I cannot get any clone to root

• Thread starter Gine2g
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gine2g

Gine2g

Hey Guys,

So this is my 5th attempt to clone my Outdoor plants. They are All health and growing big.
But none ov my clones ever root. I tried everything I read:

-with and without Dome
-Rooting hormones
-scraping the bottom stam and the angled cut
-just putting them into a cup of water
-directly in soil
-using easy plugs

Nothing ever works. No later than one week the leafs All are hanging down or are yellow. When I wait 2 weeks nothing else happens and everytime I checked after 2 weeks and pulled them out of the easy plug they are All just brown at the stem and nothing else happend.

What am I doing wrong? I heard people even get them too root in a glass of water under a Window. I use a single e27 light bulb with 20watts, but also tried 3 of them. It's around 20-22 degrees C and when the light turns off around 18 degrees. They get 18/6 light/dark.

The pictures I uploaded are my current try in just water or soil. They are one week old.

I cannot get any clone to root
I cannot get any clone to root 2
I cannot get any clone to root 3
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Shameless stole this to post. Hope it helps.

This is a question that many growers tend to ask themselves; why aren’t my clones rooting? There can be many reasons but when it happens and you have no idea why it tends to be down to a small minor mistake that was made when making the cuts or during the rooting process itself.

In this article we’re going to go through a series of mistakes that people tend to make which can then cause the downfall of your clones. We’re going to talk about rooting clones in rockwool, jiffy’s or small flower pots, as all three methods are done in more or less the same way.

Mistakes when taking cuttings:
  • You need to take the cutting from the mother plant in a way so that you can then bury one of the nodes in a flowerpot and still have space between the substrate and the first leaves on the clone, so that there’s ventilation and you don’t get any rot. Taking cuttings that are too small will make it harder to spray them properly.
  • The rooting medium must be humid, having used water with a pH of 6.0, which will immensely help them to root properly.
  • Make sure you don’t wet the medium too much as the trunk might rot and then it won’t root at all.
  • Another common mistake that people make is scraping the cutting too much when taking it. Cannabis plants have natural rooting hormones under their second layer of skin – if you peal this skin too much they will never root.
  • Cutting at a 45º angle is done so that the stem doesn’t get blocked up, but if you directly submerge the stem into your rooting hormone then it can still get blocked. The trick here is to take a little brush such as an eyebrow shaper or a small, thin paint brush and use that to spread some rooting hormone on the stem.
  • Rooting hormones are alive, and sometimes you can ruin them if you contaminate them with something. Every time you take cuttings, pour a little bit of rooting hormone into a shot glass so that you’re not contaminating the contents of the bottle – keep the bottle in the fridge as it will last much longer without going off.
  • You need to cut the leaves slightly when you take cuttings but make sure you don’t take too much off – leave around 60% of each leaf on the plant.
  • It’s practically impossible to do this without a propagator or small greenhouse, as humidity needs to be at around 90% for them to root. I’ve tried it in all sorts of ways but the best one without a doubt is doing it in a propagator made specifically for rooting cuttings.
Mistakes when maintaining cuttings:
To keep your clones alive while they root you need to follow a series of steps that if not done correctly could cause your clones to die off – if you follow these steps and don’t make any of these mistakes your clones will have a happy, healthy future ahead of them.

• When planting the cuttings, you need to wet your rooting medium such as a jiffy or rockwool – and then you don’t need to water it again until they actually root, around day 10 after taking the cuttings.
  • Don’t spray them on the top of the leaves, but rather on the bottom of the leaves – if you spray them when they’re standing upright you’ll wet the substrate and they’ll take much longer to root. You need to remove them from the propagator one by one, spray them outside the propagator and shake the excess drops of water off of them before sticking them back in. If you have them in jiffy trays or rockwool trays you can cut them in groups of 10 (2×5) which you’ll be able to easily remove with one hand, spray upside down and put them back in.
  • You need to keep them at around 22º – if they get too cold they won’t root at all, and if it’s too hot the roots will die off instantly.
  • You need to open the lid once a day so that they get some new air, as well as drying the drops of condensation on the inside of the propagator. If there’s water on the bottom of the propagator you’ll need to dry that too or the substrate will get too wet.
  • You don’t need to water the substrate or use anything in it – once the cutting roots and you can transplant it there will be time for watering and nutrients.
  • You need to spray them every second day, opening the lid every day though.
  • Don’t let them get too hot – there are heating blankets especially made for them, but electric blankets used around the house can easily kill them off.
Whichever way you decide to do it, you should go check out our article on making cuttings as it has a lot of valuable information on the whole process.

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to leave a comment and our team of experts will get back to you as soon as possible.

Author: Javier Chinesta

growsince79

growsince79

Raise the temp to 27_28 remove all full size leaf. Use jiffy pots moist bot not soaked. Keep dome on. Roots in 10 days

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hey Guys,

So this is my 5th attempt to clone my Outdoor plants. They are All health and growing big.

-with and without Dome
-Rooting hormones
-directly in soil
-using easy plugs

Nothing ever works. No later than one week the leafs All are hanging down or are yellow. When I wait 2 weeks nothing else happens and everytime I checked after 2 weeks and pulled them out of the easy plug they are All just brown at the stem and nothing else happend.

What am I doing wrong? I heard people even get them too root in a glass of water under a Window. I use a single e27 light bulb with 20watts, but also tried 3 of them. It's around 20-22 degrees C and when the light turns off around 18 degrees. They get 18/6 light/dark.

The pictures I uploaded are my current try in just water or soil. They are one week old.

For rooting in glass of water need to cover more of the stem and no saran wrap. Change water when it gets cloudy. Usually takes 2-3 weeks to show roots then plant in cup of soil or whatever.

growsince79

growsince79

Hey Guys,

-with and without Dome
-Rooting hormones
-directly in soil
-using easy plugs

The first pic I see 6 leaves I would have removed. My method differs from most. I remove everything except the growing tip. 95percent sucsess rate.

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

Hey Guys,

Been a while for me. But from my experience looking at your pics.

You have too much soil in that first one. The medium is too big. Seedlings want to dry out a little bit just like when they are grown up. Use a smaller medium and it shouldn't stay soaked soaked for days on end. I've had success with rockwool. It makes it easy to see when they've rooted and the growth.

The clipping is too big. Too many leaves for the little girl to support. It's possible to root it larger and I'm sure there are differing opinions on cutting size and well about pretty much everything.

Use the rooting hormone and keep everything very clean. Be gentle with them. They are very susceptible to shock.

One challenge might be you are taking the outdoor plant and putting it in an indoor environment to propagate. So there is a certain shock to the clippings perhaps. I've only done cloning indoors.

The ability for a mom to be easily cloned is also related obviously to genetics. So it might be that your strain is difficult to clone.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
You also need to do angled cuts not straight at least 30degres did you use a blade to cut or scissors to do the cuts if so the cambium layer has been damaged and it will try to repair the area first before it wants to strike . Od .

mancorn

mancorn

Hey Guys,

-with and without Dome
-Rooting hormones
-directly in soil
-using easy plugs

I just “found” this little gal this morning as I had forgot about it. Was sitting in my kitchen window in a shot glass. But it took a ridiculously long time to root, like 3 weeks. The water had all evaporated (I presume just recently). Definitely not the way to do it.
9F3C66A3 203D 4C39 9162 6A650BBAFB8A

I clone under natural light, with a 100 watt incandescence for heat. The sun comes through window for about 30 minutes a day (which I’ll try to shield if I catch it). I just go with the ambient room temp, which can be anything between 50-80F. I never spray the actual clones but just the dome, and keep water in the bottom tray, with the cubes in a 2nd mesh tray. Normally end up spraying a little water (tap or distilled) on the bottom of the cube a couple times.
E9C6618B 2F63 4037 9291 7B26DAEE92D1

It takes a couple extra days, but pretty much all will pop roots in 10 days.
9DC87673 8567 4848 B9F8 A0150E2CDED6

Don't have much luck going directly into soil, but I always give up after 2 weeks.

mancorn

mancorn

Kind of hard to tell in the picture, but the cut is taken right under a node. The roots are coming out right at or slightly above the node. So I would suggest making your 45 degree cut right below the node.
0679A348 30AA 4EE0 81DC 53DCC28997D9

dire wolf

dire wolf

I just “found” this little gal this morning as I had forgot about it. Was sitting in my kitchen window in a shot glass. But it took a ridiculously long time to root, like 3 weeks. The water had all evaporated (I presume just recently). Definitely not the way to do it.
View attachment 984698

I clone under natural light, with a 100 watt incandescence for heat. The sun comes through window for about 30 minutes a day (which I’ll try to shield if I catch it). I just go with the ambient room temp, which can be anything between 50-80F. I never spray the actual clones but just the dome, and keep water in the bottom tray, with the cubes in a 2nd mesh tray. Normally end up spraying a little water (tap or distilled) on the bottom of the cube a couple times.
View attachment 984700

It takes a couple extra days, but pretty much all will pop roots in 10 days.
View attachment 984702
Don't have much luck going directly into soil, but I always give up after 2 weeks.
Looks nice outside your window ....

mancorn

mancorn

Looks nice outside your window ....
Hopefully the fireman will agree. I have an annual fire inspection and thinking I may get tagged with the junipers getting so close to the house. I usually look pretty neat and tidy, and hope the inspector doesn't cross the yard and look around the corner 😉. (Thinking I'll have the wife nude sunbathing on the grass so he can't intrude.)
8D8F6CBD 0FE4 478C 919A 6B8BB0B8BE6D

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

Here is a link to a thread so I don't have to retype all of it.

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

Nice! It looks like from your other pics you take larger cuttings and put them in the larger rockwool cubes as opposed to the like 1.5"'rs. Is that right?

Top Bottom