I hate hydroton!!

• Thread starter Kilo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

ogluver

the screen method someone said is the best way I have found. Make a screen with the wood and 1/4" screen. Dump a bunch on the screen and spray with a hose. When reusing the rock first put it all in a 55 gallon drum and add hydrogen peroxide. 1 ounce per gallon of water of the 35% stuff. Let soak for an hour and agitate every 10 minutes or so. Then dump on the screen and rinse. Not really so bad. Reusing is great and you dont have to lug bags of it to the dumps

M

MoleMchenry

I hate cleaning hydroton too. For some people and some setups, it may be easier to just buy new hydroton after each grow, but that depends on grower's finances and preferences, of course.

M

Mystre.Pharmer

I feel the same way about Hydroton! Thats why about a year ago I started growing Ebb & Flow with no medium, the roots just dangle :)

Check it out, let me know what you think feel free to post in my journal all are welcome. I just posted pictures of the roots from day 7 and day 15. if i do say so myself, I think my ladies really like it, AND my end of harvest clean up is practically non existent! cut off one end of my grow tubes, slide out the root mass that all the plants created together, seal the post back up with aquarium silicon, sanitize and reuse the 2" pots and neoprene, put in new clones and repeat ;)

-Pharmer

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Hydrogen peroxide is the SHIT for cleaning your hydroton. On new clay I use tap water, then pure water; you'll get silt from expanded clay for about 3 or 4 cycles. When I wash it before re-using it, I usually soak it overnight first in an enzyme solution, then use hydrogen peroxide, then pure water. I dunk/soak them in pH5.8 water before I actually drop clones in them. haven't had a problem in years. Good Luck. It IS a pain in the ass, but better than buying new stuff every crop...

C

Cygnus

The best thing I ever did was all but eliminate hydroton from my grow. The only place I use it now if for my DWC moms and a small bag lasts a year. Someone mentioned stepping in one and I have to say that is the part I hate the worst of HT.:bong-hits:

yezmar420

yezmar420

me too..that's why I stopped using it. only thing it comes in handy for is something on the bottom of my pots of dirt, helps keep the plants from sitting in water, silt doesn't matter then.

Top Bottom