Hydro Noob Using Ebb & Flow 4x4x7'7 Gorilla Lite Tent

• Thread starter LordWasr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

LordWasr

Hi All,

This would be my first actual tent set up and I'd say big grow lol. I've done two single plant soil grows and I felt that I was ready to hop onto something bigger and easier to maintain. I did some research and decided to go with the Ebb & Flow set up . Tent size is 4x4x7'7 running 1000w in a air cooled hood, I know.. it's a bit much and will get hot =\ but that's what I have so far lol. Here's a list of what I have, I have everything assembled but just waiting on the actual 4x4 flood table to come in.

I'm looking to run the 9x Hugo Blocks with GG4 clones from a local dispensary. Would it be okay to follow the Fox Farm feed chart ? I will give half suggested amount of nutes just to see if every things okay.

For now I will need to use Tap Water since I dont have a budget for the R/O Filter system yet.
  • 4x4x6'7 Gorilla Lite Tent+ Extension Kit
  • Quantum 1000w Dimmable Ballast
  • 4x4 Flood Table
  • 9x 6x6xx5.8 Hugo Rock Wool Blocks
  • 2x Air Stone Cyliners
  • Active Aqua Ebb & Flow
  • Air Pump 2 Outlets 2W 7.8
  • Active Aquar Pump 550 GPH
  • Xtrasun Ref 6" AC Unit
  • Bulb MH 1000w
  • Platmax 1000W HPS
  • 40 Gal Res Bottom
  • 40 Gal Res Cover
  • Can-Lite Mini 6" x 16" 42 Carbon Filter
  • 6" x 25' Black Lightproof D
  • 2 Ezi Air Clip Fan
  • VIVOSUN 6" Inline Duct Fan w/ Speed Controller ( I will need another one to make the tent cooler I think )
  • 4x4 Gorilla Trellis Net

Now I just need to figure out how many times to flood the tray. How high to flood it to etc etc. From what I've read its 2x a day for 15mins when veg and 3x for flower? Of course there will be revisions to this. I think I'll need to hand water the first few weeks to get the roots situated into the Hugo blocks as well. Before I do that I know I need to soak the blocks for 24hrs in pH'd water.

I'm also confused on how I would flush with just water if the 45gallon reservoir is filled with nutrient water. Or is this completely unnecessary since it's hydro? That the rock wool does not have any kind of nutes so the plant would need to be fed daily with nutes? When I was running the soil grow, I'd go 1 day nute & 1 day water .

Is there a guide or step by step on how the feeding system works? I also see alot of growers using the small lava rocks? or the one's that look like orange eggs lol. Is that necessary or can I just run the Hugo Blocks on the tray itself? I've also read about cocomats and stuff but not sure if all that is needed. I'm aiming for 1-2 Ps a harvest, I know it will be hard or maybe impossible but we will see.

Any suggestions on how long to veg/flower for, how far to keep light away from the plant, if I should run the ballast at 100% , 75%, or 50% on the veg stage. I'm assuming I will go 100% when I flip 12/12 .

I tried my best to research but still not understanding 100% . Once I have everything set up , I will make a diary on here if that's allowed.

Thank you all!

Polar510

Polar510

I tried a flood and drain for a couple weeks then went back to hand watering.
Vader og pretty much perfected the flood and drain with Coco., maybe check out some of his videos on You Tube.
One thing I would say is that 40 gallon reservoir change weekly is going to suck!
I was hoping with canna nutes I could go at least 2 weeks. The water needed changed after 1 week only.
I came to the realization that adding 125ml A & 125ml every week to the reservoir during change was a gross waste of Nutes IMO.
Even if I fed 10ml A & 10ml B everyday which is unlikely I would be using less Nutes. I also don't like giving up any vertical space during flower.
But I love growing and trying different methods. Flood and drain for Me was just a small part of My journey with this awesome plant.
Do what works best for You and Your situation.
What I did Take from flood and drain is make sure You flood it long enough to soak the top of the medium. I also would not use coco to start until you get it dialed use Hydroton(clay Pebbles) instead. The frequency of the floods depends on the media and root mass. Check PH daily before it floods the tray.

L

LordWasr

I tried a flood and drain for a couple weeks then went back to hand watering.
Vader og pretty much perfected the flood and drain with Coco., maybe check out some of his videos on You Tube.
One thing I would say is that 40 gallon reservoir change weekly is going to suck!
I was hoping with canna nutes I could go at least 2 weeks. The water needed changed after 1 week only.
I came to the realization that adding 125ml A & 125ml every week to the reservoir during change was a gross waste of Nutes IMO.
Even if I fed 10ml A & 10ml B everyday which is unlikely I would be using less Nutes. I also don't like giving up any vertical space during flower.
But I love growing and trying different methods. Flood and drain for Me was just a small part of My journey with this awesome plant.
Do what works best for You and Your situation.
What I did Take from flood and drain is make sure You flood it long enough to soak the top of the medium. I also would not use coco to start until you get it dialed use Hydroton(clay Pebbles) instead. The frequency of the floods depends on the media and root mass. Check PH daily before it floods the tray.

Got it, thanks for the tip on Vade OG's youtube. I will definately check it out ! I will also make sure to pH before the flood & make sure that the blocks are damp on the top as well. I also didnt think about refilling the 40gal res every week lol! Oh well, we'll see whats up with it. I'll follow up once I have everything going. Thanks again.

snippetysnip

snippetysnip

@LordWasr
Hi mate I run 6x3 tables.
15 min floods sound a bit too long.. especially in just Hugo blocks.. They hold a lot of moisture and you want them to dry out a bit before the next feed..
I'd say you want to feed them via flooding asap rather than hand watering. IME you build a stronger root mass quicker as the roots grow down searching for the feed rather than having it poured in from above.
If you do hand water let the cubes soak it up from the bottom as per flooding. If you do put the blocks straight on top of the table you won't need to flood the table that much to soak everything.. The block will completely soak itself if only the bottom 1mm is in solution.
As for your reservoir.. you can go longer than a week between changes, ten days will be fine as long as you're getting good air and re-circulation into the mix.
If 40 gallons is too much for ten days which it probably will be then don't fill it right up!
As for flushing.. you can knock up a PH water mix on the days you change the res, and hand water the blocks from above to flush out any salt buildup within the block itself.
I haven't used Hugo blocks before but have been wondering how i would use them.. I think a layer of clay pebbles on the bottom of the table (the orange eggs) would be good for aeration.. if you do, remember to wash the hell out of them first.
I'd also cover the tops of the blocks with reflective sheet or correx or something, this stops algae build up on top of the blocks and stops light penetrating down between the blocks allowing the roots to spread out better.
Do you only have 1 pump for feeding from the res? If so, buy another one with a bit of hose coming out of the res then pointing back in above the water, this circulates the mixture better and adds a bit more o2..

Latest posts

Top Bottom