i have a 2 month old plant (roughly) and it was passed on to me with a really homemade container.

• Thread starter BKNY.420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BKNY.420

Hi my name is Brooklyn and i just started getting into planting and my friend gave me his plant but its in a really super homemade container. All i know is that the plant is in veg and that it does grow and its still growing. Help on the type of pot and transferring and nutes info would b a huge help since im trying to keep the plant alive. Can also provide pictures for better feedback pls help me

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hi my name is Brooklyn and i just started getting into planting and my friend gave me his plant but its in a really super homemade container. All i know is that the plant is in veg and that it does grow and its still growing. Help on the type of pot and transferring and nutes info would b a huge help since im trying to keep the plant alive. Can also provide pictures for better feedback pls help me
pic will get you more help friend

az2000

az2000

Need photos.

If I were you I wouldn't get too deeply into the nutrient topic. Cannabis grows fine without complicated multi-bottle "lineups." Eventually you might want to get into that. But, right now all you need is MiracleGro "Tomato" (or any fertilizer product that says something on the label like 12-12-12 or 16-16-16. I.e., those three numbers balanced like that. Not 4-12-8. The best way to think of this as a ratio. The first two are ratio 1-1-1. The last one is 1-3-2.). I've used "Tomato" to grow a plant. 5/8tsp per gallon of water.

But, it also depends on your soil. If the plant is in soil that already has nutrients, it may be complicated to know if/when to feed more. (If you transplant, maybe you can get the same soil. Otherwise, you need to be careful buying typical potting mixes at retail stores. MiracleGro Organic potting mix is lower in nutrients. Some people grow in that. Black Gold Organic is even lower. I think more people use that. Either way, you should mix perlite into those. I would mix 50/50. But, it may depend on the soil the plant's already in. If it's dense/heavy soil, then I don't think it would be good to make the outer layer of soil too light or you'll have a problem keeping the outer layer wet while the inner layer stays too wet. (Cannabis doesn't like to stay wet. It likes complete wet/dry cycles.).

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
A little more info is needed, but folks here will help you out in many ways. We will need to know the kind of light that you are using, as that is probably the most important ingredient at the moment. Plants need a TON of light, especially compared to houseplants, etc. If it is living in it's present container and growing medium, don't be too eager to change things too much. I grow in Promix, which is great straight out of the bag/bale, but it has very little nutrients built into it. I prefer this because then I am in total control of feeding and minimize issues like overfeeding and overwatering. Other growing mediums work well, but each is a little different. I use generic 20-20-20 fertilizer and wood ashes mixed into the soil. This has worked well from veg to flower and is pretty safe and foolproof. After you get more experience, you might consider using some other types of growing methods... but until then, I would recommend keeping things simple and continue from the person who handed it down to you. Please don't overfeed it, which is the #1 cause of problems for newer growers, in my opinion.

Madbud

Madbud

Your plant will do better in a cloth or mesh bag with handles. Better drainage and air circulation.

B

BKNY.420

Need photos.

If I were you I wouldn't get too deeply into the nutrient topic. Cannabis grows fine without complicated multi-bottle "lineups." Eventually you might want to get into that. But, right now all you need is MiracleGro "Tomato" (or any fertilizer product that says something on the label like 12-12-12 or 16-16-16. I.e., those three numbers balanced like that. Not 4-12-8. The best way to think of this as a ratio. The first two are ratio 1-1-1. The last one is 1-3-2.). I've used "Tomato" to grow a plant. 5/8tsp per gallon of water.

But, it also depends on your soil. If the plant is in soil that already has nutrients, it may be complicated to know if/when to feed more. (If you transplant, maybe you can get the same soil. Otherwise, you need to be careful buying typical potting mixes at retail stores. MiracleGro Organic potting mix is lower in nutrients. Some people grow in that. Black Gold Organic is even lower. I think more people use that. Either way, you should mix perlite into those. I would mix 50/50. But, it may depend on the soil the plant's already in. If it's dense/heavy soil, then I don't think it would be good to make the outer layer of soil too light or you'll have a problem keeping the outer layer wet while the inner layer stays too wet. (Cannabis doesn't like to stay wet. It likes complete wet/dry cycles.).
I just got back from a local gardening store in town and the just happened to have 2 cu. ft of Foxfarm happy frog soil for $13. i figured it be a nice deal and i had got a clay pot for now 3 gallon to use with saucer and gonna try to transfer tonight. The dirt its in is backyard dirt because i can see other sprouts and blades of grass but they just started coming out recently and at a fast pace. Also the homemade pot its in never had drain holes at the bottom but the plant looks healthy and still growing.

az2000

az2000

I just got back from a local gardening store in town and the just happened to have 2 cu. ft of Foxfarm happy frog soil for $13. i figured it be a nice deal and i had got a clay pot for now 3 gallon to use with saucer and gonna try to transfer tonight.

I would mix perlite into that Happy Frog. You said the soil it's currently in is real soil from the backyard. That might complicate making the HF lighter with perlite. But, HF can be slow drying without it.

B

BKNY.420

I would mix perlite into that Happy Frog. You said the soil it's currently in is real soil from the backyard. That might complicate making the HF lighter with perlite. But, HF can be slow drying without it.
I can upload a few photos now if you have the chance

Madbud

Madbud

I just got back from a local gardening store in town and the just happened to have 2 cu. ft of Foxfarm happy frog soil for $13. i figured it be a nice deal and i had got a clay pot for now 3 gallon to use with saucer and gonna try to transfer tonight. The dirt its in is backyard dirt because i can see other sprouts and blades of grass but they just started coming out recently and at a fast pace. Also the homemade pot its in never had drain holes at the bottom but the plant looks healthy and still growing.
Put some crushed stones in the pot for drainage.

B

BKNY.420

I can upload a few photos now if you have the chance
20190802 214431

This is it now Black spots are appearing and she wilts at night but comes up when the humidity in my attic rises in the morning dirt is backyard dirt and pot has no drains (or container i should say)
20190802 214528

It still sprouting more. I did prune dead leaves where leaves where bad and dying and you can see blades of grass im assuming they are and some plant sprouts.
20190802 214453

a closer look into some of the sprouts one still has some dirt or shell on it idk weather to take it off the sprout? but y would another seed sprout now if this plant is roughly 2 months old from what i was told.

20190802 214528
B

BKNY.420

Yeah, a layer of stone in the bottom for drainage. I cover that with weed cloth too. You don’t want wet roots.
thanks ill go out and get a bag of stones tomorrow, wash and set and whats a weed cloth?

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

Hey, congrats on the plant. It's alright, needs some love. Take it out of the container it is in and put it in the new soil ASAP. With no drainage, it could get sick. Might be able to put it right into the new soil if the roots are growing out of the old soil. I would try cutting the bottle off cause otherwise it will make a mess, lol.

I think weed cloth being referred to is landscape cloth , the black tarp like cover used in gardens to prevent seeds from penetrating the soil.

Is this indoor or outdoor?

Madbud

Madbud

Hey, congrats on the plant. It's alright, needs some love. Take it out of the container it is in and put it in the new soil ASAP. With no drainage, it could get sick. Might be able to put it right into the new soil if the roots are growing out of the old soil. I would try cutting the bottle off cause otherwise it will make a mess, lol.

I think weed cloth being referred to is landscape cloth , the black tarp like cover used in gardens to prevent seeds from penetrating the soil.

Yeah, in this case it prevents the soil from settling into the rocks to improve drainage. Any synthetic cloth will work.

B

BKNY.420

the plant has been outdoor from the previous owner so i figured i'd keep tradition going on it and keep it outdoor and keep in the attic in the dark at night and i had bought a clay 3 gallon pot and some happy frog for the pot im willing to transfer tomorrow but would appreciate a step by step if anyone is willing to attach link

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Please don't feed it for a while and keep your eyes open for symptoms of overfeeding (or deficiencies). FF can sometimes cause problems with nutrients when transplanting into it from a less nutrient dense growing medium. I answer a lot of questions that folks seem to have when using it, especially if nutes/fertilizer is also used. It can be too much.

B

BKNY.420

Please don't feed it for a while and keep your eyes open for symptoms of overfeeding (or deficiencies). FF can sometimes cause problems with nutrients when transplanting into it from a less nutrient dense growing medium. I answer a lot of questions that folks seem to have when using it, especially if nutes/fertilizer is also used. It can be too much.
Thanks @Jimster ill take that advise heavily

Any advice on transplanting?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thanks @Jimster ill take that advise heavily

Any advice on transplanting?
The medium I use is a little different than dirt (Its called Promix. It is mostly vermiculite and perlite) and wouldn't work too well with the FF soil, unless it is mixed in at about 20%. Promix does't have much nutrients in it, while FF has most of what you will need already in it. I feel that sometimes there is too much nutrients in it for some plants/strains. Newer growers notoriously tend to overfeed their plants, and adding FF potency causes a lot of problems sometimes. This is my only reason that I don't use it myself. A combination of Promix and FF (80/20) would actually be pretty good for newer growers, since it doesn't hold too much water and wouldn't need feeding as quickly.
I try to avoid transplanting as it causes some unavoidable root trauma, which usually isn't a problem unless something else is hard on the roots. Make sure your new container has good drainage and try to keep your existing root/dirt ball intact and drop it into a pocket of your new growing medium. It might help to water a few hours before you transplant. That will keep the plant hydrated and keeps the root ball from falling apart as easily. Thats about it, nothing too complicated.

Top Bottom