I need to cover the front of my tent.

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

I am unable (disability) to close the front of my 4'9"x4'9" gro-lab tent.

The tent is awesome though.

So if I'm doing any work in there she has to get up to shut the zipper door.

I was thinking of a curtain but one that could go around the front quarters of the tent. Or maybe like a pulldowm photo screen or av screen

Also I am unable to flip up anything over the tent as well.

Any thoughts or detailed info would be appreciated

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Would you be able to hang a lightweight board (like cardboard or foam core) on hooks?

outwest

oregongreener

oregongreener

outwest has a great idea there. I was also thinking maybe you could adapt those magnetic screen door thingys they advertise on TV. It should work to keep the tent doors closed but allow you access. I doubt there's an existing product out there, so it's time to tap your inner MacGuyver.

greener

juggernaut

juggernaut

I have to get someone to make it but sounds good

Anymore?

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Does your tent zip open from the top down or the bottom up?

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

They sell rolls of tent like fabric at the grow store. Get a peice about the size of you door. Permenently attach the top. Use a bunch of the Velcro strips along the sides and bottom. Then you could just roll up the door however high you needed and it would just stick there.

P

paulycali

Seems like a simple attachment of a piece of string or metal wiring to the zipper. Or possibly attach a strong sturdy piece of something to the zipper so you can use a grabber to grab the piece attached to the zipper and succesfully open the tent. The grabber should give you enough length to reach all angles of the door. Make sure what you attach to the zipper itself works well with the grabbers grabbing ability. Maybe a oversized circular metal thing that you can put through the zipper. Through once side and out the other and then clamp it closed. They sell them at homedepot for sure. Like oversized circular keychains with locking clamp. That'll work. Use a grabber or just attach a small piece of string to a strong thicker piece. Either way should work fine. Good luck and hopefully you can get your problem fixed soon :)

jagle

jagle

you could attach your own door over the existing one. leaving the current door open.

and your new door, made of the same material (should be available in any outdoor or home store) could attach at the sides and bottom by velcro?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

How about this:

Instead of building another door, make the current door useable for your ability. My thoughts would be to attach some rods to the zippers that are maybe 1/4" - 3/8" diameter and long enough to be easy to use. Something stiff. Put velcro near the ends of the rods so you can have a good spot to put them on the tent when open or closed.

Just another way to look at it.

-TF

dankworth

dankworth

How about this:

Instead of building another door, make the current door useable for your ability. My thoughts would be to attach some rods to the zippers that are maybe 1/4" - 3/8" diameter and long enough to be easy to use. Something stiff. Put velcro near the ends of the rods so you can have a good spot to put them on the tent when open or closed.

Just another way to look at it.

-TF
Like the rods for blinds or something maybe.

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

outwest has a great idea there. I was also thinking maybe you could adapt those magnetic screen door thingys they advertise on TV. It should work to keep the tent doors closed but allow you access. I doubt there's an existing product out there, so it's time to tap your inner MacGuyver.

greener
i know what youre talking about and i bet those things will work wonders. GREAT IDEA

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter

greener

i know what youre talking about and i bet those things will work wonders. GREAT IDEA

oregongreener

oregongreener

Ken-

That's exactly what I was talking about! Thanks for posting that. It's something I have been kicking around myself. Not because I'm disabled, but more because the zipper flap on my tent doesn't close and when the light is on (1000watt) I can see it. It bugs me that the tent doesn't have a velcro closure on the flap. It seems like such a simple and straightforward idea. I used some sticky backed velcro, but the sticky didn't last.

Anyway, I saw the infomercial about the "Magic Screen" and had a "Eureka!" moment.

I really hope this works out for juggernaut, or that some other solution presents itself and works out. I can picture exactly the struggle being faced here...

If I get around to doing this to my tent, I will post the mods and how I made them. I'm thinking some long strip magnets on a roll sewn to the flap and then to the inside of the adjacent door; then run similarly along the floor, edge to edge. The sum total of the magnets does the work, so strategically placed stronger magnets aren't really necessary.
greener

oregongreener

oregongreener

Juggernaut-

Have you found a solution to your challenge? Just curious what route you've chosen.

Thanks!!!

greener

B

Badmf

Usually the velcro is stronger than the sticky and fails. A drop weight could pull the zipper closed but you need a reverse to open it. Any pix and which movements are you limited from?

sassyinpink

sassyinpink

did u manage to use any of those mosquito screen doors from amazon or home deport? those works for me

Wolfe

Wolfe

Easy solution. Tarp and flex seal, cut the seam in the middle just have it lap over itself a couple times so light won’t pass through but enough so someone can get in there.
More intricate solution. Have some one build a door frame and secure it to the tent. It could be a screen door with a piece of foam insulation attached to it. Then you’d have a insulated door.

Top Bottom