Hydro Clones Dying, Advice Anyone?

• Thread starter Brieschick34
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Brieschick34

Brieschick34

I have 3 clones, this one is doing the worst. My setup is a 4x8 tent with the clones in the 4x4 veg section of tent. They are in an Ebb and Flow system with a pump pushing water into single tubes to top feed untill roots are long enough. Medium is clones in rock wool for 2-3 weeks untill multiple roots coming out of the bottom. 3-4 days ago I transfered into 3 gallon bags of expanding clay pebbles. I did wash and ph the pebbles for 3-4 days untill water ran clean and ph was stabilized under 6. Ph and ppm on day 1 pic was around 6.5 and 1000ppm, and then today, day 2, it was at 6 (added ph down after yesterday, also added more today to get closer to 5.6-5.8). Water temp ranges between 63 and 68 degrees depending on the tent temp. Lights are 1000watt LEDs of veg spectrum and running 18hours. Water feeding occurs twice daily, once after lights have been on for an hour and once an hour before lights go off. Watering occurs for 15mins. Temp ranges for 70-80 degrees fahrenheit. If I missed anything let me know. It may be worth noting I lost like a dozen clones to over watering the rock wool. This is my first hydroponic grow and am struggling a bit, so any and all advice is appricated.

Photo 1: 3/4 days after transferring rock wool cube to clay pebbles in cloth bag.

Photo 2: clone next day, side angle to show leaf damage.

Photos 3 and 4: nutrients being used

Also today noticed that my heathier clone is starting to droop, making me think over watering. So I've swapped watering to once a day 6 hours after lights on.

Hydro clones dying advice anyone
Hydro clones dying advice anyone 2
Hydro clones dying advice anyone 3
Hydro clones dying advice anyone 4
Oldguy71

Oldguy71

1000 ppm is pretty high. I would go more like 450 for a while. Also I think lowering the flood level an inch or two would help as long as the roots can reach

Reactions: RR1
Brieschick34

Brieschick34

1000 ppm is pretty high. I would go more like 450 for a while. Also I think lowering the flood level an inch or two would help as long as the roots can reach
Yeah I started measuring EC which I didn't know about and at that time my EC was like 1.6-2. So since then have lowered to about 600ppm and 1.1 EC. The clones seem to be doing better but are still having very slow growth. I'll try and go out today again try and dilliute it.

cottageman

cottageman

I’d say to high of ppms which you’ve already corrected and overwatering. I root in rockwool cubes as well and usually water them at most once before they root, and they root around 10 days. Letting the rockwool cubes get almost bone dry is key for roots popping out of the cubes early. It’s very easy to overwater in rockwool when the root system isn’t quite there yet

Reactions: RR1
Brieschick34

Brieschick34

I’d say to high of ppms which you’ve already corrected and overwatering. I root in rockwool cubes as well and usually water them at most once before they root, and they root around 10 days. Letting the rockwool cubes get almost bone dry is key for roots popping out of the cubes early. It’s very easy to overwater in rockwool when the root system isn’t quite there yet
Play that's good to know. This my second go around with rock wool and lost my first batch of clones due to root rot. So I've been dialing it back to watering on the starters. These guys in the pic has roots coming out before transplant so I'm hoping they can handle a bit more frequent watering.

cottageman

cottageman

Play that's good to know. This my second go around with rock wool and lost my first batch of clones due to root rot. So I've been dialing it back to watering on the starters. These guys in the pic has roots coming out before transplant so I'm hoping they can handle a bit more frequent watering.
I had a similar thing happen to some mothers I recently transplanted. They had plenty of roots out of the cube when I transferred but I didn’t let them dry back in the pot like I normally do and they got waterlogged and almost died from it. That first dryback or two in rockwool is so important to let it dry out almost done dry. I do the same thing when I transfer into 6x6 cubes. I don’t water them until I see roots coming out of the bottom otherwise they get stunted

Top Bottom