Hybrid Hempy Bucquet, not bucket

• Thread starter kailiwela44
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kailiwela44

Hello all. Does anybody have any experience with the Hempy Bucquet? It's a hempy bucket hybrid with a layer of soil on top.

kailiwela44

B

bonbonbondia

Hello all. Does anybody have any experience with the Hempy Bucquet? It's a hempy bucket hybrid with a layer of soil on top.

kailiwela44

I use a "hempy" style bucket with a 2:1 soil to perlite mixture and the bottom water resevoir area is all perlite.

As opposed to the original which is all perlite and vermiculite. IIRC.

IMG 1852
K

kailiwela44

Cool.:D I'll be tranplanting her this weekend. My main concern is how often she needs to be watered until the tap root hits bottom.
I'm using 2 gallon buckets. I have the hole drilled about an inch above the bottom, thinking that i should fill the bottom with 100% perlite until its another inch above the hole, coco layer (like hempybucquet on icmag) and then my organic mix.
My worries :worried is if i water everyday like the traditional hempy, the soil may never dry and drown the roots in it. :( However, i'm also worried that if i don't water it everyday and let it dry, the tap root may dry out before i water the next time. :shake
Are these things i need to worry about?

much mahalo,
kailiwela44

B

bonbonbondia

I don't think you are supposed to water everyday in the "traditional hempy" you are only supposed to water when the resevoir dries out. I could be wrong but thats how I do it. But either way it doesn't sound like you would have the problem of "the soil may never dry" because all the water is going to fall/drain down into the "with 100% perlite until its another inch above the hole".

I haven't read of putting the layer of coco above the perlite layer. It don't understand the reason for that layer either. I just do perlite at the bottom above to a bit above the drain hole and then my soil mix. Is there a reason for the coco layer?

K

kailiwela44

it's used as a barrier so the soil doesn't fall into the perlite. It also contributes micro nutes and such...let me check the guys thread and get back with the exact info.

good night from O'ahu
kailiwela44

F

fuzzy

I grow in Hempys, but i usually feed Lucas Form. every 2-3 days.Pick the bucket up and it should tell you.If you can. peace,Fuzzy

K

kailiwela44

i've read over the hempybucquet page and his purpose of using the coco layer was to have separation between the perlite and soil. Another member had posted infor about the extra benefits with coco coir.
My soil mix is 4quarts Black Gold Organic .05-0-0, 2 quarts worm castings, 2 quarts perlite, dolomite lime, and bone meal.
As far as ferts go, the first two weeks of 12/12 she'll be getting Alaskan F.E. as recommended by a member here--Soma doesn't feed his 11 week plants anynutes the first 3 weeks of 12/12 (should i do that or go ahead with the AFE?). Either way, the third week will start feeding them Budswell .01-.11-.01 every feeding and canna bio flores 2.5-2.0-5 every other watering as Soma wrote in his book. The last two weeks of 12/12 will be plain water--flushing.
I'll actually transplant them tonight because it's windy and raining monkeys on o'ahu right now, so i'm sure i'll be cleaning up this entire weekend once the rain subsides.
After the transplant, she'll be vegged for two more weeks then the 12/12 lighting begins on the 26 when there is a full moon--my Hawaiian history class gave us a chart on when Pre-contact Hawaiians would plant and harvest...just gotta find it again. Also, Soma believes in this. From my recollection, i believe that plants are planted either on the new moon and full moon, or just the new moon...if i find the chart i'll share with everyone.

thank you for your insights,
kailiwela44

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

i've read over the hempybucquet page and his purpose of using the coco layer was to have separation between the perlite and soil. Another member had posted infor about the extra benefits with coco coir.
My soil mix is 4quarts Black Gold Organic .05-0-0, 2 quarts worm castings, 2 quarts perlite, dolomite lime, and bone meal.
As far as ferts go, the first two weeks of 12/12 she'll be getting Alaskan F.E. as recommended by a member here--Soma doesn't feed his 11 week plants anynutes the first 3 weeks of 12/12 (should i do that or go ahead with the AFE?). Either way, the third week will start feeding them Budswell .01-.11-.01 every feeding and canna bio flores 2.5-2.0-5 every other watering as Soma wrote in his book. The last two weeks of 12/12 will be plain water--flushing.
I'll actually transplant them tonight because it's windy and raining monkeys on o'ahu right now, so i'm sure i'll be cleaning up this entire weekend once the rain subsides.
After the transplant, she'll be vegged for two more weeks then the 12/12 lighting begins on the 26 when there is a full moon--my Hawaiian history class gave us a chart on when Pre-contact Hawaiians would plant and harvest...just gotta find it again. Also, Soma believes in this. From my recollection, i believe that plants are planted either on the new moon and full moon, or just the new moon...if i find the chart i'll share with everyone.

thank you for your insights,
kailiwela44

Personally I would use the AFE every third watering for the first two weeks, or at least 2 feedings using it through those first two weeks. The plants use a good amount of Nitrogen during the initial stretch. So to forgo feeding them N seems like your plants could run out of it a bit too early.

K

kailiwela44

Here is my grow so far. As recommended by smoking gun i've given her two feedings of alaskan FE--thanks! with one of thoses feeding i gave molasses and one feeding just straight water. the second time i watered i didn't check the res. So almost immediately after the excess began draining. This past time i tipped the bucket to see if water would drain...it didn't so i gave watered her with the second feeding of AFE.
The lights will be switched to 12/12 tomorrow because power went out for hours on o'ahu, HI.
During the first two weeks i will give two feedings of AFE, the third week will be water than than a regiment of canna bio flores every other watering, molasses between the canna bio, and budswel every watering for about three/four weeks. This is said to be a 6-8 weeks strain so the after three/four weeks of nutes she'll have water with molasses every other watering.

100 0088
100 0089
100 0090
100 0091
100 0093
100 0094
100 0096
100 0097
100 0098
100 0099
100 0100
100 0101
H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Grow looks good, maybe a little underfed?

Asking a mod (Zoo, Logic, etc) is the only way to move the thread.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

what do you think she needs?

I am glad my suggestion with the AFE worked for you. What I think they still need may be some more Nitrogen. The other thing I can think of that your plants may be in need of is Magnesium. Notice the edges of the leaves dying off while the rest of the leaf is still yellow, this can often be a sign of MG deficiency. Just a thought. I hope what ever it is gets worked out.

K

kailiwela44

Would the Mg slow the growth? I noticed it and thought it was because of my poor transplanting. I let it go, not really wanting to make it worse, to see what would happen. I'll try to get an updated pic up, but the new growth doesn't have those same symptons...just lanky with thin leaves.

kailiwela44

K

kailiwela44

before i add nutes it is in the low 6.0. I have the liquid tester so it's not precise to say. I use purified water b/c the tap water where i live on o'ahu is way higher than 8.0 Both plants receive the same water, but i was thinking to raising the ph for the slower plant to around 6.5 or maybe around 7.0, but i don't recall reading anybody using ph near 7.0

kailiwela44

BombBP

BombBP

I'm using hydroton in the res and a mixture of Sunshine and coco on top. I feed with a ph of 6. I wouldn't raise it to 6.5 or 7. Imo, it's too high for these buckets.

K

kailiwela44

right on Bombp. I was trying to do research to see if i could use hydroton instead. I'm not to familiar w/hydroton so my main questions on using hydroton would be is it reusable? and if so how to clean it--1tsp peroxide per G of water?

much mahalo,
kailiwela44

Top Bottom