I need an idea of how much $$$ I'm lookin at...

• Thread starter jonnynu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
To build a 20' X 20' greenhouse that will function well in the SoCal desert. Naturally I'll need a mister and whatever else you think or advise me to use for this coming spring grow...planning on growin some sats that will take the intense sun light and give them some relief with the misters when it gets between 110 and 120 and up during June,July, August and September ect.

Lookin to make a move outside. Also want to go high, like up to 18 or 20 feet to let them rock.

I have no idea what I'm getting into here but I do want to make the move from inside to outside.

I'd really appreciate info from you that really know what you're doin....and I have to imagine there are quite a number of you that do...

Really really appreciate your advise!

Peace,

J

Brain

Brain

Those high temps can shut down growth. I don't have experience w/ misters but being able to open up the top and/or side to let that heat out will help big time. Constant air flow is a must as well. Dual fans 18" minimum and 4 shutters on the other side for intake. Growing sats in the desert sounds like fun. Working in the greenhouse during the afternoon doesn't.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Have you ever been to the outfit in Morongo that has two or three huge greenhouses, jonny? You want to do it like they do, those greenhouses are wonderful coming in from the desert heat. They use swamp coolers for cooling, along with good air exchange, growing everything from succulents to orchids to fucking amazing staghorn ferns. It's been more than ten years since I've been out there, but I always remember that place. Let's see what I can find on the internets...

The Cactus Mart, that's the place!
http://www.cactusmart.com/

Btw, I think to really do it right you're going to be looking at around $20K to start, give or take.

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like a great place to start to check out what they have and how it's workin for them...thanks for the help!!

B

billybadazz

I agree with seamaiden 20K minimum if you do most of the work yourself. good luck and happy growing -BB

purpleberry

purpleberry

You dont need 20K, sure you could spend that much but you dont need to. I would just get a cold frame maybe with roll up sides and run shade cloth no plastic in the hottest part of the year if they cant take 120, I know they take 110, Ive grown in that much heat. Then in the fall pull the shade cloth off and install the plastic to get you threw the fall. Or just leave the plastic and roll up the sides and open the ends when its hot.
I just dont see the point in running a full on greenhouse in the middle of summer its going to be so hot and humid, sure they grow like crazy but itll be alot more $ and time to manage and watch, If you seal it up and loose power to your cooling while your gone for a day youll come home to dead plants. With it open just water in the morning and they will be fine while your gone.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
A coldframe in the desert? If you've ever been to Cactus Mart and have seen and experienced how they do it with swamp coolers, then you would know that it can be done, can be done well, but it can't be done with a coldframe. It's hot in the desert, but it's rarely ever humid, that's why swampcoolers kick such azz in the desert.

If the OP is anywhere near 29 Palms, Palm Springs, Morongo, Yucca Valley, then 110 during the day is practically cool.

L

LightDep530

Hi there I run a hoophouse with an evaporative cooler. It is a 24x26 12 high farmtek with a 3'x15' aquacool evaporative cooler. It runs pretty well here in the Sierra foothills when the temps are in the high 90s and 100s. The buds are definitely more dense and light colored than outdoor. The temps are below outside temps most of the day although it gets hot around midday. I think I put it together for less than 4k.
You have to be careful if you get monsoons or at night make sure you turn it off or use a humidistat i like to turn mine off around 5 or 6 pm and let the pads dry out. I think a big pusher fan in front of it would help. My friend uses a portable model that has a 36" fan pushing and he only has like 1 24" exhaust.
I would say misters are a no-no. They could work in veg but I think that is asking for mold/mildew.

L

LightDep530

another Idea, mine has another smaller hoop in it for light dep and that has it's own airconditioner/ dehumidifier for few hours morning and night.

sky high

sky high

Could be a stupid fantasy....but I've always dreamed of having such a set up in the desert and trying to run 2 cycles in the Fall and early winter when the light is short/waning but the Sun is out and the temps aren't 120F. Keeping it 55F @ night would be easier (IMO) than trying to cool it in Summer...

OK...I'm off to buy that lottery ticket now... ;-)~

s h

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hi there I run a hoophouse with an evaporative cooler. It is a 24x26 12 high farmtek with a 3'x15' aquacool evaporative cooler. It runs pretty well here in the Sierra foothills when the temps are in the high 90s and 100s. The buds are definitely more dense and light colored than outdoor. The temps are below outside temps most of the day although it gets hot around midday. I think I put it together for less than 4k.
You have to be careful if you get monsoons or at night make sure you turn it off or use a humidistat i like to turn mine off around 5 or 6 pm and let the pads dry out. I think a big pusher fan in front of it would help. My friend uses a portable model that has a 36" fan pushing and he only has like 1 24" exhaust.
I would say misters are a no-no. They could work in veg but I think that is asking for mold/mildew.
Would love to see a schematic or photos of that set-up. Gotta love how well swamp coolers work when it's dry enough.

Assuming you have a good bit of level land, yes? I'm Sierra foothills, too, but in the 209 (like that's telling you much), almost directly east of Sact'o.

J

JohnnyGrowSeeds

I know a guy in socal who builds them, maybe you can chat with him

L

LightDep530

Would love to see a schematic or photos of that set-up. Gotta love how well swamp coolers work when it's dry enough.

Assuming you have a good bit of level land, yes? I'm Sierra foothills, too, but in the 209 (like that's telling you much), almost directly east of Sact'o.

108997.jpg

This is what it looks like kind of mine is taken apart for the winter. There is a pipe at the top that has holes every like 1.5 inches that drips water onto the pads. There is a large horizontal pipe at the bottom that has a cutout in it. the pads sit over the cutout and the water returns through the bottom pipe to a sump pump that pumps it to the top. A person could build one of these from scratch. There is a few like deflector pieces that need to be fabbed but one might find something off the shelf that works.

Seamaiden I am in Nevada County at about 1700 feet. Pretty level but I actually extended the poles on my hoop house so that i could set it up level on unlevel ground. I actually have 14 1/2 feet headroom on the tall side. I used it last year too! Never again! that was a lot of work. Site work is important though you want to make sure the rain doesnt run in there in the winter.

I just started a grow journal of where i'll be burning the woodstove in the hoophouse. If I can get my starts straightened out!

Latest posts

Top Bottom