I think I’ve got too much light?

• Thread starter Grdnguy86
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Grdnguy86

Ever since I added 220w spider farmer light. My plants have gone down hill. I’ve got two 120 w and the 220w in a 4x4 tent. I had raised them about 3 feet above canopy and had them at 100%. Plants seemed to initially like it but past few days have gotten bad. I lowered to lights to 75% and even raised them higher up. Is this light burn or something more concerning? The leaves are very dry and crisp so I’ve been focusing on keeping temp around 75F. Just got new 6 inch exhaust fan too. Any advice is much appreciated. Was gonna flower them today but now I want to make sure they are ok first.

I think ive got too much light
I think ive got too much light 2
I think ive got too much light 3
I think ive got too much light 4
Beowuuulf

Beowuuulf

The extra light will require extra of other variables.. oxygen, nutrients, etc. You'll need to be right dialed in to take advantage. What is humidity, PPM in watering, PH etc

G

Grdnguy86

The extra light will require extra of other variables.. oxygen, nutrients, etc. You'll need to be right dialed in to take advantage. What is temp and humidity, PPM in watering, PH etc
I’m starting to think they are rootbound. I’m using 5 gal cloth pots but didn’t fill them up all the way so probably only 4 gal worth of soil in there. Tallest plant is almost 3 ft tall. I was keeping temp around 78-81F with 50-60 humidity. Only given them water from tap, PH is about 6.3. C02 levels are always pretty high. Around 900 ppm or more because tent is in room I sleep in. Haven’t measure PPM in watering. The plants are getting noticeabley worse very quickly. I’m gonna try to repot one of them tomorrow in bigger container to see what roots look like.

G

Grdnguy86

I’m starting to think they are rootbound. I’m using 5 gal cloth pots but didn’t fill them up all the way so probably only 4 gal worth of soil in there. Tallest plant is almost 3 ft tall. I was keeping temp around 78-81F with 50-60 humidity. Only given them water from tap, PH is about 6.3. C02 levels are always pretty high. Around 900 ppm or more because tent is in room I sleep in. Haven’t measure PPM in watering. The plants are getting noticeabley worse very quickly. I’m gonna try to repot one of them tomorrow in bigger container to see what roots look like.
I’ve lowered temp to about 73-76 range as well. Humidity 55%, having trouble lowering it even with dehumidifiers

tobh

tobh

Supporter
calcium deficiency. with the intensity of LEDs, it's a common thing. They aren't trying to shy away from the lights, but they simply don't have enough calcium to keep the cells happy. Your VPD is likely off as well, causing the twisting of the leaves.

for perspective, I'm running 720w in the tent depending on phase of growth. what you have isn't too much light, you're just seeing the impacts of not having your environment fully dialed + higher nutritional requirements of the plants.

Beowuuulf

Beowuuulf

You should know the ppm and PH of the watering, and have the tried and true nutrients plan. If I was you.. I would run at 79f and 70% humidity, this would allow you to take advantage of the 900ppm co2, and without knowing the nutrients that could lead to either deficiency or toxicity

G

Grdnguy86

I used Fox farm ocean forest soil and read that it should all the nutrients I’ll need so I haven’t added anything but water. I just watered them today but next time I’ll figure out the PPM of the water. PH is 6.3.

G

Grdnguy86

calcium deficiency. with the intensity of LEDs, it's a common thing. They aren't trying to shy away from the lights, but they simply don't have enough calcium to keep the cells happy. Your VPD is likely off as well, causing the twisting of the leaves.

for perspective, I'm running 720w in the tent depending on phase of growth. what you have isn't too much light, you're just seeing the impacts of not having your environment fully dialed + higher nutritional requirements of the plants.
Do you think I could use a bigger pot? These things shot up so fast, could it just need more room? Soil seems to be drying out faster and faster which makes sense with them getting bigger but maybe it’s too fast? I’m freaking out here lol so close to switching to 12/12 then this popped up past few days. Leaves are very dry and crisp as well.

E7426077 F00F 4872 9933 71C45559C778
2E9F8B31 5558 4FD6 9ED4 F79EE38D36BF
Beowuuulf

Beowuuulf

Do you think I could use a bigger pot? These things shot up so fast, could it just need more room? Soil seems to be drying out faster and faster which makes sense with them getting bigger but maybe it’s too fast? I’m freaking out here lol so close to switching to 12/12 then this popped up past few days. Leaves are very dry and crisp as well.

I think 5 gal is good, if you upgrade I think you may run out of room when you flip

G

Grdnguy86

Just looked up calcium deficiency and it definitely could be the culprit. Brown spotting on leaves, yellow tips, curl edges, crinkly leaves. Will look into a remedy for this. Still gonna check one of the plants tomorrow to make sure the roots are fine.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
can't say for sure about uppotting, i'm not a soil guy, but deficiencies are deficiencies, regardless the medium. you can fix the problem going forward with something like a calcium nitrate supplement. the fact they're drinking is a good thing, but it also indicates you need to start supplementing nutrients as they've likely depleted any reserves in the soil at this point. FFOF is only good for about a month or two before needing inputs if my memory serves me right.

G

Grdnguy86

So woke up this morning to my babies looking much better? Lol not complaining but they seem to have responded well to watering yesterday. Maybe adding the new light just dried them up quicker? First pic was last night around 7pm. Second was this morning 10am. Much livelier and color looks much better. What do y’all think, leave them be or go ahead and add some calcium supplement? I want to start flowering them ASAP but want to make sure they are healthy enough first. Really appreciate the input guys. I was so sad yesterday you have no idea lol

AE951710 0F37 47C5 BA71 833E52787162
9C6924CA CF38 498E A205 2AB0A184600E
CannaGranny

CannaGranny

The general idea behind cloth pots is that the roots can and will grow through them to be sheared off by the light and air. I have had some huge plants in a five gal and have never had a problem with any of them being root bound. I am currently in seven gallon pots.
I like the fox farms Happy Frog but to me the Ocean Forest is a lot hotter and somewhat hinky on the nute side of it. Sounds as if you may have a bit of RH probs as well. Really looking like they need watered throughly.

G

Grdnguy86

The general idea behind cloth pots is that the roots can and will grow through them to be sheared off by the light and air. I have had some huge plants in a five gal and have never had a problem with any of them being root bound. I am currently in seven gallon pots.
I like the fox farms Happy Frog but to me the Ocean Forest is a lot hotter and somewhat hinky on the nute side of it. Sounds as if you may have a bit of RH probs as well. Really looking like they need watered throughly.
Good to know on the pots. I know that watering has been difficult for me. Like most new growers im worried about over watering but I think I went overboard. Was sticking to a set schedule instead of adjusting to what plants needed. They were bone dry yesterday morning. Can anyone recommend the best watering techniques? I initially was watering too often and not enough. Now im completely saturating the soil and getting lots of runoff. Pots weigh probably 4 to 5 times more after im done watering so they definitely hold the water. Guess im letting them dry out too much before watering again. Soil is always really dry when I water.

RH problems as in relative humidity? Right now im sitting at 75f and 70% humidity. C02 always high around 800-1000ppm.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Good to know on the pots. I know that watering has been difficult for me. Like most new growers im worried about over watering but I think I went overboard. Was sticking to a set schedule instead of adjusting to what plants needed. They were bone dry yesterday morning. Can anyone recommend the best watering techniques? I initially was watering too often and not enough. Now im completely saturating the soil and getting lots of runoff. Pots weigh probably 4 to 5 times more after im done watering so they definitely hold the water. Guess im letting them dry out too much before watering again. Soil is always really dry when I water.

RH problems as in relative humidity? Right now im sitting at 75f and 70% humidity. C02 always high around 800-1000ppm.
There’s a real art to learning to water those bags throughly. One of the things all of you have taught me and something I try much harder at teaching in my classes. With the cloth pots allowing a complete dry out or keeping completely saturated are both detrimental.
The way to correct this is to learn when you have water channeling through the soil in your bag, versus the bag actually being saturated. Channeling through the bag normally presents itself as a big run off, where all of a sudden one side of the bag has a small river running out of it, versus dripping from the bottom around the perimeter of your bag.
One of the things you can do that will help greatly is to water slowly. I will hit them with two solo sized glasses of water and walk away for 15 mins or so allowing it to soak in. I may do this once or twice and when I go back to finish, they will be soaking up the rest like a sponge.
My deciding factor of when they need watered in completely unscientific ☺️ I push my finger in to the second knuckle and if it’s dry, I water. Works for me.
Always give your ladies what they need, when they need it. They know no schedule and all of them have different needs at different times. I currently have a lady that routinely sucks down two gallons of water at a time versus everyone else using half that. She often needs it a full day prior to everybody else. I dont deny her that just cause she is not on all the others schedule.
One more thing about these bags is always water in the root zone and not up next to the plant. Once you do this enough it will create troughs that will help to hold the water atop of the soil until the soil can handle soaking it up.
I assumed RH as you stated the leaves were dried out. I now know that’s just from watering practices. These cloth bags are the berries… once you learn to properly water them 🙂
Hope this helps! Happy growing…

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Morning @Shaded_One! Thanks for adding that! Now I’ve got to quit sitting on the porch sampling my wares and go to worrrrrrkkkkkk. Happy day to ya! 🙂

G

Grdnguy86

There’s a real art to learning to water those bags throughly. One of the things all of you have taught me and something I try much harder at teaching in my classes. With the cloth pots allowing a complete dry out or keeping completely saturated are both detrimental.
The way to correct this is to learn when you have water channeling through the soil in your bag, versus the bag actually being saturated. Channeling through the bag normally presents itself as a big run off, where all of a sudden one side of the bag has a small river running out of it, versus dripping from the bottom around the perimeter of your bag.
One of the things you can do that will help greatly is to water slowly. I will hit them with two solo sized glasses of water and walk away for 15 mins or so allowing it to soak in. I may do this once or twice and when I go back to finish, they will be soaking up the rest like a sponge.
My deciding factor of when they need watered in completely unscientific ☺️ I push my finger in to the second knuckle and if it’s dry, I water. Works for me.
Always give your ladies what they need, when they need it. They know no schedule and all of them have different needs at different times. I currently have a lady that routinely sucks down two gallons of water at a time versus everyone else using half that. She often needs it a full day prior to everybody else. I dont deny her that just cause she is not on all the others schedule.
One more thing about these bags is always water in the root zone and not up next to the plant. Once you do this enough it will create troughs that will help to hold the water atop of the soil until the soil can handle soaking it up.
I assumed RH as you stated the leaves were dried out. I now know that’s just from watering practices. These cloth bags are the berries… once you learn to properly water them 🙂
Hope this helps! Happy growing…
Thank you so much for this! Explained watering in a way that makes sense to me. I will take it slow next time. I love learning things the hard way I guess lol do you think I should give them a few days to recover before flowering? They are almost 8 weeks from seed. Thanks again!

G

Grdnguy86

(also to add to what @CannaGranny said, with organic/soil you do not want large amount of run off just water until you slightly see runoff)
Ah ok. Definitely watering too much at once then cause I get decent run off. I feel like I had channeling going on that Granny mentioned. Water wouldn’t soak up in soil just run straight through it so I would just keep watering until the bag got heavy. That’s probably why they were unhappy yesterday after the watering but recovering now. So I will water when they need it and take it slow to make sure all the water is getting soaked up and not running off. Y’all are awesome. I’d be completely lost without this site 😊

Top Bottom