I am unable to explain run off pH increase

• Thread starter Amatfumusviriditas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

I seem to be having some form of strong buffering effect coming from grow media as pH of solution input is drastically climbing.
Today, pH in around 6.1 (usually around 6.3, but I decreased trying to diagnose issues I’ve posted earlier). Immediate reading of output pH already 7-7.1 and after sitting a couple hours had increased to 7.8-7.9.ive never experienced this effect before. Tested soil pH with basic probe it indicated around 6.5. Unused input solution stable at initial reading.
Nothing has changed significantly in my grow, same water source(glacier dispenser), same nutrients (jacks 321 w/ recharge and tribus) only different Si and fulvic. Same brand soil ( FF happy frog with added EWC and perlite 10:2:2). I’ve been struggling this run and having a hard time figuring out why. Initially thought light stress and/or Mg def (based on info in other threads) but now with this pH thing I’m stumped. Temps and humidity more dialed in than ever. Based on previous limited experience it seems things should be rocking not struggling. I’m using a new light (HLG 350R) that initially I figured was too much but I’ve been checking PPFD with photone app and keeping it dialed back (around 200 PPFD) There are some pics in initial thread.
Not sure where to go from here or what best intervention to be. Mixed genetics about 24 days from breaking soil.
I’m seeing a little stabilization if not improvement with after foliar of light mgso4 and an initial couple flush/feed to stabilize runoff as early intervention due to runoff with elevated ppm/ec. This is now closer to normal but pH has never ramped up like this.

Ponky

Ponky

Fulvic acid and live soil. And armor si itself have dramatic effects on PH. I've stopped using both. Have seen improved yield and potency. Ashes stay white. Not sure if that's it. But I'm also hesitant on FOX farms soil. Not sure what you cab do now. But I would use soil and amendments. Or promix and bottled foods. Soil is a tricky mistress.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Maybe they mixed in too much limestone or oyster shells at the dirt factory. If it just keeps going back up to near 8, I'm guessing there are solids that dissolve a little, every time you put in that slightly acidic watering solution.

I added too much dolomite once and in trying to get it out, I ended up with assorted over-watering issues and at the end, a mediocre yield. Depending on how far along you are, you may want to start over.

Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

Maybe they mixed in too much limestone or oyster shells at the dirt factory. If it just keeps going back up to near 8, I'm guessing there are solids that dissolve a little, every time you put in that slightly acidic watering solution.

I added too much dolomite once and in trying to get it out, I ended up with assorted over-watering issues and at the end, a mediocre yield. Depending on how far along you are, you may want to start over.
Having to start over has crossed my mind unfortunately. This would be 1 month lost basically. The warnings from your experience are ringing loud in my ears, what’s the saying about throwing good money after bad? I appreciate the insight. Considering migrating to coco or bugbys peat/vermiculite since I’m already committed to jacks for awhile. If anyone else has input I’m still listening, or advice on transitioning to an inert media.

Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

I’m wondering about taking cuttings from what I’ve got going now and restarting in new media, (after they root).
is this contraindicated as they are not thriving or would this be a viable loophole to starting over?

Ponky

Ponky

Clones grow in the media you place them.
ProMix HD is popular and forgiving. Cheap. And works extremely well with 1 part foods. Mixing a bunch of soil and amendments together only works if you have a known good recipe. Otherwise you're guessing.

Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

Clones grow in the media you place them.
ProMix HD is popular and forgiving. Cheap. And works extremely well with 1 part foods. Mixing a bunch of soil and amendments together only works if you have a known good recipe. Otherwise you're guessing.
My soil mix is basically unchanged past several runs, FFHF cut with perlite and EWC, has been working without issue. Open to switching to pro mix, coco or similar, not yet made up my mind and appreciate the suggestion.
My question isn’t about what media to grow the clone, but rather am in shooting myself in the foot taking cuttings from a stressed plant?
Will they have the potential to recover and get down to business or are they compromised?
I’ve cloned successfully in the past but not the experience to know if it’s a good idea in this situation. Thanks

Ponky

Ponky

I'd try to darken it up a bit before cloning. Stressed mothers that drop successful clones are a good thing. Means the genetics are good. Just nurture the clones to health.

Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

I'd try to darken it up a bit before cloning. Stressed mothers that drop successful clones are a good thing. Means the genetics are good. Just nurture the clones
Thanks for the info

Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

Yeah, I’m a dumbass noob, but I think I figured it out. Found a note I had added azomite this time, supposed to not affect pH. On a hunch I ran leftover nutrient solution through leftover base soil by itself and no significant change in pH, but the mix with added azomite showed same results I’m seeing with the plants. Looks like I’m taking cuttings and hoping for fast rooting. Might just go ahead and start more seeds. Doubt uppotting with fresh soil will solve my problem.

Ponky

Ponky

Yeah, I’m a dumbass noob, but I think I figured it out. Found a note I had added azomite this time, supposed to not affect pH. On a hunch I ran leftover nutrient solution through leftover base soil by itself and no significant change in pH, but the mix with added azomite showed same results I’m seeing with the plants. Looks like I’m taking cuttings and hoping for fast rooting. Might just go ahead and start more seeds. Doubt uppotting with fresh soil will solve my problem.
I'd hammer out a crop with using a simple method. Make sure you have some weed. A surplus for the year even. And then try again to grow in soil. I've been trying stuff a lot. Lately I've been into growing as simply as possible. So anyone can step in and take care of the plants at any time without risking a disaster.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I seem to be having some form of strong buffering effect coming from grow media as pH of solution input is drastically climbing.
pH Info

Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

I'd hammer out a crop with using a simple method. Make sure you have some weed. A surplus for the year even. And then try again to grow in soil. I've been trying stuff a lot. Lately I've been into growing as simply as possible. So anyone can step in and take care of the plants at any time without risking a disaster.
Yeah, the Bruce bugbee method seems interesting and simple. I switched to jacks for simplicity and have been very happy with it, last couple runs pretty much trouble free. I got overconfident and the problems that come along with it. I am effectively humbled and refocused, lol. Also going to report my experience on the azomite thread I was resourcing. Thanks everyone

Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

Finally seem to be getting things turned around, and originals are improving. Took multiple cuttings, some beginning to root. Also started a few seeds just in case. Transplanted last 4 today and will give a week or so before 12/12. Going to start a veg tent for overflow.
I appreciate the advice I received, and @mysticepipedon , your insight really allowed me to zero in on the problem, thanks. Shoutout to @Ponky too for the cloning info.

Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

Finishing week 1of 12/12, relatively happy at how things have bounced back, I’m about a month behind intended schedule, but I’ll take what I’ve got plus the learning experience. Nearly all cuttings rooted and back-up seeds I popped will probably stay in 1 gallons and just go into flower room in about a week as is, whatever happens happens-

IMG 4091
IMG 4092
IMG 4093
Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

Hey, nice heads up guys,I sense the “ learn from our experience “ tone and after a little thought agree that I’m setting up chores I don’t need. Appreciate you stopping by and taking the time to point me in the “right” direction. (Note-pictured are in 3 gal, 1 gal are not shown)

Latest posts

Top Bottom