I hope this isn’t root rot again

• Thread starter Topwhop63
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Topwhop63

Topwhop63

Water is around 70 degrees. No light is getting thru. PH between 5.8-6. Also have hydroguard in there.

Running advanced nutrients micro, grow, bloom. Also have kelp fertilizer in there.

I know roots are supposed to be white. Not sure if this is some stain? They also seem fuzzy?

I hope this isnt root rot again
I hope this isnt root rot again 2
PK1

PK1

Supporter
with the dark liquid your roots will looks slightly discolored but thats as long as the plant is thriving and not showing deffeciency or lack of growth.
@Moe.Red probebly can give you some better pointers.

Topwhop63

Topwhop63

with the dark liquid your roots will looks slightly discolored but thats as long as the plant is thriving and not showing deffeciency or lack of growth.
@Moe.Red probebly can give you some better pointers.
It’s growing very well. Very quickly. And it’s stretching upwards

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Well, they should not look like that. The brown part. The fuzzy part is good.

AN is a breed of it's own, just had a long problem / fix with that on another thread, ended up switching nutes to get his PH under control. Long story.

In general, you should not have staining on your roots. I have no idea where kelp extract falls into this or if it can stain, but I see that AN recommends it.

I wish there was a simple test for root rot other than a microscope, but it looks to me like the beginning stages, unless it is something in the water doing this. Got an old school microscope tucked away in a closet?

With hydroguard, it takes time for the colony to build so protection is not immediate. Basically it is biological warfare, you want the good bacteria to get a foothold and starve off any comers. If you had pythium in the system at the same time as hydroguard, usually pythium wins. From your title I surmise this is an ongoing problem for you? What are your procedures to clean up between grows?

What is the water source and starting PPM? This could be diatoms depending on your source.

If we can't nail this down, you might consider going sterile this run by adding H2O2 and stopping hydroguard. This will kill the root rot immediately if that is what it is. I recommend a live system, but sometimes you gotta add H2O2 if you are confirmed root rot.

Topwhop63

Topwhop63

I had my pH balanced and my nutrients in with the Hydro guard before even adding the plants.

I ran a system a year or so ago and the whole thing was root rotted in like a week. I had no idea what I was doing.

I just cleaned everything with some soap and water this run. These are the same buckets as before. When I originally cleaned them after tossing the old grow, I bleached everything. I soap and water everything prior to running this.

I have a jewelers magnifying glass. How can I tell with that?

This is tap water that I add dechlorinator to. It’s hard water and full minerals. My PPMs before adding mutes are between 160-180.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Could be diatoms. If so no worries it will burn itself out soon enough. Any brown on surfaces or just roots? Slimy or smelly? So no microscope?

Topwhop63

Topwhop63

What is your aeration? Is this RDWC? Can you take a pic of the whole system and plant(s)?
I put a video to show how I am aerating generally speaking. I do have three air stones that I put in last night to help some water splash up to make sure that things stay wide enough until the roots are touching the water. You will see in one picture I put a video to show how I am aerating generally speaking. I do have three air stones that I put in last night to help some water splash up to make sure that things stay wide enough until the roots are touching the water. You will see in one picture there is a brass nipple that goes into the top half of a bucket I’m not currently using. I use the pressure from the pump to push water through that nozzle to stream into the buckets and create aeration that way also.

The roots are too small to determine if it’s slimy slimy or just wet and a little slippery. I think because of my fear of root rot I feel that there’s a bit of slime. There is no light getting through and the temperature is cold enough so I’m not sure where or how the root rot would occur.

I have a GoPro cam that I put inside of the bucket when I set them up with the water going. It was in an underwater case. I checked the footage to determine each bucket head zero light coming through also.

The route in my hand did come off fairly easy but I’m not sure if it’s because I just applied to much pressure is the plan is still young and the roots are not sicThe route in my hand did come off fairly easy but I’m not sure if it’s because I just applied to much pressure is the plan is still young and the roots are not thick

F1831CBC DF67 4B7F 9A8E E8AF918C7E76
BF3751D8 B6CA 4802 A505 7E846D166222
576F9927 CAEA 4278 A0F0 640B8A1551D3
60E14811 7077 4542 A7D4 ED011260ABD4
28EFDAE7 6AE2 404F A07A 7FD9B2465C0C
D09B3D28 1C90 4875 BFD5 4FED173324BB
Top Bottom