I Think I Have Root Aphids In My Hydro Grow Room!

• Thread starter ShellyDawn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

ShellyDawn

The other day I began seeing little brown beetle looking things with what looked like baby ones with them.
They are all over the floor and dropping all around the bottom outside of the pots. Also there are a LOT in the feeding water. Also the flies look exactly like the ones I've seen pictured compared to the gnats. I'm about 5 weeks to harvest. We transplanted from dirt to hydro. What should I do?? I thought about diatomaceous earth and azatrol combo with maybe some nutrilife sm-90 for the poor roots. Any advise?

Apollo13

Apollo13

Act fast, search root aphids..lots of wars waged here with lots of great info. But don't let this go..you'll never not look for them again.. I'm so paranoid.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The other day I began seeing little brown beetle looking things with what looked like baby ones with them.
They are all over the floor and dropping all around the bottom outside of the pots. Also there are a LOT in the feeding water. Also the flies look exactly like the ones I've seen pictured compared to the gnats. I'm about 5 weeks to harvest. We transplanted from dirt to hydro. What should I do?? I thought about diatomaceous earth and azatrol combo with maybe some nutrilife sm-90 for the poor roots. Any advise?
That is not a description of root aphids. Root aphids have a flyer stage that looks like fungus gnats, and a larval stage that lives in the roots that look like aphids. You'll start having serious problems about 3 weeks after flipping into flower, not 5 weeks from finishing. I don't think these are RA's. Photos would really be helpful.

soserthc1

soserthc1

Root alphids in hydro ? Is that even possible and wouldn't it be a easy fix if so ? I'm hydro illiterate but no dirt means bugs are completely visiable

Power OG

Power OG

Met 52 or Conserve SC is your only option to rid yourself of these lil nightmares. Pictures would really help us help you to identify these pest do you could get a attack plan in place.
Respect

S

ShellyDawn

They are root aphid. I thought they were fungus gnats, but their wings are tight to the side of their body. This picture doesn't show the flies, but I do know now that they are root aphids that came with our RTF's in dirt. We cleaned the roots and replanted into the hydro pots with the rock pellets. Sneaky little effers! Has anyone had any experience with this. We were told to flush with goGnats. Any experiences will be appreciated. Thanks!!

PhotoGrid 14355169300481
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, we have some rather extensive threads here on dealing with RAs.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, we have some rather extensive threads here on dealing with RAs.

C

ChrissyP

so, I am new to posting on any canna boards, tho I've been looking for years...... I write today to share some of my root aphid experience........ In 2011, I got 20 teens from a good friend, in coco. They began to fail.... I had never heard of RA (neither had the friend at that time). I tried every tactic I could find.....Botaniguard, Pyganic, Merit 75 WP, Spectracide Triazacide, etc... what worked that time for me was that, twice, two different times.... I totally washed all coco and then, soil away from the roots, then, I dipped the root ball and entire plant into the Merit 75 solution........ In between those two treatments, I did soil drench with the Triazacide...... also, cleaned completely, bombed the rooms, took cuts from and then killed off all my moms, and then, I treated with Pyganic soil drenches for months...... I basically lost a month or two of production, and I remained diligent for years..... I will say that the Merit 75, beyond being expensive, and an evil awful poison, was very very harsh on my plants, but, we did beat the RA.

To me, things like PM, and spider mites are kindergarten. RA is college-level.

In this past year, I lost my mother, my son, my marriage, and a job I've had and loved for 12 years, so, maybe I have not been as on top of things as usual........whatever. I have the RA again, but, this time, none of the above has helped, and I have been working to rid my rooms of these awful creatures for about 4 runs now. I have lost 40 to 60% of my production 3 runs in a row, and then, lost my entire run at about day 32 out of 63 this last time.....

I had wanted to try the heat method that I've been reading about, so, what I did in line with that is on one run, before I potted-up to the 5 gal pots, (besides cleaning, bombing, cleaning all filters, fans, bleaching the rooms, and treating every 3 days with something in the lists of things that might hopefully work, including a couple treatments with the OG Biowar, etccc)) was to heat treat my soil. I'm running ish of 52 plants in 5 gal plastic pots with the raised bottoms so they don't sit in water. I felt that perhaps the bugs were coming in the soil I had been buying, so, I tried the heat.......

that run, I used my steam cleaner and my oven to heat every tiny bit of soil to 200 degrees for about 5 or 10 minutes. I treated all 260 gallons of my soil in that way....... and treated the plants and cleaned the room. Still, tho my run completed, the yields were half what they should have been.

so, next run (still continuously treating all of my nursery plants every 3 to 5 days.), I got new soil, bleached, bombed, steamed all the corners, and etc... in the room...... and I planted.... I felt I had a handle on it... my kids were beautiful.......... until day 22 under the 12/12 cycle. They just started failing everywhere.............so, in desperation, I tried the hot water thing......... I could not use poison on my medicine at that stage of the game..... so, I brought out my free standing camp stove, and 4 canning pots, my candy thermometer, and all kinds of other gear........ I heated the water to 125 degrees, and then poured it through each pot's soil, letting it soak in big bottom trays... I had to move each plant into separate rooms...... 52 plants in 5 gal pots, ranging in height from 42 to 50 inches tall, bushy, and beautiful, but, failing.......

It was a huge task. I finished it up, and went away for the weekend......... came home to standing straw. The entire room was dead. I believe it was the hot water treatment to the soil. I did not apply hot water to the foliage.

I took out all the soil, put it in black plastic bags, and out into the direct sun.. that first day was 108. I live in the hot Sacramento valley, and that soil has had some serious heat on it for at least 10 days.... last night, I opened a few of the bags, just to check.........there are flyers everywhere. I do NOT believe in heat treating.

I think that the RA has become immune to many of the products, and I will never try heat again. The one thing that has showed some success this time through is the Pyganic, organic pyrethrum. It is quite expensive, and even though it is organic, it is big time poison...... I don't believe there are directions for drenching, but, I just go with the directions for a foliar spray and then drench the soil with it.........

I am sad and upset with this... so, my run is gone, my room has been empty for most of 2 weeks, and my nursery has flyers.......... In a separate location, I have another run ready to roll. I have bombed my flower room twice, 3 days apart... swept, vacuumed, cleaned the filters on everything, etc...I have been treating the nursery and teens with Triazacide every 3 to 5 days, and will begin with an Imid product that I found for much less $$ than the Merit, but, at only 1.47% rather than the 5%, so, I guess I will use more........... I'm going nuclear, I will not falter. I have to beat this.

so, anyway....... my plan..... I'm picking up fresh soil this afternoon, and will wash away the soil for the next run (30 kids, not 52 this time), I will treat with the Imid, totally drench the root ball and foliage, pot it up, and then drench the soil with the imid too. I will drench again on Saturday morning, and again next Tuesday morning. Then, I will spend the following week or so, drenching with the Triazicide every 3 days............. then, I will turn the lights to 12/12, flush the soil, do a light feeding just with mollasis water, and start brewing my active compost teas. I think I should wait at least a week to 10 days after the last treatment before I introduce mychorrizi and other bennies. also, each time that I water, I will spray the low parts of the plants and the top of the soil with a Pyganic solution. (once the light bulbs begin to show on the plant in flower, if you treat with Pyganic, it turns the white pistols brown. ls late in flower, Pyganic will definitely have a bad aeffect on the taste of the finished product.)

I am so freaking tired of this, and so upset. I am ever learning, but, also, I am not a novice. These bugs are just awful. (Oh, somewhere along the lines this past year, I have also introduced the predatory nematodes, but, they really didn't have any chance to build up their levels and do the job before they were cooked with the hot water.)

PS: The kids that came out of my rooms and went into the earth outdoors have been treated (yes, even in their 60 gal smarties) with triazicide a few times, and all are looking lovely strong, and deep dark green. They all have one more treatment, and then, I will just keep on telling them how amazingly beautiful they are, and how proud a mother I am that my children will bring such healing to so many.

420circuit

420circuit

Good God what a struggle. What kind of soil are you working with? Is there a local population of these bugs in your location?

Have you considered switching to a hydro grow system?

C

ChrissyP

hahahaha, at this point in time, I do not have the $$ to switch to hydro........ I have had bad or no yield 4 runs in a row...... all of the stuff costs money...... oh yeah, and then, there's the learning curve.... I've always been a dirt girl. (also, I have read that they are an issue even in hydro.)

I did beat them in 2011. I am going to beat them this time... if I do not, my current location will be lost to me, and I live in my dream home. I simply cannot miss a beat. I let go of my music festivals for this summer, and am selling my burning man tickets......... I have to beat these bugs, or give up the game.........

I hesitate to name brands... The RA came to me this time, in late 2014, during the time in question, I took in new genetics from two sources, and one of the new kids had flyers, and I treated, but, I was going through it in life, and did not treat well enough obviously. Also in that time frame, partner used a different brand of soil from a store we'd never used before. The RA came from partner's house first.... I feel pretty good about the brand of soil that I use.... the factory is all indoors, organic, and less than 30 miles from my home. the store I shop at keeps it all inside............

My main reason for posting is that I keep reading on this and similar forums about the heat treatment, and I hoped to keep anyone else from killing their entire run........... it did not work to heat treat my soil in the oven, as probably, I missed some in the air?? It killed my run to pour hot water onto the soil. And, heating the soil in black plastic bags in the sun for 10 days did nothing to kill the creatures that flew out of the bags when I opened them last night.

I was very very careful about the water temperatures. 125. That is the number I read over and over.......... my entire room was standing straw when I got home a couple days later. DEAD.at 32 days into flower.

effing root aphids.

S

SHIRDABZALOT

Maybe check your house for ants. If you have ants......you might have root aphids. The ants carry them in. Also I have received them as a free gift from fox far ocean forest a couple times now. Whether it was from the facility where it was bagged or wher it was stored enroute to my grow...they showed up....uninvited. my mode of devastion is clean rooms. Bleach everything 3 times. Take back up cuts at a different location. Pyth bomb every room twice 4 days apart. Triazicide drench, wait 4 days, merit 75, wait 4 days, azamax drench, wait 4 days, merit 75 drench, wait 4 days evergreen drench, wait a week and yellow sticky trap EVERYTHING. If you see any fliers then repeat cycle above. If not then use 6 grams met 52 per gallon of soil in each container. Brew caps bennies at 7 grams root pack and 7 grams foliar pack as well as 20 ml molasses per gallon of water and water at full strength until runoff is sitting in the pot. Use met 52 at same rate every transplant. Brew that same tea for each week for a month straight. Root aphids are resilient.....but you must be diligent. I am fighting these lil bastards as we speak and fuckin there world up. If that recipe doesn't work then maybe you don't have root aphids. Identify your pest to battle it best (new slogan there lol!) Aphids have 6 legs and the tell tale "tail pipes" good luck and let us know how it goes!

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Maybe switch to simple vermiculite and perlite instead of soil, it is sterile and free of any bad guys. no worries about salts, overwatering, etc. Very bulletproof medium, and not expensive.

m8ty

m8ty

Right on vermiculite and perlite for the win! Bug free and it's so light a pleasure to grow in, using it with Hempy buckets

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, not perlite for the win. My first experience with RAs was outside, in perlite hempy tubs. Pure perlite. I've said it over and over and over again, too. Perlite for the non-win.

In this past year, I lost my mother, my son, my marriage, and a job I've had and loved for 12 years, so, maybe I have not been as on top of things as usual.
I am *so* deeply sorry.

You're probably not all that far from me, I'm glad I was able to eradicate the RAs.

C

ChrissyP

those off-site kids were so beautiful........ they are strong, dark green, fabulous root systems....... I will have a very light run, as there are not very many plants, but, it should run clean and healthy..... I was so happy to see those strong roots last night, I nearly cried.

Working with those healthy kids made everything feel more hopeful.

S

ShellyDawn

I'm not feeling very hopeful. I feel like a perfectly good hydro grow got ruined by taking "ready to flower" teens out of dirt, painstakingly cleaning the roots, and then putting them in the clay pellet hydro grow was not worth what this hassle is becoming. It's so depressing when I've been doing a lot of homework, and a partner who only listens to me after he asks for help from someone more experienced and has more time under their belt growing and dealing with pests. We got "grind up some mosquito coils in the blender and put that in your water tank". Not sure, but I don't think it's working. Diatomaceous earth, Doktor Doom twice, I'm scared to spray them with anything now....I want good, clean edible medicine! Damnit!

S

SHIRDABZALOT

@ShellyDawn For what it's worth, I have NEVER seen someone do.a 100% healthy grow after rinsing soil off roots and going hydro. They just never fully pull out of it in my opinion. Going hydro to soil.... no problem. It's easier and less time consuming in the end to just veg out dirt plants then clone off those.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm not feeling very hopeful. I feel like a perfectly good hydro grow got ruined by taking "ready to flower" teens out of dirt, painstakingly cleaning the roots, and then putting them in the clay pellet hydro grow was not worth what this hassle is becoming. It's so depressing when I've been doing a lot of homework, and a partner who only listens to me after he asks for help from someone more experienced and has more time under their belt growing and dealing with pests. We got "grind up some mosquito coils in the blender and put that in your water tank". Not sure, but I don't think it's working. Diatomaceous earth, Doktor Doom twice, I'm scared to spray them with anything now....I want good, clean edible medicine! Damnit!
All that stuff is doing is pissing off the root aphid queens.

Top Bottom