I am worried October frost will stop my plants from finishing the flower cycle

• Thread starter Hanta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hanta

Hanta

Anyone outdoor growing In Canada? Need help. I am In Kelowna, BC
I don't even see any pistils yet forming and I am thinking the ground will freeze before the buds fully develop :(

Any Ideas on keeping soil temp up? ideas how to Shorten the flowering period? I cant really run and blackout cloths to force flowering now...

Any help is greatly appreciated

Hanta

Hanta

Also wondering if hay would help increase soil temp? There's arguments for both sides, one that it insulates the soil, but also keeps moisture in which can freeze and decrease temps in the more moist months which is what I'm worried about. Also saw a big grow tour in north Washington and they do light dep (which I can't do easily) because the moisture would lead to bud rot. Me being further north, My issue is ground frost freezing the roots.

no bals

no bals

Well the plant will be dead long before you have to worry about the roots freezing. A good long night below freezing will kill most of it above ground.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Also wondering if hay would help increase soil temp? There's arguments for both sides, one that it insulates the soil, but also keeps moisture in which can freeze and decrease temps in the more moist months which is what I'm worried about. Also saw a big grow tour in north Washington and they do light dep (which I can't do easily) because the moisture would lead to bud rot. Me being further north, My issue is ground frost freezing the roots.

Your best bet IMO, if possible, is an outdoor space heater. If the ground gets to the point where it's frozen, everything above it that's frost-sensitive will be long gone, but you could hope to create a little microclimate around your ladies with some wind management.

teejacks

teejacks

I've heard somewhere that chicken manure will hold heat better come the colder months. Could try a layer of that depending on what your soil mixture already is

Top Bottom