I have a soil problem!

• Thread starter marcodimeg70
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
marcodimeg70

marcodimeg70

I used old soil starting some seeds. After reading a book, I see I should have gotten fresh soil. Should I transfer the surviving plant into fresh soil? And what type of soil is the best to use. It’s been a little over two weeks and the plant is still only three to four inches tall.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Although I do start with fresh soil on a new sprout, I also reuse my soil. I grow organically so its not loaded with a bunch of nutrient salts. I'll add some beneficial microbes (Microbe Blast by Roots Organic) and some "Roots Organic Grow" and mix it in at about 1/4 used soil with about 3/4 fresh soil. It hasn't caused any issues for me.

A newly sprouted seed is about the most vulnerable time in it's lifecycle. I don't know what is available in your area but something on the lines of "Fox Farm Happy Frog" and some extra perlite works well for seedlings. A good soil will be almost 100% weed free. You won't find that kind of soil in the bargain section of your local big box store. Roots Organic Lush is my favorite soil ... but it's too hot out of the bag for seedlings. It's also pricey. "Happy Frog" will be cheaper.

marcodimeg70

marcodimeg70

Thank you. I’ve been using Bio Root root buster by general organics. Only for a few days now. It’s definitely helping. Just thought it might help if I transplanted to fresh soil? I also figured the sprout would be a little bigger by now.
66C3DA42 3C11 41BC B212 0918AE81ACAB

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

It looks like its off to a healthy start. How old is it? All you can do is provide the environment for the plant to thrive in. You can't force it to grow, and at this stage much of it's growth is happening below the soil. It's building the foundation. Once it has a decent root structure, you'll see it begin to pick up.

marcodimeg70

marcodimeg70

It’s only sixteen days old. I came home from work today and it looks like it grew about three quarters of a inch. I keep forgetting that most of the growing happens in the soil first. I haven’t grown anything for a long time. At least fifteen years ago. Its slowly coming back to me though.

marcodimeg70

marcodimeg70

Do you have any advice on where to get seeds from? I want to get some more seeds so I will have them on hand for when this plant matures. Or start them when I get them. I still need to create the best environment for the plants. Like a humidifier and exhaust system. Any good ideas for a cheap exhaust system with a carbon filter??

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Do you have any advice on where to get seeds from? I want to get some more seeds so I will have them on hand for when this plant matures. Or start them when I get them. I still need to create the best environment for the plants. Like a humidifier and exhaust system. Any good ideas for a cheap exhaust system with a carbon filter??
My last purchase came from here: https://northatlanticseed.com/

6 of 6 have germinated from this purchase. I've bought elsewhere too but NASC is in the USA.

steamroller

steamroller

Welcome to the farm .
Your plant looks good .
In a solo cup ? Is it a photo or auto ?
Consider the soil you want when you up pot soon .
I also got seeds from Northatlantic 👍

marcodimeg70

marcodimeg70

I was just checking them out. I germinated three seeds and this is the only one left. So, I’m looking for all the advice I can get. At what point should I put the plant into a bigger pot?? The plant is only two and a half weeks old.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

What are they in right now? When you do up pot them, use the new soil you plan on purchasing as was previously recommended. I would check your root development and up pot when the roots hold the soil together. Waiting too long will cause it to become root bound.

steamroller

steamroller

No pro here .
I just up potted my first autos from square bottom solo cups to 3g .
Most think they should be handled very gently [not re potted ] .They were 2 weeks I think . 🤔
For photos I moved from square bottom solos to 1g containers since they be up potted again .
When I up pot I am moving seedlings in starter soil into their final soil. I mixed my soil from a few different sources ?

marcodimeg70

marcodimeg70

What are they in right now? When you do up pot them, use the new soil you plan on purchasing as was previously recommended. I would check your root development and up pot when the roots hold the soil together. Waiting too long will cause it to become root bound.
They Are in 1 quart soup containers. It was the only thing I had available at the time. When I up pot, what should I put them in? Like a 3 gallon pot or 5 gallon pot?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

They Are in 1 quart soup containers. It was the only thing I had available at the time. When I up pot, what should I put them in? Like a 3 gallon pot or 5 gallon pot?
I grow photo-period plants. So if yours is an auto, you might not transplant the second time like I do. I go from a small clay pot to a 2 gallon pot and then transplant again to their final home. I usually use 5 gallon air pots but the greenhouse run is next. They will be in 7 gallon fabric pots buried in the ground.

Top Bottom