Hydro growers; pH swing, What's your?

• Thread starter homebrew420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
homebrew420

homebrew420

So the Question for me is, What is an average pH swing over a 12 hour period? My swing is sometimes 1 whole point, usually about .5-.7 swing basic. I am currently using GH Floranova Gr and Blm sometimes I use Liquid sand, add Kool Bloom in flower. Growing in one each, 5 gal DWC and a Hydrobucket. It seems to me the fact that it's so consistent makes me think is normal. Any thoughts? This is only my second run really.

Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket

Each plant will have different NEEDS at different stages of growth. When it strips what it needs out of the nute solution the ph changes. My question is what happened to the EC? If it went higher the plant is drinking water and the nute solution is getting stronger so you add back water to get the EC down and the ph back in range.
Do a search about add back.

YJ

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
I usually only find very much fluctuation over the first 24 hours or so after a res change. Then the plants dial in the ph to what they want...

homebrew420

homebrew420

I am still trying to work out the bugs of this grow. I have add the ph adjusted water to the tiny res. every day. ppm changes slightly each day dropping of course. The thing is durring veg these plants truely amazed me. In flower, not so much. they seemed to really slow down. Same brand of nutes. very little difference in that dept. mild co2 injection, but it is the same everyday. like clockwork. The drink up almost .5 gal a day in water. Not a whole lot of nute uptake. Fabman, i notice that too, the first day or two I watch them closely and dial it in then back to regular routine.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Your PH swings are a huge problem.
Heres what you need to do.
Fill your ressy with r.o. water. Adjust the PH of the plain water. Wait 12 hours letting the solution bubble/mix. Then add your nutrients. (You can start feeding this to the plants at this point, if you cant wait). 12 hours after adding the nutrients check PH and adjust one more time if needed. Adjust in small steps. My 40 gallon ressy's only take about 25ml of ph adjuster each to stabilize it. The key is to allow the ph buffers to do their job before you add in more.

One thing to keep in mind,
Your ph can flux strongly depending on your system so its important to get that dialed in along with what your strain likes and can handle..
Its not good to just keep dumping in chemicals to maintain your ph at 5.8 let it drift as low as 5.2 - 6.0 that way your plants can get everything available to it. When I see my shit fluxuate low then high I know my ladies are absorbing nutrients properly. Make sure your nutrient temp is around 68-72 deg this is important as well.. Especially since you are doing DWC At 78 deg you will get pythium.

:passingjoint:

GTD

J

Jalisco Kid

I mix my nutes dial it to 5.5-6.3 then let it cook allowing for all the reactions to take place, then I adjust the pH. Fill the active rez. I then do that with the passive.
You really do not want your ppm to fall with your water level. If it does you need to bump up your ppm a little. JK

B

been

It's all normal for what you're doing. I prefer large/huge reservoirs but what should you expect, ya know? Easy come, easy go. :sun2:

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
I totally agree Been!! I set my 5 gal buckets into 18 gal walmart totes. Made things much better.

J

Jalisco Kid

The pH for nutrient uptake is not as important as people read from Jorges book or elsewhere. The people who try to pound that chart into your head are not growers.Take two clones in flower, make one 5.6 the other 6.2. According to these famous well thought of(gods to some) writer the 5.6 plant should start showing a P def in a few weeks. It does not happen. Mean while people are jacking up there plants chasing the Dragon. Its like doing heroin then coke its never just right until your dead. JK

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
For sure!! My mustangmist thrives at 4.5 to 4.8 in flower and my master kush at 7.1.....It is very strain related and you must read every plant on its own...

N

Nts10a

Reservoir size makes a huge difference. My 55 gallon is going to change differently than your size reservoir. If your PH is changing less than a whole point, it sounds like you are on track for your reservoir size.

U

ugmjfarmer

I use around 40 Gal of nutrient for 24 plants in bloom. Rockwool grow media, drip/top feed, 4" cubes on top of 6" magnum pots full of loose rockwool. PH so far is swinging from 5.8 - 6.4, but has been consistent at 6.1 for the week. The plants show no sign of nutrient deficiencies or growth problems with the leaves so the range has been ok.

Oh, Pureblend Pro, Liquid Karma, CalMag+ and AN Bud Candy. I read the hate thread on it, but I'm giving it a shot for this run, and I wont use it after week 6.

Latest posts

Top Bottom