Hydroton Cleaning - First Grow Complete

• Thread starter letsgro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
letsgro

letsgro

I just finished my first grow and I am looking for some reassurance on my hydroton cleaning technique.

The hydroton dried out for 2 weeks, I have three 5 gallon buckets 3/4 full, and today I rinsed them with tap water, then added bleach, and agitated for a minute or so. I let that soak for a few hours, then drained off 2/3 of the water and added 35% H202, then topped up with tap water. That is currently soaking and tomorrow I will be taking cups at a time and pouring it over a window screen to filter out what's left of the roots while rinsing with tap water. I will do my best to let it dry out, probably by filling my net buckets and periodically stirring them over the course of a few days. Before I put them in the system I will ph RO water and let them soak for 24 hours.

Any advice and suggestions are welcome, especially alternative methods to sifting through hydroton on top of a window screen. Thanks!

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I just finished my first grow and I am looking for some reassurance on my hydroton cleaning technique.

The hydroton dried out for 2 weeks, I have three 5 gallon buckets 3/4 full, and today I rinsed them with tap water, then added bleach, and agitated for a minute or so. I let that soak for a few hours, then drained off 2/3 of the water and added 35% H202, then topped up with tap water. That is currently soaking and tomorrow I will be taking cups at a time and pouring it over a window screen to filter out what's left of the roots while rinsing with tap water. I will do my best to let it dry out, probably by filling my net buckets and periodically stirring them over the course of a few days. Before I put them in the system I will ph RO water and let them soak for 24 hours.

Any advice and suggestions are welcome, especially alternative methods to sifting through hydroton on top of a window screen. Thanks!

That gets real old, real fast unless you are using a shit-ton of it. Find yourself an inexpensive source of hydroton. I found a 40 liter bucket for $25 at a local store. But to get back to your original question. Yes your process sounds very close to the process i was given several years ago.

Happy Farming 😎 🥂

tobh

tobh

Supporter
what about, instead of a window screen, using a colander instead?

i'm a couple weeks into my first run with hydroton, so i'm sure i'll be running into the same stumbling block in a few months, but i'd think something with large enough exits for root matter to escape while retaining the hydroton (less the smaller pebbles) would be more efficient.

letsgro

letsgro

After going through the process and now having some foaming issues, I'd say screw the cleaning. It's cheap enough, you're probably always better off getting new and rinsing thoroughly rather than trying to clean all of the roots and salts without any problems and having that be worth your time.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
After going through the process and now having some foaming issues, I'd say screw the cleaning. It's cheap enough, you're probably always better off getting new and rinsing thoroughly rather than trying to clean all of the roots and salts without any problems and having that be worth your time.

Good looking out. I run enzymes, but obviously those won't do anything for living roots. I can't recall what I bought my bags (25L) for, but it is cheap enough to just toss into raised beds outside and start anew.

Latest posts

Top Bottom