I can not figure this out. Top leaves keep going yellowish and dropping.

• Thread starter Seshlife
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Man at the risk of sounding like a smartass, how can anyone work out if you've got too much or too little if anything if you don't know what they're getting? Environment is 90% of everything if not more. You can test lux levels using a smartphone. For iPhone the app you want is photone. But you need to start knowing how much your plants are drinking, all of this is really vital info for any grower. Are your lights delivering too much light she forcing your plants into nutrient stress? There's so many possibilities you'll need to provide a lot of info for anyone here to offer you helpful advice. I'd start with the light metre it will either identify the issue or rule out a very common cause of issues ✌️

Seshlife

Seshlife

Man at the risk of sounding like a smartass, how can anyone work out if you've got too much or too little if anything if you don't know what they're getting? Environment is 90% of everything if not more. You can test lux levels using a smartphone. For iPhone the app you want is photone. But you need to start knowing how much your plants are drinking, all of this is really vital info for any grower. Are your lights delivering too much light she forcing your plants into nutrient stress? There's so many possibilities you'll need to provide a lot of info for anyone here to offer you helpful advice. I'd start with the light metre it will either identify the issue or rule out a very common cause of issues ✌️
It’s not the damn light dude. I’ve done ten runs with the same lights. Never have done that before and have never had issues. My water is full of iron and is affecting my ph. Read up a bit, all the information is there if you’re actually able to help you’d be able to. 600 watts of light isn’t enough to ruin a crop one way or the other.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

It’s not the damn light dude. I’ve done ten runs with the same lights. Never have done that before and have never had issues. My water is full of iron and is affecting my ph. Read up a bit, all the information is there if you’re actually able to help you’d be able to. 600 watts of light isn’t enough to ruin a crop one way or the other.
Well that wraps up the thread then. You've already solved the problem, so why you clogging up a nice thread with your welfare plants? You've been asked 90 times by people with an interest in helping to provide basic grow info and you don't seem up to it. Perhaps the issue is genetics (not the plants).

growsince79

growsince79

600w would kill my plants, unless it was 4' high.

Seshlife

Seshlife

Not enough info on the lights yet bro. I also run 600w of Mars Hydro so gave an idea of what they throw out. What height/setting are you using?
L
Well that wraps up the thread then. You've already solved the problem, so why you clogging up a nice thread with your welfare plants? You've been asked 90 times by people with an interest in helping to provide basic grow info and you don't seem up to it. Perhaps the issue is genetics (not the plants).
somebody else with actual knowledge has already helped me. Thank you for your uselessness. And bro I will run circles around your grow and final product lol. You have no idea. Only reason I’m on here is because my water is fucked up and I wanted a few extra eyes on them. You didn’t help…. At all. Other people did though.

EnzTeef

EnzTeef

hello my friend
Your space i a little overcrowded and your lights are too far from your plants, If your ph is still climbing it could be a problem with root rot Picture number one shows some necrotic spots brown through yellow , your plants have septoria (blackspot !) the same fungus infection that affects roses and weeds in the garden , I have had this same issue only recently so I do know what I'm talking about , Leaf Septoria to be clear
It greatly impacts yield too mate it will find its way into damaged foliage or any area that the plant has damage , it's a bastard to get rid of and it only takes a few fungus gnats to bring it back again.
infected leaves fail to detach from the stem then they go brown and infect the entire area around where it is attached.
I threw away 6 train wreck clones plus my Franco's lemon cheese keeper
I grow from seed only now , this is a direct result of repeated infection of my clones with leaf septoria.
I grow in a Wilma system so its a drip irrigation recirculating run to waste system so as you can appreciate i don't want to put anything dodgy into the loop.
In all the years i have been growing i have persevered through all kinds of fungus and bacterial plant infections and tbh the results are never what you wanted.
Just my humble opinion my friend.
sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

L

somebody else with actual knowledge has already helped me. Thank you for your uselessness. And bro I will run circles around your grow and final product lol. You have no idea. Only reason I’m on here is because my water is fucked up and I wanted a few extra eyes on them. You didn’t help…. At all. Other people did though.
😂

Seshlife

Seshlife

hello my friend
Your space i a little overcrowded and your lights are too far from your plants, If your ph is still climbing it could be a problem with root rot Picture number one shows some necrotic spots brown through yellow , your plants have septoria (blackspot !) the same fungus infection that affects roses and weeds in the garden , I have had this same issue only recently so I do know what I'm talking about , Leaf Septoria to be clear
It greatly impacts yield too mate it will find its way into damaged foliage or any area that the plant has damage , it's a bastard to get rid of and it only takes a few fungus gnats to bring it back again.
infected leaves fail to detach from the stem then they go brown and infect the entire area around where it is attached.
I threw away 6 train wreck clones plus my Franco's lemon cheese keeper
I grow from seed only now , this is a direct result of repeated infection of my clones with leaf septoria.
I grow in a Wilma system so its a drip irrigation recirculating run to waste system so as you can appreciate i don't want to put anything dodgy into the loop.
In all the years i have been growing i have persevered through all kinds of fungus and bacterial plant infections and tbh the results are never what you wanted.
Just my humble opinion my friend.
sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear
Thank you bro! I appreciate your time and response. I think the root issue is spot on. My water had been sky rocketing in Ph and I have def been overwatering. I hope I can bring them back.

EnzTeef

EnzTeef

Thank you bro! I appreciate your time and response. I think the root issue is spot on. My water had been sky rocketing in Ph and I have def been overwatering. I hope I can bring them back.
good luck !

Mrb53

Mrb53

Just found this and looked at the pics...lets do process of elimination
IMO - only a little over watered, not enough to cause your issues.
Yellowing - comes from -Iron deficiency, lights too strong / close (light stress), Boron deficiency but only when too dry, not over watered, Sulfur deficiency...
The damage on the leaves looks like bugs ( I doubt that), pH fluctuations (my top choice - which would also result in messing up the nutes which in result blocks nutes (to the new growth first and thus yellow at the tips), and possibly calcium (which nutes and pH can mess with)
Have you thought of FLUSHING? Defoliation won't make the problem go away...not related but not a bad idea.
Check distance to tops of plants and place a thermometer up there. I doubt heat is the issue as leaves would respond accordingly...but could be light stress. Consider lowering light strength a little.

Mrb53

Mrb53

I just remembered something else. A friend of mine had an issue with yellowing tops and it was remedied by making a tea. He used the tops of strawberries soaked in water. That points to zinc. What he did not have was the leaf damage you have and that just shouts "something is wrong with the nutes or the pH" uless you dripped / spilled or sprayed something that caused the damage. Maybe 2 separate things, maybe not but it sure does lower the choices of whats wrong here.
You obviously are NOT a newbie and have a real good sense of what you are doing.

Seshlife

Seshlife

I just remembered something else. A friend of mine had an issue with yellowing tops and it was remedied by making a tea. He used the tops of strawberries soaked in water. That points to zinc. What he did not have was the leaf damage you have and that just shouts "something is wrong with the nutes or the pH" uless you dripped / spilled or sprayed something that caused the damage. Maybe 2 separate things, maybe not but it sure does lower the choices of whats wrong here.
You obviously are NOT a newbie and have a real good sense of what you are doing.
Yeah man I’m really thinking my raising ph and iron content in my water is messing me up. I have an older ro system that spits water out at 90ppm and 5.8 ph. Obviously ro is supposed to be 0ppm and 7ph. When I add ph up to my water/ nutrient solution sometimes it will even go down at first. I move in a week. Yay for tap water with Flouride in it! Lol. I did a slurry test and it def came back high at 7.5-7.8 ph. I need to get it down for sure. And let my pots dry out a bit. Thanks for the advice.

EnzTeef

EnzTeef

Yeah man I’m really thinking my raising ph and iron content in my water is messing me up. I have an older ro system that spits water out at 90ppm and 5.8 ph. Obviously ro is supposed to be 0ppm and 7ph. When I add ph up to my water/ nutrient solution sometimes it will even go down at first. I move in a week. Yay for tap water with Flouride in it! Lol. I did a slurry test and it def came back high at 7.5-7.8 ph. I need to get it down for sure. And let my pots dry out a bit. Thanks for the advice.
does your reverse osmosis softener use salt ? can u guess where this is going ?
buy a gallon of cheap still mineral water and water with that, it could be sodium poisoning.
salt-based water softeners.

This type of water softener uses the ion exchange process to remove calcium and magnesium minerals from water. In this water treatment process, the calcium and magnesium are attracted to a media bed containing sodium ions. When the hardness ions stick to the media, the sodium ions are released into water, thus swapping the calcium and magnesium for sodium.

Seshlife

Seshlife

does your reverse osmosis softener use salt ? can u guess where this is going ?
buy a gallon of cheap still mineral water and water with that, it could be sodium poisoning.
salt-based water softeners.

This type of water softener uses the ion exchange process to remove calcium and magnesium minerals from water. In this water treatment process, the calcium and magnesium are attracted to a media bed containing sodium ions. When the hardness ions stick to the media, the sodium ions are released into water, thus swapping the calcium and magnesium for sodium.
Holy shit. That’s it bro! My softener uses tons of salt! Even through the osmosis tank under the sink the humidifier puts out salt crystals. This is the awnser. Because when I use jug water from the store none of this happens.

Treecutter

Treecutter

Could this be from overwatering and high Ph? I gave them 6.0 water at 150ppm yesterday. But now lights are going off so they’re droopy
In mixed soils I run 6.0 to 6.2 ph in veg but I run 500 ppm on new veg and work up to 1000 ppm before flower. Thats revers osmosis water with either Alaskan fish fertilizer, FF Grow Big or any other nute thats high in nitrogen in one feed for the week. I water every 2-3 days not over watering. The next feed is just declorinated tap water. The next feed is 1tsp calmag 1 Tbl spoon black strap molasses, 2 Tablespoons brown sugar. Next feed declorinated water, next feed back to the nitrogen.

New leaf growth issues are usualy from micro neutrients but you usually see the signs in your bigger old leaf.

If your plants were mine and they looked like that, I would be concerned with Calmag, nitrogen over wattering and heat. But that could be the lights causing it too look like that. Best way to see what you plant is looking like is to take it out and look at it under sun light. It will be a hell of a lot greener looking than under grow lights so you will be able to tell whats going on.

But the leaves drooping and taco-ing is a sure sign of over watering because they can't perspire enough water off to cool off.

Get some fans going, and give it a better feed than 100 ppm thro some calmag and nitrogen on it and it should clean it up.

The over watering is whats also contributing to the signs of root rot and extra salt isn't helping.

Hope you get it cleaned up. If the softener contributed to it, I would flush the soil with yucca extract and start your feed back over. But as you stated in the above quote you were at 100ppm. I've seen weed grow in some nasty crap but I've never seen it grow without its basic neutrients.

Last edited:
Allegedly

Allegedly

yes it is

Treecutter

Treecutter

True but thats not all of it.. If it doesn't have the micro nutes it needs the entire plant will start turning from solid green to lime green.

Grow lights always screw people one way or the other. They either think the plants not getting enough of something or they think there getting too much.

Look at a plant in a grow tent and take a pic of it. Then take it out in the sun light and look at it and take a picture of it.

Buy the time your plant is eating itself your a couple weeks or more late. Growing outdoors you catch it right away because the color change of the entire plant happens first and you can see it.

Treecutter

Treecutter

Holy shit. That’s it bro! My softener uses tons of salt! Even through the osmosis tank under the sink the humidifier puts out salt crystals. This is the awnser. Because when I use jug water from the store none of this happens.
Dude, run a line off the supply to the hose to your RO. Don't run a salt softner through your RO.

My RO is straight off the main to the house. I tee-d off the line supplying the RO filter between the sediment and carbon filters and put a valve on it. This allows me to run declorinated tap or RO off the same system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom