I really need a show of hands....LED or HPS??

• Thread starter JBloomers123
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I thought it was a myth that the suns spectrum changes leaning toward reds in fall. The only time it does that is sunrise and sunset. Otherwise the spectrum remains full sunlight spectrum all year.

Maybe the clouds filter it but that is more a regional thing.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I thought it was a myth that the suns spectrum changes leaning toward reds in fall. The only time it does that is sunrise and sunset. Otherwise the spectrum remains full sunlight spectrum all year.

Maybe the clouds filter it but that is more a regional thing.
The amount of different wavelengths is dependant mostly on the sun's overhead angle, the greater the angle, the more atmosphere the light has to travel thru. The lower the sun is towards the horizon, the more blue light is filtered out but the red still passes thru... there isn't an increase in red as much as a decrease of everything else. Like you said, the sun's spectrum doesn't change but the amount of different light frequencies that we see does.
On the converse of the earlier conversation, since the sun is always lower in the sky in the far north (and south), then would the far reds change anything for a growing plant, since there is less blue? I'll get this figured out yet!

Dan789

Dan789

Not buying into a change in the sun’s spectrum, though in the seasons we do see a range of increasing intensities of the sun’s rays when moving from the winter (lower in the sky), to spring and on to summer (where the sun’s directly overhead. That along with the increasing period of time those same more intense rays are reaching the earth.
The argument that in winter we’re seeing more reds is only true at sunrise and sunset when dust or clouds are present to scatter the light, that our eyes are more sensitive to those orange/ yellow frequencies of light would then follow that we’d perceive a brighter winter than we do, which isn’t true...
So the conclusion I’m left with is that plants and by that I mean MJ has its own unique set of ideal conditions which we’re all striving to duplicate artificially by any means we select...that we’re able to do this via utilizing lighting and timing schemes just allows us the freedom to enjoy this engaging pastime...

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Not buying into a change in the sun’s spectrum, though in the seasons we do see a range of increasing intensities of the sun’s rays when moving from the winter (lower in the sky), to spring and on to summer (where the sun’s directly overhead. That along with the increasing period of time those same more intense rays are reaching the earth.
The argument that in winter we’re seeing more reds is only true at sunrise and sunset when dust or clouds are present to scatter the light, that our eyes are more sensitive to those orange/ yellow frequencies of light would then follow that we’d perceive a brighter winter than we do, which isn’t true...
So the conclusion I’m left with is that plants and by that I mean MJ has its own unique set of ideal conditions which we’re all striving to duplicate artificially by any means we select...that we’re able to do this via utilizing lighting and timing schemes just allows us the freedom to enjoy this engaging pastime...

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Here is an interesting and informative article about Equatorial strains. It answered lot of my questions, although didn't answer all of them.

Top Bottom