I could get the packets to bring down the RH 10% and not add heat I'd be in biz.

If I can't find these soon, I will just have to buy one and hope that the heat stays manageable.

If I get the packets, I will be sure to post a thread letting everyone know how well or not they worked. Wish me luck!

-A

P

ProGroWannabe

Attis....the dehumidifier has to be the best bet for you, then. And if your having rH issues this early in flower, you may have a recipe for mildew or botrytus when the begin to develop buds really well. I'd do my best to get a dehumidifier, if I were you.

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

I'm having a small RH issue myself. My RH is at 55-65% on rainy days. Dry days it's around 40-45%. Venting outside rainy/humid air into your grow will do no good. I'm seeing no problems yet. My tent is well ventilated so that helps. Plenty of moving air inside and a vortex that is overkill. I'm more worried about keeping my temps above 70*. Strange your A/C didn't fix the RH problem. A/C units remove humidity. Maybe put the a/c inside your room and that'll fix the problem. Venting A/C'd air into your room isn't working I'd say.

A

Attis

Is the AC supposed to lower the rh by circulating the air through the filter while spewing cool air into the room? if so, then tha AC is only helping with the temps and not the rh at all.
*note* during veg, I was having the opposite problem. The rh was too low, so I bought a humidifier and then the rh and temps were getting too high. Then I routed the AC into the veg room and it leveled everything out perfectly. So in that room, the AC did lower the rh.
That being said, I guess it doesn't need to be in the room in order to lower the rh. The difference imo is that since the veg period rh levels are meant to be higher it worked fine.

So here's another question then. Is a rh in the mid 50s a high risk for mold and such?

Even if I can't get it down to 30 % can I get away with at least something low 50%-high 40%?

I understand that the low rh promotes resin production, and that 30-40% is ideal, but what is the highest rh to safely flower.

I plan on getting a dehumidifier ASAP, but until then I just want to be sure that I can manage without ruining the crop?

-A

P

ProGroWannabe

In late flower, I strive to make sure mine doesn't get above the 50% mark. That's my personal goal, for my space, my plants....you get the idea. But I've never...EVER... had mold or mildew in any room I've ran and I've done them all this way.

You may notice a sizeable drop in rH if you move more air around inside the room as well. Sometimes if air is allowed to "stagnate" the rH will rocket way up.

B

bluegrass

Ill never go without a dehumidifier again! Get one bro! fo sho!

A

Attis

I am definitely going to get a dehumidifier, it is getting worse by the daay. rh jumped up tp 61% today.:headbang

Again, thank you all for the insight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom