Hydroponic EZ Cloner not making it so E Z

• Thread starter TheOtherOne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

So, I made a bonehead move and bought an EZ cloner from Amazon.com, Shenzhen return address, of course. I have had it for almost a year, have tried to use it 5 times, and had not seen a single root. Just dry withering cuttings. At first I thought it was just becase I was using it for Jalapenos (being an amazon china purchase, I didn't want to hack into my girls until I knew I had a working model). And boy am I glad I did. But that in mind, this last attempt I took 3 cutting from my larger mother, and placed them in with the jalapeno cuttings, and again, nothing. I have tried filling i all the way up; rotted. 3/4, dried and dead. And everywhere in between, with mixed means, but the same end. A friend said that I need to convert it to Aero, which I am sure I could Youtube, but if I can make this work without having to make any alterations, I would rather take that approach. Does anyone have any tips or pointers, had experience with similar cloners, or just know where I am going wrong here?

Hydroponic ez cloner not making it so e z
Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

Hey what up
To understand what u do wrong you will need to explain your procedure so we can address the solution!
No matter where it came from..they r pretty basic rigs....a waterpump that sprays the cuts and a bubbler to oxigenate the water...
I feel that they key part is the timer of the showers nozzles.......15 on and 30 off or even 45 off seems the best for explosive root growth....
Also temperature and health of the cut/mother play big role....

Edit...Also....dont shove the cut too deep below the neoprene disc....just an inch or two is sufficient...and better to peel that part from the skin....the roots will explode where the peel has been removed....

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

So, I made a bonehead move and bought an EZ cloner from Amazon.com, Shenzhen return address, of course. I have had it for almost a year, have tried to use it 5 times, and had not seen a single root. Just dry withering cuttings. At first I thought it was just becase I was using it for Jalapenos (being an amazon china purchase, I didn't want to hack into my girls until I knew I had a working model). And boy am I glad I did. But that in mind, this last attempt I took 3 cutting from my larger mother, and placed them in with the jalapeno cuttings, and again, nothing. I have tried filling i all the way up; rotted. 3/4, dried and dead. And everywhere in between, with mixed means, but the same end. A friend said that I need to convert it to Aero, which I am sure I could Youtube, but if I can make this work without having to make any alterations, I would rather take that approach. Does anyone have any tips or pointers, had experience with similar cloners, or just know where I am going wrong here?
What are you using the rockwool blocks for? I have a feeling you are placing the cuts in the blocks and then placing the block in the strainer buckets. If you are doing this, I believe one of your problems has been identified. This sort of cloning process is best done with no media around the fresh cut stem, these systems are designed to give the cut enough moisture thru the base of the cut and just enough so that it promotes root development. Your cloner looks like it has some sort of small strainer baskets that if that is the case you would want a media that holds on to very little water, something like hydroton. The principle by witch these sort of cloners work is basically the same as a hydro system be it Ebb and Flo or a bucket system. The plant gets waters followed by the plant receiving plenty of oxygen because the root system is no longer in water.
If you are placing the rockwool cubs into the strainer baskets and then placing into the cloner, the rockwool cube is staying dripping wet the whole time and this deprives the clone much needed oxygen. Good Luck with your clones

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

Hey what up
To understand what u do wrong you will need to explain your procedure so we can address the solution!
No matter where it came from..they r pretty basic rigs....a waterpump that sprays the cuts and a bubbler to oxigenate the water...
I feel that they key part is the timer of the showers nozzles.......15 on and 30 off or even 45 off seems the best for explosive root growth....
Also temperature and health of the cut/mother play big role....

Edit...Also....dont shove the cut too deep below the neoprene disc....just an inch or two is sufficient...and better to peel that part from the skin....the roots will explode where the peel has been removed....

There is no water pump, it did not come with one. Nor did it come with neoprene discs, which is why I use the rockwool @Anthem. And yes, I have been putting them in the net pots (the rockwool cubes). And like I said, I have tried multiple different ways, all with the rockwool in the net pots, but with varying degrees of water, too much and the stem rots, too little and it dried out too quick. But I guess that is because I have no water pump, only the air pump, and no neoprene discs, which I understand why these things are important now. I was watching a video where a guy hooked a larger pump up to a 4 inch airstone, and the bubbles popping was enough that there wasn't a need for a water pump. I already have a more powerful air pump, and airstones are dirt cheap, so I am going to try that first, before I go buy a water pump. And I guess that is technically an aeroponic conversion, then? IDK, but I think I got what I needed here, I will post updates if it works out. Thanks for the help fellas.

Anthem

Anthem

There is no water pump, it did not come with one. Nor did it come with neoprene discs, which is why I use the rockwool @Anthem. And yes, I have been putting them in the net pots (the rockwool cubes). And like I said, I have tried multiple different ways, all with the rockwool in the net pots, but with varying degrees of water, too much and the stem rots, too little and it dried out too quick. But I guess that is because I have no water pump, only the air pump, and no neoprene discs, which I understand why these things are important now. I was watching a video where a guy hooked a larger pump up to a 4 inch airstone, and the bubbles popping was enough that there wasn't a need for a water pump. I already have a more powerful air pump, and airstones are dirt cheap, so I am going to try that first, before I go buy a water pump. And I guess that is technically an aeroponic conversion, then? IDK, but I think I got what I needed here, I will post updates if it works out. Thanks for the help fellas.
You have to lose the rockwool cubes, that is your problem. They will hold on to every drop of water they can. Try the air pump with Hydroton and put the cut as close to the bottom of the basket as you can get it, or use the rockwool cubes and just purchase a tray and lid and not use the cloner. I use this method and I get 100 percent success if I just put in a little bit of effort.

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

You have to lose the rockwool cubes, that is your problem. They will hold on to every drop of water they can. Try the air pump with Hydroton and put the cut as close to the bottom of the basket as you can get it, or use the rockwool cubes and just purchase a tray and lid and not use the cloner. I use this method and I get 100 percent success if I just put in a little bit of effort.
I have trays and lids, maybe I will just give that a try! Should I use just 1 tray, no holes, or should I put a tray with holes inside of one with no holes?

Anthem

Anthem

I have trays and lids, maybe I will just give that a try! Should I use just 1 tray, no holes, or should I put a tray with holes inside of one with no holes?
TBH I have done it both ways and I have see no need to double tray. Get some of the blocks with plastic around them if you can spring for the cash. Some root hormone (I use dip and grow). Sock the blocks in a low nutrient solution of like 200 to 250 PPMs at a PH of 5.5 and get a water spayer. I leave them alone with the lid closed for about 5 days than I start to spay with the low nutrient solution everyday and slowly open the vents on the lid. By da y 10 ro 12 you should see roots.

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

TBH I have done it both ways and I have see no need to double tray. Get some of the blocks with plastic around them if you can spring for the cash. Some root hormone (I use dip and grow). Sock the blocks in a low nutrient solution of like 200 to 250 PPMs at a PH of 5.5 and get a water spayer. I leave them alone with the lid closed for about 5 days than I start to spay with the low nutrient solution everyday and slowly open the vents on the lid. By da y 10 ro 12 you should see roots.

Now, I have never done hydro or aeroponics, and always just fed what was said on the labels. How do I go about measuring PPM and applying it so precisely. Sorry, I am new to indoor. Only ever really done outdoor, where we just brewed a tea and applied it, no science lol

Lenny805

Lenny805

Buy a ezcloner or one from botanicare. Brand new. Keep your water at 5.8 ph. Super easy . Don’t complicate it. 24hrs of light.

Top Bottom