I need some help diagnosing before I take action

• Thread starter Theancientgallery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Theancientgallery

Theancientgallery

I have four plants in 4th week of flower in a 4x4x7 tent. Two seeds man Blue Dream and two Amnesia Haze that were freebies from Seed Supreme. Two MH TS1000, 6” in-line fan and a clip fan. Roots organics Lush soil, too dressed once one week after flip and two times after that with roots reel tea bloom. Flowers are coming along fine, but the last week or so the leaves have developed a curl down and brown spots. I’m watering once every 2 days or so until I see a slight run off. See attached pics and please give any help you can. Let me know if you guys need more info. The one in the back left is Amnesia Haze and has been a weirdo since sprout with misshapen leaves and odd coloration. AH on left, BD on right. Thanks!

I need some help diagnosing before i take action
I need some help diagnosing before i take action 2
I need some help diagnosing before i take action 3
I need some help diagnosing before i take action 4
I need some help diagnosing before i take action 5
I need some help diagnosing before i take action 6
I need some help diagnosing before i take action 7
I need some help diagnosing before i take action 8
I need some help diagnosing before i take action 9
I need some help diagnosing before i take action 10
Theancientgallery

Theancientgallery

Temps are mid 80s RH is around 50. It’s the best I can do in my area right now. Partly why I’m going with sativa dominant strains.

Theancientgallery

Theancientgallery

Photo's #3 and #7 look like Spider Mite damage! Recommend checking for mites! The upper images look more like Nitrogen Burn or Deficiency. Have you been adding nutrients? Improperly PH'd water can also result in tip burns.
Thanks for the reply. I have no experience with mites. Any tips on how to deal with them in flower? I top dressed with Roots Organics Terp Tea Bloom a few times, but other than that I haven’t been feeding. The soil is supposedly good for 8 weeks, or so they say.

RavynJax

RavynJax

Thanks for the reply. I have no experience with mites. Any tips on how to deal with them in flower? I top dressed with Roots Organics Terp Tea Bloom a few times, but other than that I haven’t been feeding. The soil is supposedly good for 8 weeks, or so they say.
Remove a leaf that shows damage, turn it upside down and look at it closely through a jewelers loupe, magnifying glass or a microscope if you have one (I use a microscope). Look for the little critters, if you have them you can take the plant outside and hose it with a water hose and then spray it with a mix of 1 gallon water with a tablespoon of neem oil in it. For best results it's best to treat it with Mighty Wash - I do not recommend using Mighty if the plant will be ready for harvest in the next 3 weeks. Mighty will work best if you retreat 3 days after first treatment.

RavynJax

RavynJax

Remove a leaf that shows damage, turn it upside down and look at it closely through a jewelers loupe, magnifying glass or a microscope if you have one (I use a microscope). Look for the little critters, if you have them you can take the plant outside and hose it with a water hose and then spray it with a mix of 1 gallon water with a tablespoon of neem oil in it. For best results it's best to treat it with Mighty Wash - I do not recommend using Mighty if the plant will be ready for harvest in the next 3 weeks. Mighty will work best if you retreat 3 days after first treatment.
PS: Any treatment with Mighty or Neem Oil should be performed within an hour before lights go out! You do not want to treat before a long light period as both substances can lead to light burn during the first few hours of treatment.

Theancientgallery

Theancientgallery

PS: Any treatment with Mighty or Neem Oil should be performed within an hour before lights go out! You do not want to treat before a long light period as both substances can lead to light burn during the first few hours of treatment.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll look at some leaves today

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Don't go spraying neem oil on flowering plants....unless you want to smoke it...nasty stuff it stays on leaves....& buds......

Theancientgallery

Theancientgallery

Maybe it's gobbled up a lot of the potassium, and now in week 4 of flower is starting to show a deficiency?
Great resource, thanks for sharing. It does look like potassium deficiency for sure. I checked for mites with a jewelers loupe and didn’t see any.

I also agree I may be a little heavy on Nitrogen. I read blue Dream was a heavy feeder, needing N well into flower, so this could be a factor. Even though I was conservative, I could’ve overfed.

I’ve been told I don’t have to watch PH in organic soil. Have I been misled? If so, I’ll need to make some corrections in my routine.

I’m new to growing in general with 4 grows including this one, and definitely new to growing organically. Things were moving along great until about 7-10 days ago and now I’m having obvious issues somewhat out of the blue.

Sorry for the novel, I suppose I should check PH and then move forward with some potassium?

RavynJax

RavynJax

Great resource, thanks for sharing. It does look like potassium deficiency for sure. I checked for mites with a jewelers loupe and didn’t see any.

I also agree I may be a little heavy on Nitrogen. I read blue Dream was a heavy feeder, needing N well into flower, so this could be a factor. Even though I was conservative, I could’ve overfed.

I’ve been told I don’t have to watch PH in organic soil. Have I been misled? If so, I’ll need to make some corrections in my routine.

I’m new to growing in general with 4 grows including this one, and definitely new to growing organically. Things were moving along great until about 7-10 days ago and now I’m having obvious issues somewhat out of the blue.

Sorry for the novel, I suppose I should check PH and then move forward with some potassium?
Awesome that you've ruled out mites. As for soil PH, I mix my own and soil PH has never been an issue as long as the soil isn't re-used. I also have Blue Dream growing and I feed the Blue Dream strain 3 times a week compared to twice a week for other strains (Don't feed 2 weeks prior to harvest). I have also discovered with Blue Dream if it starts showing leaf burns I will skip a regular fertilizer feeding and substitute Cal-Mag for that feeding and the plants seem to perk back up - I haven't completely figured out why, but for some reason this strain does like an occasional dose of Cal-Mag during Bloom. Another note on Blue Dream, if your using Photo (Non-Auto) plants they tend to grow a larger root wad than other strains. Due to their root wad being so enlarged I plant my Blue Dream in 13 Gallon Air Pots, in 7 Gallon Air Pots they would be root bound about 2 weeks prior to harvest, decreasing final bud production. Another thing I do on my Blue Dream is I "Stem-Split" 5 days prior to harvest which seems to benefit the final product for this strain. https://www.zamnesia.com/grow-weed/57-splitting-cannabis-stems

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Its a potassium deficiency. Could be a watering issue or lack of overall nutrients.

Dont go adding only potassium just increase the amount if overall nutrients, make sure your wet dry cycle is good as i say could be pots drying back to much or watering to often. If either looks like drying back to much would be a lot more likely that to often.

You dont want runoff when top dressing as that will wash out your available nutrients and could explain this. Water only until you see a tiny amount as run off.

Brew a tea as per directions and feed them that next watering so they get more available nutrients.

I dont see any evidence of bug damage

growsince79

growsince79

I have four plants in 4th week of flower in a 4x4x7 tent. Two seeds man Blue Dream and two Amnesia Haze that were freebies from Seed Supreme. Two MH TS1000, 6” in-line fan and a clip fan. Roots organics Lush soil, too dressed once one week after flip and two times after that with roots reel tea bloom. Flowers are coming along fine, but the last week or so the leaves have developed a curl down and brown spots. I’m watering once every 2 days or so until I see a slight run off. See attached pics and please give any help you can. Let me know if you guys need more info. The one in the back left is Amnesia Haze and has been a weirdo since sprout with misshapen leaves and odd coloration. AH on left, BD on right. Thanks!
They look over watered. How big are the pots and how much water every 2 days? My 2 gallon pots are taking almost 3 quarts every other day.

High5_it_in

High5_it_in

I have roughly the same amount of grows. I try to do a decent amount of checking out grow forums, YouTube channels, looking for pro tips...amateur tips, hopefully any tips that can head off problems. But, I still had Ph trouble recently, and I hadn't been checking my Ph at all, it can drift on you and become a problem(It did for me anyway). I bought a BlueLabs Combo meter, and I Ph everything now. Once I did that the plants really liked it, and looked way better in a week. My grow is kind of redneck I guess? I have a full time job and just doing my best in a couple tents. I'm using Pro Mix and I add a little organic soil then also a little dolomite lime, crab meal, bone meal, blood meal, langbeinite, azomite, then I water with Cal/Mag every 3rd or 4th time, and the next water I'll use Floraflex maybe 3/4 strength or a little weaker than the chart asks for. I aim for 2 waterings a week, one with nutes, one with plain water(every other plain water I'll add Cal/Mag) It's working right now, but we'll probably see something weird at some point.

Last edited:
M

Mcprp

I have roughly the same amount of grows. I try to do a decent amount of checking out grow forums, YouTube channels, looking for pro tips...amateur tips, hopefully any tips that can head off problems. But, I still had Ph trouble recently, and I hadn't been checking my Ph at all, it can drift on you and become a problem(It did for me anyway). I bought a BlueLabs Combo meter, and I Ph everything now. Once I did that the plants really liked it, and looked way better in a week. My grow is kind of redneck I guess? I have a full time job and just doing my best in a couple tents. I'm using Pro Mix and I add a little organic soil then also a little dolomite lime, crab meal, bone meal, blood meal, langbeinite, azomite, then I water with Cal/Mag every 3rd or 4th time, and the next water I'll use Floraflex maybe 3/4 strength or a little weaker than the chart asks for. I aim for 2 waterings a week, one with nutes, one with plain water(every other plain water I'll add Cal/Mag) It's working right now, but we'll probably see something weird at some point.
It
its my opinion that you have to much heat and to much light . If your lights have a three position setting, put it on the the one with least white light . Other wise I think you only need one light . Also try watering every four days once you back off the light . A good temperature is 75-80 preferably 78 . Also back off on the nutrients and observe . It’s very easy to do to much of something when you see your plants growing . There’s a little guy in your brain that keeps saying what else can I give it ! Lol !

Theancientgallery

Theancientgallery

Its a potassium deficiency. Could be a watering issue or lack of overall nutrients.

Dont go adding only potassium just increase the amount if overall nutrients, make sure your wet dry cycle is good as i say could be pots drying back to much or watering to often. If either looks like drying back to much would be a lot more likely that to often.

You dont want runoff when top dressing as that will wash out your available nutrients and could explain this. Water only until you see a tiny amount as run off.

Brew a tea as per directions and feed them that next watering so they get more available nutrients.

I dont see any evidence of bug damage
I’ll feed them some tea tomorrow and see how that works. I’ve been trying to water enough to saturate the pot without flushing out the bottom. I’ll keep that up. Thanks for the reply.

Theancientgallery

Theancientgallery

They look over watered. How big are the pots and how much water every 2 days? My 2 gallon pots are taking almost 3 quarts every other day.
They’re in 5G air pots and they take about 1/2 gallon each every 2-3 days.

Theancientgallery

Theancientgallery

It

its my opinion that you have to much heat and to much light . If your lights have a three position setting, put it on the the one with least white light . Other wise I think you only need one light . Also try watering every four days once you back off the light . A good temperature is 75-80 preferably 78 . Also back off on the nutrients and observe . It’s very easy to do to much of something when you see your plants growing . There’s a little guy in your brain that keeps saying what else can I give it ! Lol !
I have two Mars Hydro TS1000. They’re fairly inexpensive lights, kinda weak if you ask me. They’re dimmable, but that’s the only control function they have. They’re at about 18” above canopy at 100%. Heat is consistently in the mid 80’s. I’m in a hot humid environment, and the tent is in a non air conditioned garage. It’s the best I can do this time of year, but it rarely gets above 86*

RavynJax

RavynJax

They’re in 5G air pots and they take about 1/2 gallon each every 2-3 days.
You may need to only provide 1/2 Gallon every 3 days. In my 7 Gallon Air pots I only hit them with a 1/2 gallon every three days and it does the trick.

Top Bottom