I don’t know when to harvest

• Thread starter Mjlynch
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mjlynch

Mjlynch

Hello everyone,

this is my third grow and the first two didn’t really come out the best and I think it’s cause I don’t know when to harvest the plant. I think I’m doing it way to early! I am growing a northern lights auto flower and it looks really good and the buds look like they’re ready but trichomes are milky white from what I can see but I don’t see any amber ones(maybe just looking over them) and leaves are starting to brown and the tips and yellow out but I don’t know if it’s suppose to get brown at the tips. Can someone please help me?

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
How old is it? Lights? Temps? Pics without the blurple light as we cannot see anything significant. Are you checking trichomes with a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe?

growsince79

growsince79

Looks like another week or two. Throw the scope away and listen to your nose.

Mjlynch

Mjlynch

How old is it? Lights? Temps? Pics without the blurple light as we cannot see anything significant. Are you checking trichomes with a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe?
The plant is around 10-12 weeks old and the temps are around 70-75F with an RH of around 70%. I am running a 600W grow star and using both to check trichome color

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Looks like another week or two. Throw the scope away and listen to your nose.
That hasn’t been working since this is his 3rd go I think he needs to dial it in before doing that

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
The plant is around 10-12 weeks old and the temps are around 70-75F with an RH of around 70%. I am running a 600W grow star and using both to check trichome color
Looking pretty good and you say this is your 3rd grow? Have you been able to flower with your RH that high without getting bud rot? I’m flowering you really want it to be lower more so I’m the 40-50 range but some can go higher. 600 true watts or equivalent? I doubt it’s actually 600 watts prolly like 60-100. If they are 12 weeks they should be close. The only way to be sure is to scope your trichomes and see if in fact they have nearly all turned milky and some amber. Don’t look at sugar leaves tho look at the actual bud but they do look dam close. The dry and cure are super important so that could be a part of the process you are not doing properly or optimally.

growsince79

growsince79

Thank you! I’ve been looking at smell more than anything and they smell fantastic
They might smell fantastic now but I'll bet they don't smell ripe - if that makes sense. Unless you know your strain and grow the same clones every time a scope doesn't reall mean shit. One strain might be ripe at first sign of amber, and another might not be ready until it's 25% amber. Scopes are for pros who know their strain. Just my opinion.

Mjlynch

Mjlynch

They might smell fantastic now but I'll bet they don't smell ripe - if that makes sense. Unless you know your strain and grow the same clones every time a scope doesn't reall mean shit. One strain might be ripe at first sign of amber, and another might not be ready until it's 25% amber. Scopes are for pros who know their strain. Just my opinion.
That’s makes perfect sense! And I might wait a lil bit longer just cause the buds are showing intense growth this week but I don’t foresee myself letting them go anything longer than another 2 weeks

growsince79

growsince79

That’s makes perfect sense! And I might wait a lil bit longer just cause the buds are showing intense growth this week but I don’t foresee myself letting them go anything longer than another 2 weeks
Smell them everyday. Once they quit new growth, they should swell and smell stronger than ever.

Mjlynch

Mjlynch

Looking pretty good and you say this is your 3rd grow? Have you been able to flower with your RH that high without getting bud rot? I’m flowering you really want it to be lower more so I’m the 40-50 range but some can go higher. 600 true watts or equivalent? I doubt it’s actually 600 watts prolly like 60-100. If they are 12 weeks they should be close. The only way to be sure is to scope your trichomes and see if in fact they have nearly all turned milky and some amber. Don’t look at sugar leaves tho look at the actual bud but they do look dam close. The dry and cure are super important so that could be a part of the process you are not doing properly or optimally.
I have been able to, but I'm not sure about the bud rot. All I know is that the last two plants haven't smelled like weed more like grass so I think some of it may be the drying and curing like you said, although they did pack a punch. I do believe that its equivalent its just some cheap light of amazon. I think I have the 20th of July marked as the day of harvest so hopefully it works and I will also try and bump that humidity down the best I can because you do make a good point about the RH being too high.

socks4free

socks4free

I have been able to, but I'm not sure about the bud rot. All I know is that the last two plants haven't smelled like weed more like grass so I think some of it may be the drying and curing like you said, although they did pack a punch. I do believe that its equivalent its just some cheap light of amazon. I think I have the 20th of July marked as the day of harvest so hopefully it works and I will also try and bump that humidity down the best I can because you do make a good point about the RH being too high.
If your plants are smelling great while growing, but it tastes and smells like grass/hay after drying your most likely drying too fast and not curing right. Make sure to look up how to dry your bud correctly the longer it takes the better the final product.

Top Bottom