Hydroton drip advice for plant issues needed

• Thread starter IndicaPursuit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
IndicaPursuit

IndicaPursuit

I have a 4x4 flood table top drip hydroton medium. I water 15 minutes on 60 off. I use 2 Mars Hydro Sp3000. It's day 3 of flower and just had some unwanted signs on my fans leaves at the top of the plant. Just trying to see if you guys have any idea what it could be. I thought maybe magnesium or calcium def. I used to use coco and just started doing hydroton. This is my second grow this way and the second time these appeared. I never could figure it out before and it just got worse and worse. No matter what I did. All the hydroton is brand new. I cleaned the hydroton as best I could and even ran the system with just water before transplanting the plants in. So therewouldnt be to much dust. I also soaked them for 48 hours in 5.8 water.
Hydroton drip advice for plant issues needed
Hydroton drip advice for plant issues needed 2

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Pictures of the full plants please? And more info about the grow would help also.

IndicaPursuit

IndicaPursuit

I don't understand what else you need to know. Temperature is 80. Humidity is 55. No CO2.

I clone do 1 week of acclimation, 2 weeks of Veg before switching to flower. I've been doing it this way for 2 years in Coco. But I did a test run in a 4x2 table with hydroton and loved the results. So I switched my big table to hydroton. But now this is my second run and the same thing that happened before happened. I don't understand. I can't find anything about using hydroton that suggest I have to change up my nutrients. I used to use coco specific Advanced for coco. Just switched to the regular version for hydroton.

Please don't want to hear anybodies grief about Advanced. I've never had an issue and I don't care about price. Thanks in advance for not making that a topic.

20210713 195419
20210713 195353

IndicaPursuit

IndicaPursuit

Forgot ph and ppm. My bad.. I've been checking the ph regularly and adjusting it to 5.8. Though when the lights came on it had gone up to 6.2 well I slept last night. Adjusted back down to 5.8.
Ppms are at 900. Which is usually were I have it for switching to flower.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Plants look great, if those are the only 2 leaves in the entire grow with a blemish, I wouldn't worry about it right now IMO. The only issue I noticed from your information is the pH went from 5.8 to 6.2 overnight. it should rise .1-.2 daily, so I would just keep an eye on the pH every 12 hours or so to keep track of it. If that keeps rising that much every night, you might need to fix that issue.

With my rez the tap water takes 24 hours to stabilize, so after I add nutrients it goes down to 6.7-6.9. I then pH down to 5.8-6.0, then the next day it is back to 6.7. So I pH down 1 more time to 5.9 or so and it stays there for 3-4 days, it might rise .1 everyday. I say this to tell you it might be the same issue you have, once you change out the rez with fresh water it might take a day for the pH to stabilize. I don't know why this happens though, something about off gassing or something lol.

Keep us posted on the grow please, looks stellar.

IndicaPursuit

IndicaPursuit

Thanks man. I was thinking the ph was a possible suspect. But it's not the only two leaves. There are about 5-10 like that on different plants. Those were just the worse off. Some of the other have a clear yellowing in between the veins. Which I know is a magnesium lockout or deficiency.
I also had the lights on 50% and turned them up to 75% last night before bed. Wondering if the extra light made them work harder when lights off use more Nutrient then they had stored up. Idk just spit balling causes.

IndicaPursuit

IndicaPursuit

But then there are like way more plants without any signs of anything.

freezeland2

freezeland2

When I was running a flood in hydroton I used dynagro nutrients and kept my ph 5.8 Had great results. Not sure what nutrients you are using but dynagro is hard to beat for ease of use and produced results in hydroton.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

The vast majority of the plants from what I seen looks great. Maybe crank up the light intensity a lil slower and just make sure the pH stays where it needs to be. All other factors seem within acceptable range. But I will say RH for the temp it is at seems a tad bit low for the veg stage. I like it at 80 degrees and 65% RH in veg, but I don't think it is making a significant difference.

IndicaPursuit

IndicaPursuit

I actually did just change my setting for humidity to 60. It was still set to end of my last grow which ended a week ago. Thanks for listening. I'll update the thread in a week.

vchavez

vchavez

I have a 4x4 flood table top drip hydroton medium. I water 15 minutes on 60 off. I use 2 Mars Hydro Sp3000. It's day 3 of flower and just had some unwanted signs on my fans leaves at the top of the plant. Just trying to see if you guys have any idea what it could be. I thought maybe magnesium or calcium def. I used to use coco and just started doing hydroton. This is my second grow this way and the second time these appeared. I never could figure it out before and it just got worse and worse. No matter what I did. All the hydroton is brand new. I cleaned the hydroton as best I could and even ran the system with just water before transplanting the plants in. So therewouldnt be to much dust. I also soaked them for 48 hours in 5.8 water. View attachment 1145711View attachment 1145712

For me this is a Calmag deficiency !! I use Floraflex and coco with perlite with LECs 315. I beed reading that using Led's plants eat more CalMag. By the way I'm changing from 4 LECS 315 to 4 Mars Hydro SP-3000 did you like them ?

Cheers !

IndicaPursuit

IndicaPursuit

Im actually pretty sure i know what I did. I think I used the Grow A and B instead of Bloom A and B. Because when I redid the reservoir the problem went away. Plus on refill I grabbed the Grow on accident before realizing it wasn't right. Figure I probably did the same thing before.
So for the first 4-days of flowering it had the wrong base.
Everything is going awesome and looking good now.
20210731 182401

Top Bottom