I need some advice from the experts

• Thread starter Crimsontide333
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Crimsontide333

Crimsontide333

I have topped a couple of my plants already and I'm approaching the 2 week mark (granddaddy purple). I was told to top the 2 main stalk above the 3rd node. If there are only 2 nodes do I still top them or do I wait ?
And another question: do I only top the main branches or do I top the nodes further down as well. Its an outdoor grow in 50 gallon drums cut in half.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have topped a couple of my plants already and I'm approaching the 2 week mark (granddaddy purple). I was told to top the 2 main stalk above the 3rd node. If there are only 2 nodes do I still top them or do I wait ?
And another question: do I only top the main branches or do I top the nodes further down as well. Its an outdoor grow in 50 gallon drums cut in half.
Pics? Depends on what your trying to achieve. Normally if i wanted 3 nodes id wait for 5 and remove the bottom 2

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
If you top too much a lot of it will end up as under brush. I over topped this Sweet Tooth and the lower 1/3 of the plant didn't get any light.

These were the tops I took on the last topping.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Don’t really know your plans but what can happen when you top at 26 inches is from that point on you have two main stocks that can grow up to 6 feet or more and have a lot of weight with branches in Bud’s. When it rains and gets windy the plant will want to split in half at that point. So be careful.

Crimsontide333

Crimsontide333

Don’t really know your plans but what can happen when you top at 26 inches is from that point on you have two main stocks that can grow up to 6 feet or more and have a lot of weight with branches in Bud’s. When it rains and gets windy the plant will want to split in half at that point. So be careful.
Ty I appreciate that, what I need to know is on the second and third toppings is it a must to make sure the new growth has 3 nodes or does it matter after the 1st topping

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Can’t help you there. I gave up topping for bending. Hang loose and somebody will help you out. You ought to be able to grow some trees down in Bama! Good luck!

Crimsontide333

Crimsontide333

20220529 170629
20220529 170647
20220529 170753
Crimsontide333

Crimsontide333

I started this one at the beginning of April, but they have only been outside full time since May 8th or 9 th

Crimsontide333

Crimsontide333

I started this one at the beginning of April, but they have only been outside full time since May 8th or 9 th
Sorry I'm wrong on the start time, I don't have my diary infrastructure of me it was probably some time in march

D

dirty.joe

If height is not an issue IE other people seeing your plants I would not top either.
As Oldchucky says, splitting is a real possibility with topped plants, for that and other reasons I just gave in another thread here, I don't like to top outdoor plants. A natural plant is tougher, and topped plants often require supports. See just about all the "ball" shaped plants have a double layer if wire support, and sometimes netting on top of that. No thanks to all that BS.

EDIT just noticed that is your thread too.
Also as pipecarver said (and shown) there is such a thing as too bushy, not to mention more buds means smaller buds, bigger pain to trim.

I'm just saying if they were my plants and no one could see them I would not top anymore.

Nice plants, and pots BTW.

Last edited:
Shayne010944

Shayne010944

Ty I appreciate that, what I need to know is on the second and third toppings is it a must to make sure the new growth has 3 nodes or does it matter after the 1st topping
can do it after the first node - the reason they wait for 5 nodes on the first topping is so the main stem gets strong enough and plant old enough to be able to handle the first topping. from then on its full steam ahead at first nodes

Crimsontide333

Crimsontide333

can do it after the first node - the reason they wait for 5 nodes on the first topping is so the main stem gets strong enough and plant old enough to be able to handle the first topping. from then on its full steam ahead at first nodes
Ty I topped the 1st time at 6 nodes but haven't topped again yet. It's an outside grow. I live 4 miles off the main roads on the side of a mountain in Virginia . So I'm not worried either about space or anyone seeing them. Ps it's legal to grow in Virginia

Crimsontide333

Crimsontide333

If height is not an issue IE other people seeing your plants I would not top either.
As Oldchucky says, splitting is a real possibility with topped plants, for that and other reasons I just gave in another thread here, I don't like to top outdoor plants. A natural plant is tougher, and topped plants often require supports. See just about all the "ball" shaped plants have a double layer if wire support, and sometimes netting on top of that. No thanks to all that BS.

EDIT just noticed that is your thread too.
Also as pipecarver said (and shown) there is such a thing as too bushy, not to mention more buds means smaller buds, bigger pain to trim.

I'm just saying if they were my plants and no one could see them I would not top anymore.

Nice plants, and pots BTW.
Ty advice we'll taken

Top Bottom