Ice cream cake _ Whole crop has red stems (phosphorus, Cal, Mag,PH???)

• Thread starter SUNHOUSE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
My plant always get purplish colored stems, I think it is a normal reaction to the strong light. There is another type of purplish stripes that can indicate a deficiency or overdose, but it shows striping that is very pronounced. My Sativa strains seem to do this more than Indica plants. Your leaves look pretty blue-green... is this a characteristic of the strain? Some nutrient imbalances (too much P or K I think) can cause a dark blue-green coloration, but unless the entire crop is overdosed, I think it is probably genetic. What strain is it, or is it just the lights causing the color shift?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Just started the first run on double tier PIPP racks with LED lights. I've never had a whole crop do this so at first though possibly genetic but now starting to think its a phosphorus def. Any thoughts or experience is greatly appreciated.
It is probably genetics. Not all purple stems point to a defish. What nutes are you using. Does it have a good balanced npk ratio.

Also I have always used hid mh/hps and I have had many strains over the years show purple stems so please everyone stop eluding to it is led lighting causing this. This is misleading information.

it is all about the genetics. Unless of course there truly is a phosphorous defish.

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It is probably genetics. Not all purple stems point to a defish. What nutes are you using. Does it have a good balanced npk ratio.

Also I have always used hid mh/hps and I have had many strains over the years show purple stems so please everyone stop eluding to it is led lighting causing this. This is misleading information.

it is all about the gentics. Unless of course there truly is a phosphorous defis.
I grow under MH/HPS only, and EVERY Sativa dominant plant had the purplish stems where the light hit them. Indica's might be a bit different due to their characteristics, but I have to agree that a Phosphorus deficiency is pretty unlikely, especially given the amount of nutrients that growers usually dump on their grows.

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

purple stems are from a number of reasons; some are good and some are bad

Reactions: Ina
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm not saying this is the reason but there can be a reason you see purpling from led lights. What are your room temps? Colder leaf temps can cause purpling. Leds usually lack the IR provided by HID lighting. If you have an IR thermometer check your leaf temps and make sure your about 75F during the day and no less than 65F at night.

Again I'm not saying this is the case but often people who switch to LED forget to take this into account.

S

SUNHOUSE

it is all about the genetics. Unless of course there truly is a phosphorous defish.

Thanks for your input. Using New Millennium nutes. I leaning towards genetics as well. It is looking like some gas now.

S

SUNHOUSE

Here are a few pics that shows my set up. I'm running the dt LED lights in an R&D room. I'm running under 1000W HPS Gavitas in two flower rooms and the Veg room running plasmas.

Double Tier Veg Room
Facility
Grow 3
IceCreamCake
Inthefield
Nice
Week4
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Great pictures!! How do you deal with the smell? I would imagine it would be detectable from quite a ways off!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would love a job in the growing field. I'm envious of you.

S

SUNHOUSE

Great pictures!! How do you deal with the smell? I would imagine it would be detectable from quite a ways off!
Thanks! Yeah it definitely puts off some smell but I use a ton of carbon filters which definitely helps.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Here are a couple of updated photos of the flower under the double tier LED lights.
Would have to agree with your comment/reply Gas indeed. Swirly sticky looking calyxes right thar man. Good job!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom