I need an expert's eye when it comes to ripeness!

• Thread starter dyxx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dyxx

dyxx

Hi!
First time grower here who needs help judging the ripeness!
I know how the buds & trichomes must look for perfect ripeness, but somehow it's extremely difficult for me now to tell when it comes to my own plant! :') It's a northern lights auto and it's in week 14 now.
I have been asking a similar question before, but now I'll add a few closeups of the trichomes.
Can someone predict how much longer it will probably take until it's in the early side of the harvest window? I'm hoping for less than 2 weeks. Is that realistic..?
I need an experts eye when it comes to ripeness
I need an experts eye when it comes to ripeness 2

I need an experts eye when it comes to ripeness 3
I need an experts eye when it comes to ripeness 4

Thanks in advance!

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The trichomes are still clear. Wait till they turn milky. That's when you take it.

dyxx

dyxx

The trichomes are still clear. Wait till they turn milky. That's when you take it.
Thank you for your answer. Is it possible to guess how long it would take by the look of it? I'm worrying since I'm getting an operation in 2 weeks... Otherwise I would need to come up with a solution.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

That's difficult to say. You have some amber pistils but your trikes are clear. THC builds in the trikes and you can see it's most potent when they are all milky, but before they turn amber.
If I were you, I would take 2 big buds now and start drying them while the rest matures and finishes. They won't have the potency, but most of the terps will be there.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I think you will harvest just before your surgery and let it start drying while you're gone.
Outpatient surgery is usually fast and they send you right back home.
You will be there to supervise their dry and cure.
A schedule change like that can really throw stuff off. You can handle it though.

elduderito

elduderito

the photos you've taken only show the trichomes on the leaves -- from what i've read you want to be looking at the trichomes on the calyx (bud) instead, as the trichomes on leaves will tend to mature faster... it could be done in 2 weeks, you'll have to take some more pics as we get closer to the end

dyxx

dyxx

the photos you've taken only show the trichomes on the leaves -- from what i've read you want to be looking at the trichomes on the calyx (bud) instead, as the trichomes on leaves will tend to mature faster... it could be done in 2 weeks, you'll have to take some more pics as we get closer to the end
IMG 20210619 131029

I'm sorry, I didn't know there was a big difference! Here is a close up of the bud itself. Sorry for the poor quality, I did my best to get a decent picture.

Moshmen

Moshmen

When lookin at trichs you should always look deep as possible in the calyx not on the leaves as they mature faster and will give a false sense of ripeness .

personally I physically look at the bud as well almost no white hairs , orange hairs should start recinding and bud should just look done- then I check trichs - just my way

I think ya still got a few days/ a week yet

dyxx

dyxx

When lookin at trichs you should always look deep as possible in the calyx not on the leaves as they mature faster and will give a false sense of ripeness .

personally I physically look at the bud as well almost no white hairs , orange hairs should start recinding and bud should just look done- then I check trichs - just my way

Thanks a lot for that advice! The more you know!

freezeland2

freezeland2

If you are afraid of being able to care for the plant following surgery I’d be looking for that alternative. She won’t be done in two weeks. Probably closer to 3 weeks.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I should added a to the statement - few days/week before I’d even start lookin at trichs

Top Bottom