Hydroton Pellets question

• Thread starter redog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redog

Ok,so I spent some Jack at the local Hydro store.Going to try this DWC system out.Not going to drill holes in the bucket for lines or water level(unless there is a reason for it other than preference.)First question: Should I rinse the pellets in any kind of solution?
The water turned orange and not sure if rinsing would change that.Next question is about nuts in water.Have a gallon of General Hydroponics Flora-Gro 2-1-6 and the way I figure it,for 3 & a 1/2 gal bucket it only takes 1/4 teaspoon times 3.Should this sit for a while before netpot inserted in to water/solution.What type of reading should I be looking for with seedlings?
I really dug the ebb and flow systems this guy had in the store.Seems like that system might be easier on the wallet just because the pumps don't run all the time.
Anybody agree?

C

Cheeseus

Yes you want to rinse want to rinse your grow rox until your water is clear. If you are new to hydro i would suggest using GH 3 part at the ratio of 8ml/gal Micro and 16ml/gal Blloom. You can use this ratio from veg all the way through flowering. Just make sure you add the Micro first to the water, Mix, then add Bloom. You should return the grow cause it really is not needed. You do NEED MICRO in conjunction with either Grow or Bloom.

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
i dont run em in any solution just make shure u rinse well till the water comes clean

R

redog

Yes you want to rinse want to rinse your grow rox until your water is clear. If you are new to hydro i would suggest using GH 3 part at the ratio of 8ml/gal Micro and 16ml/gal Blloom. You can use this ratio from veg all the way through flowering. Just make sure you add the Micro first to the water, Mix, then add Bloom. You should return the grow cause it really is not needed. You do NEED MICRO in conjunction with either Grow or Bloom.

So your saying the GH I bought isn't used ever?And I MUST use the micro during this early stage?

C

Cheeseus

So your saying the GH I bought isn't used ever?And I MUST use the micro during this early stage?

Yes you need to use MICRO it has all of your trace elements etc. You can use GROW but to make things easier for someone new to Hydro you should use a simple nutrient program. The 8ml/gal Micro and 16ml/gal formula ihas proven its self time and time again. Dont use any other additives, bloom enhancers etc. they are just not needed aka Snake Oils. KISS (Keep It SIMPLE Stupid) is the way to go the first time around until you get the hang of it. Then if you are the type try other programs. JMHO

R

redog

Ok.
Paid a visit to the Hydro store today and picked up some Micro for the bottle of Grow that I bought earlier.
If I understand you correctly,I can use GH 3 part Flora series(Micro,Grow,Bloom) to keep it simple,but you say to only use the Micro-Grow or the Micro-Bloom only.
I don't get the 3 part bit?Why is it called 3 part?
Funny the guy at the store said you could grow anything with just the GH Grow.

Does anybody ever use simple green to clean buckets and stuff?
Don't think it would be smart to clean the hydroton with simple green though.

A

astro

I use hot water with a little clorox to clean about everything.

A

astro

Put a search in for "Lucas formula" that will explain the micro, flower nute combo.

The Joker

The Joker

And remember the Lucas formula only works in RO water. I tried it in tap and it was a disaster.

I use Highgrade's method from OG although I think he is also on this site. Works fine with tap.

1=5ml per 3 gallons

3-2-1 = 15 ml=10ml-5ml grow, micro , bloom. Gh is a little defecient so some people use epsom salts, I use calmag.

It depends on your system and your water. Watch what your plants tell you. I've gotten bigger yields with less PPM than I was told . Counter intuitive, but you'll get it dialed in. Just figure out what works best for YOU.

My first few grows were great, then i started taking advise on nutes, pruning all sorts of things. Nothing worked as good as what I lucked out on to start. Now I'm back to what I did in the beginning with a few minor differences.( Budswell)

Good luck and have fun!

You can also drill holes in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and use that to clean your rocks.

S

snowkitty

First question: Should I rinse the pellets in any kind of solution?
The water turned orange and not sure if rinsing would change that.

RINSE RINSE RINSE RINSE RINSE

pause

POWER WASH RINSE POWER WASH SLOSH TURN RINSE

smoke

RINSE WASH SLOSH SMOOSH WASH

I learned the hard way that more rinsing with hydroton the better...and now my partner has made me abandon it alltogether as the cause of our pH problems. I can't say if that's the sole cause or if my lack of good rinsing skill was involved or what.

"Rising" might not be the right word, too. If you want to get rid of all that sludge it's not gonna happen by running the hose over a pile of it no matter how long you leave it sitting. You need to move it around in a big bathtub of water...you need a lot of water all around the balls...not just a little trickle running over over your pile. I don't want the sediment in my bathtub and I wasn't very thorough when I tried to do it in any smaller container...ugh

C

crippled1

I alway rinse well with plain tap water.

I am also convinced that new rocks will cause a ph rise.

Over time this goes away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom