Hydro Clone transfer question

• Thread starter flybynyt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

flybynyt

I have several clones growing in soil. My question is, can I gently wash off the soil and put them in my hydroponic setup?

Thanks.

flybynyt

C

cell

I believe there is a way that you can gently brush off most of the soil and in-bed the mass into a substrate like coco, where after the root mass will eventually outgrow the soil and protrude through the coir. Granted adequate nutrition is supplied. I might be wrong.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I've recently started a hyro setup for the first time and did just that. The two well established clones took but I could see where you might have to factor in failure from virus, fungi, and molds.

I let the plants dry out and gently broke off all the soil and carefully worked the rootball up to the rapid rooter. Once I was happy it was clean, I washed out the roots in plain ph'ed water and planted. Worked fine but I've got second system to keep them in hydro start to finish now.

H

HolliHerb

a great way of working off dirt from roots is to fill a tub or bucket up with some water. distilled is best, ph it and stick in an air stone. Then go ahead and unpot your plant/s try and remove as much soil off as you can without hurting the roots. Than set them inside the bucket and let the air stone work.

The water would wet the soil and break it off or mud it off.

good luck!

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
That's a good idea hh. Having the plant as dry as it was made working with the roots more nerve racking.

F

FastForward

Alternatively, put some spreader mat down in the bottom of your hydro setup to stop any bits getting into the pump and pipes. I read that someone else on here was doing it and it's the answer to all my probs....it's simple and genius....allows cocoheads to use hydro without blockage issues. It might mean you can wash off some, but not all, of the soil and still put it into your hydro system...just changing out the spreader mat as a filter (cheap too) until the soil has gone.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
FF, what do you mean by spreader mat? Not familiar with that term.

F

flybynyt

I also have not heard of spreader mat.
I was able to get all the dirt off my clones. The bucket and air stone is what did the trick.

flybynyt

Latest posts

Top Bottom