• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
In case you don't know im a 1st time farmer

Still probably a week or two to go...but I wanna try to do this right.

All I have is a 30x (i think) loop and its hard for me to tell if the trichomes are cloudy or clear....I think they are cloudy..

My wife took these photos and they are huge photos...But I still can't tell Maybe some of you can tell?

And I think I want some amber...cause this medicine is gonna be to help my wife sleep. Right?

I did order a cheap handheld scope 60x to 100x and it should be here in a couple days...Maybe that will help.

Does it look like there are enough trichomes? Or should there be more?

edit; the last photo might be the best one

Purplebud
Purplebud1
Purplebud2
Purplebud1a
Purplebud3
Purplebud4
Purplebud6
Purplebud5
deacon1503

deacon1503

Those are some good lookin ladies for sure but a microscope is needed to determine trich ripeness. Your local grow store will have one, the 420 scope is what its called I think, up to 100x i think. Or a bad ass macro lens on a DSLR.

O

oboy

Like Decon said..get a scope. Find something your comfortable using. I shake to much for a hand held so I ditched it it and got a usb scope.

The correct time to harvest depends on the effect your looking for. I picked this pic along the way. It's a good guide when starting out. Don't know who created the shot but all the credit is his.

I try to harvest when I have between 20% to 30% amber.

You'll also know when the plant is getting close. Al least for strains I've run, the leaves get yellow all at the same time. Once you've seen it you will know.

When to harvest
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
In case you don't know im a 1st time farmer

Still probably a week or two to go...but I wanna try to do this right.

All I have is a 30x (i think) loop and its hard for me to tell if the trichomes are cloudy or clear....I think they are cloudy..

My wife took these photos and they are huge photos...But I still can't tell Maybe some of you can tell?

And I think I want some amber...cause this medicine is gonna be to help my wife sleep. Right?

I did order a cheap handheld scope 60x to 100x and it should be here in a couple days...Maybe that will help.

Does it look like there are enough trichomes? Or should there be more?

edit; the last photo might be the best one
You're growing seriously Indica dominant ladies, you don't have to be quite so concerned with amber trichomes. Personally, I prefer mostly cloudy. Also, I find anything stronger than a 15x magnification to be WAY too strong to get an overall idea of doneness using trichome development as the meter, and I pretty much only use my 10x loupe (jeweler's loupe).

Once you see for yourself the difference between clear, cloudy and amber trich heads, you'll understand. Cloudy looks as though they're milky, that kind of cloudy. The other descriptors are spot on for what they are. Of course, if you're growing an exceptionally purple girl, you may not get amber trichomes at all, but purple. I've only gotten this once, m'self.

Then there's the fact that if you scope trichomes at different levels (heights) of the plant you'll very likely see different degrees of "doneness." Compare trichomes from the top-most buds to those on the bottom--see any differences? If so, note it and keep the mental notes.

As for the trichome coverage, you're only going to get what you're going to get, and you can't get more at this point. Those girls look DONE done done to me. Why? I see zero white pistils popping up on those bud shots.

So, to determine doneness it's more than just looking at trichomes, it's a total package kind of deal. I've had girls that never seemed to go beyond cloudy, others that only go cloudy at what must be considered the last minute, and others that I've let go full amber--just based off trichomes.

The other factors you want to note are as follows; is the plant slowing down or stopping throwing new white pistils, do you see mostly red hairs? If so, would you say that the buds have stopped growing as much? If so, then I would say they're done. And to my eye those girls look done.

Choppy-chop! :harvest:

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Morning Seamaiden

Wow! Really? I had a feeling...
It actually has been 8 weeks since I put them out side. (from inside under a 600w MH 18/6) But I have only been covering (12/12) for about 7 weeks.
So I guess they could be done.

These plants never really had a lot of white hairs and that had me wondering early on.

I guess maybe its Harvest Time!

Wow I am nervous now and excited! :worried :)

Im gonna go stare at them again though the jeweler's loupe that I have.

then I will report back

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ok! Also, squeeze them buds. I'm a bud-squeezer.

Are they going to need flushing? If you've been using chemical salt nutrients they will need it if you haven't been tapering off.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Ok! Also, squeeze them buds. I'm a bud-squeezer.

Are they going to need flushing? If you've been using chemical salt nutrients they will need it if you haven't been tapering off.

No I haven't feed them for over 10 days. Just watered a few times (and the rain yesterday)

The morning is the best time to harvest right?

the sun has been up for 3 hours...is it to late today?

wow...I am really nervous and excited!!

thanks again and again for your help !!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No I haven't feed them for over 10 days. Just watered a few times (and the rain yesterday)

The morning is the best time to harvest right?

the sun has been up for 3 hours...is it to late today?

wow...I am really nervous and excited!!

thanks again and again for your help !!
Sounds like they're ready to go, then. I have no opinion on better or worse time of day to harvest, I always tend to get it done in the evenings, I don't know why.
squeeze em?
Yeah, sorry, it's a 'thing' of mine. I'm a bud-squeezer, like to see how dense and sticky they are. Pisses off a lot of people so I only squeeze my own buds.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I know. It's difficult. You've spent all these months caring for them, loving them, watching them do their thing for you and now you're emotionally involved. But, you've GOT to do it! Otherwise, you'll watch those buds just shrink down to nothing. I know, I've done it. Shit or get off the pot, you've gotta harvest sooner or later.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Amazon says my hand held microscope will be here tomorrow:worried

BUT

I just now acquired a little toy microscope from a friend and we are lookin....

the Bubba is cloudy for sure.

The Purple still has a few clear ones....hmm

and the A+ seems to be mostly cloudy

Not very many amber heads on the trichs...But the are some amber stems

Hmmmm

wow this is tuff :worried

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Yea they sound done.. A good squeeze & u will no if the buds r dense kinda hard if u feel buds that r not super dense or kinda hard they need 2 go a Lil longer.. I always wait a extra week as soon as they look done 2 me but that's cuz I like my bud couch lock Stoney.. But I've also noticed if u pick outdoor bud a Lil early they look alot better there lighter in color more pretty lookin buds.. When I let the outside plants go a Lil bit longer the buds get bomber but the nugs turn a darker outdoor lookin color.. This is how I try the buds & see if there done.. I've got a food dehydrator I pick a good size nugs & dehydrate the nug u will lose most of the flavor but when u smoke it u will get a Lil idea of if ur bud is Stoney.. If it gets u high fast dryed then 4sho it's gunna b way better slow dryed with a cure..

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thanks for the reply Goo.

I really appreciate the help

We are seeing more and more amber as we continue to look!!! :)

We have a piece that is 50/50 amber/cloudy under the scope right now!!...

:harvest::harvest::harvest:

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
still lookin

149999d1306779712t-outdoor-light-dep-plants-getting-close-micro_exam.jpg.att

ETA;

And the more we look the more I we think that Seamaiden is right...

It's Time! :harvest:

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
Chop a small piece to sample...if you like the effects, its ready.
You can fast dry in the microwave with 10 sec intervals allowing the moisture to evaporate in between intervals.

The effects will change as the flowers continue to ripen, the darker the trics get the more narcotic the effect will be. With that said I prefer to harvest when the trics begin the transition from cloudy to amber, the "high" seems to be well balanced (mind, body) with most variates at this point.
FJ

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thanks Jon :)

ETA; The thing of it is...

I am not able to "Medicate" right now because i will be starting a new job in a week or two and I may or may not have to Drug test...Sux!

My wife only eats her MMJ.... mostly in butter on toast.

But I think she has agreed to Vape Some :)

How dry does it have to be to Vape it? anyone?

putembk

putembk

I know you have already harvested but I also look for the trichomes to start bending over from the top giving them a candy cane look. I harvest when the plant tells me its done. Color of trichs, trich bending and just knowing my plant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom