I need seeds so ya

• Thread starter DavidMykel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DavidMykel

DavidMykel

Im trying to hermie a plant for seeds, would 3 minutes outside in the winter cause it to hermie if not how long would it take, ill get the temperature in celcius

I need seeds so ya
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Not a good idea,
Hermi seeds will create hermaphroditism with those seeds.
Your just spinning your wheels there my friend.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
If you're dead set on making it herm, randomly introduce light during the dark cycle. Do it consistently throughout flower. If the trait is in the genes, it'll show itself.

However, I'm with @1diesel1 on this. Just don't. There's enough hermaphroditic genetics out there *cough*feminized*cough*, we don't need any more.

Tcnchw

Tcnchw

I always read that if a clone from a mother that has never/doesn't usually hermie hermies because of stress/environment the resulting seeds will only be as prone to hermieing as the mother ever was. But if you use seeds from a hermied plant that is prone to hermieing in the first place then, too, the resulting seeds will have the same likelyhood of developing male and female organs as the mother/seed producer.

It would make sense unless maybe the act of survival that female plants with pollen sacs are committing somehow makes a footnote in their DNA and gets passed down to following generations. Otherwise I would imagine all of the genes are the same so it would depend on the circumstances around the hermaphrodite.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Cannabis Plants can reverse from a bunch of different triggers but the resulting seeds dont automatically reverse too.

i have planted many stress seeds found in my flowers over the years and none of them reversed again.

Even if there was a “hermie” gene lol. It would no be a primary trait. And it doesnt work like that anyway.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Cannabis Plants can reverse from a bunch of different triggers but the resulting seeds dont automatically reverse too.

i have planted many stress seeds found in my flowers over the years and none of them reversed again.

Even if there was a “hermie” gene lol. It would no be a primary trait. And it doesnt work like that anyway.
It’s called a stress induced seed, lol

tobh

tobh

Supporter
right. A stress induced seed doesnt mean a new one will result.
However, wouldn't it be logical that a seed produced by way of the hermaphroditic trait, albeit recessive, would carry a more dominant propensity to produce hermaphrodites? After all, it was essentially created through the expression of that trait, so I would think that characteristic would gain a bit more of a foothold in the genetic code.

My specific thought here is that offspring would be more likely to be hermaphroditic due to less tolerance to stress. Kind of a learned response to stress, similar to say (and yes, this is a stretch) a trauma survivor.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

However, wouldn't it be logical that a seed produced by way of the hermaphroditic trait, albeit recessive, would carry a more dominant propensity to produce hermaphrodites? After all, it was essentially created through the expression of that trait, so I would think that characteristic would gain a bit more of a foothold in the genetic code.

My specific thought here is that offspring would be more likely to be hermaphroditic due to less tolerance to stress. Kind of a learned response to stress, similar to say (and yes, this is a stretch) a trauma survivor.

no because it is not a “hermaphroditic” trait. It is different. A stress induced reversal. A survival instinct they all have.

And fyi spraying sts or cs on a plant simply blocks ethylene production which allows male flowers to develop. Also not a hermaphroditic thing.

oh and one generation wont add new genetic responses.

true hermies are rare.

I think all of this is in Clark’s marijuana botany book.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
no because it is not a “hermaphroditic” trait. It is different. A stress induced reversal. A survival instinct they all have.

And fyi spraying sts or cs on a plant simply blocks ethylene production which allows male flowers to develop. Also not a hermaphroditic thing.

true hermies are rare.

I think all of this is in Clark’s marijuana botany book.
Ah, that's enlightening. I assumed CS or STS triggered the recessive trait on a genetic level. In all honesty, I haven't researched it deeply either, so I'm eating crow on that. Thanks for the lesson on that!

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Go to 420 new seed guy as he sells quite a few regular seeds so you can grow a stable feminized plant and cross it with a male.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Go to 420 new seed guy as he sells quite a few regular seeds so you can grow a stable feminized plant and cross it with a male.

We had a grower here not long ago show very varied results from trying a lot of his seeds. He wouldnt call them stable plants.

growsince79

growsince79

We had a grower here not long ago show very varied results from trying a lot of his seeds. He wouldnt call them stable plants.
Why is it if you put 10 sisters in the same exact environment and try to make them herm with light stress, some will and some won't? If its not environment is must be genetic. Why are certain strains known to herm easy and others won't herm under a strobe light? My simple mind says genetics is the obvious answer.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Why is it if you put 10 sisters in the same exact environment and try to make them herm with light stress, some will and some won't? If its not environment is must be genetic. Why are certain strains known to herm easy and others won't herm under a strobe light? My simple mind says genetics is the obvious answer.

ueah i still have not bought and grown any “bad” genetics. I have had 10 different plant many times and none tend to reverse unless i did something wrong. And again none of my “stress” seeds ever reversed when grown. I tend to germinate some of them right away to kind of try again.

i wish i could remember who grew them. It wasnt hermies. It was stringy crappy plants mixed all in. Bad breeding.

Maybe avoid deals on strainly? Buy known breeders with history stuff? Dont listen to forum recommendations to much without vetting? Not hard to avoid bad seeds.

growsince79

growsince79

ueah i still have not bought and grown any “bad” genetics. I have had 10 different plant many times and none tend to reverse unless i did something wrong. And again none of my “stress” seeds ever reversed when grown. I tend to germinate some of them right away to kind of try again.

i wish i could remember who grew them. It wasnt hermies. It was stringy crappy plants mixed all in. Bad breeding.

Maybe avoid deals on strainly? Buy known breeders with history stuff? Dont listen to forum recommendations to much without vetting? Not hard to avoid bad seeds.
WTF does strainly have to do with anything? Are they herm peddlers? Why is it you can do everything wrong and some plants won't herm? Only one answer that is intuitevly obvious to the casual observer.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

WTF does strainly have to do with anything? Are they herm peddlers? Why is it you can do everything wrong and some plants won't herm? Only one answer that is intuitevly obvious to the casual observer.

Dont know what you are trying to prove. Good breeders take the time to pick good plants. Greedy and incompetent breeders take shortcuts. There are plenty of reputable strains out there to try new ones forever without seeing bad genetics you keep speaking of. And if you are growing chem, diesel or thai crosses expect to see some late nanners. They dont tend to have viable pollen so the breeders still use those plants for potency and yield.

Also breeders used to label plants by growing difficulty. They dont too much anymore but half the reversals i see are noobs growing og kush level plants when they should start with a nice easy berry indica.

growsince79

growsince79

Dont know what you are trying to prove. Good breeders take the time to pick good plants. Greedy and incompetent breeders take shortcuts. There are plenty of reputable strains out there to try new ones forever without seeing bad genetics you keep speaking of. And if you are growing chem, diesel or thai crosses expect to see some late nanners. They dont tend to have viable pollen so the breeders still use those plants for potency and yield.

Also breeders used to label plants by growing difficulty. They dont too much anymore but half the reversals i see are noobs growing og kush level plants when they should start with a nice easy berry indica.
I'm just saying plants that herm easy are likely to produce seeds that herm easy. Its not rocket science. IDK how anyone can say that's not a genetic trait.

Top Bottom