IceProbe Thermoelectric Aquarium Chiller

• Thread starter heavydutykevork
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
heavydutykevork

heavydutykevork

Premium Member
Supporter
Just starting a 8x9x8 room with 4 x 1000 and split mini a/c. We are using 3 20 site aeroflo's with Co2 and scrubbers. My q's is about water temp. I found these ''IceProbe Thermoelectric Aquarium Chiller'' small water chillers on the internet and wondering the input if anybody has some on them for my 10 gallon rez or should I not even use them with the split ton in there its 24000 btu if that helps. Thanks for any help. Peace HDK

heavydutykevork

heavydutykevork

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm assuming nobody must know bout them i think i'm going to give them a whirl fuk it better safe then sorry.

heavydutykevork

heavydutykevork

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks homie I thought so,, never ran aeroflos before...thanks again.

J

Janus

Those chillers are absolute dogshit. I've tried them in an EZ Clone 60 and they couldn't pull the 6 or so gallons down a single measurable amount.

C

CAPO

Janus...would you please recomend a chiller for a 10-30 gallon rez?
I want to experiment with some kiddie pools this year.

~xO Kakalak Ox~

~xO Kakalak Ox~

Calyx Bros. Seed Co.
Ecoplus Chillers

I have had great success using Ecoplus water chillers. When you have a magnetic pump going most of the times it will increase the water temp and a chiller is a must. Just make sure you get the right horse power for your reservoir.

B

billybadazz

I have run aeroflos for a while and I can tell you one thing if you don't have a chiller plan on getting 1/10 of what you were thinking. I saw where you were running 3 aero's that either means that you run all 3 rez in unison and connect them or what I used to do is run a 9 week strain 3 weeks apart on 3 different aeros that way you always harvest every 3 weeks and an added bonus is all your rez's arent connected so if you get problems or disease then there all separated. make sense? PM me if you have further questions. for the small rez's on those you could get away with 1/10 hp models.

heavydutykevork

heavydutykevork

Premium Member
Supporter
Those chillers are absolute dogshit. I've tried them in an EZ Clone 60 and they couldn't pull the 6 or so gallons down a single measurable amount.

That sucks just ordered 3 and 3 controllers 500 bucks...I run all my rez's different times diff nutes so i wanted to go with a smaller kind so my water did not get mixed,,o well will give them a shot my mini split is pretty heavy so i will jus keep my room at 72. Thanks for the advice all. Peace HDK

heavydutykevork

heavydutykevork

Premium Member
Supporter
I have run aeroflos for a while and I can tell you one thing if you don't have a chiller plan on getting 1/10 of what you were thinking. I saw where you were running 3 aero's that either means that you run all 3 rez in unison and connect them or what I used to do is run a 9 week strain 3 weeks apart on 3 different aeros that way you always harvest every 3 weeks and an added bonus is all your rez's arent connected so if you get problems or disease then there all separated. make sense? PM me if you have further questions. for the small rez's on those you could get away with 1/10 hp models.

Thaks Billy,,quick Q do u run ur aeros on a timer? running my on 3 on 5 off. Thanks

J

Janus

Heavyduty, I've no idea of your setup but sometimes the following will work for multiple rezs and you don't want to use chillers. Keep them all in a separate 'control room' area, use a/c to cool the air, agitate the surface of the solution, and use fans to blow across the surface of the water.

heavydutykevork

heavydutykevork

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks Janus that a really good idea.

~xO Kakalak Ox~

~xO Kakalak Ox~

Calyx Bros. Seed Co.
Another DIY water chiller is to take a plug in cooler from Walmart ($60) and drill a hole in the top big enough for air tubing to come out. Put a air pump in the cooler with a tube and air stone going to each res. I also put a temp controller on the air pumps so they come on only when the temp gets to hot in the res.

A temp fix is to use a frozen water bottle in your res.

P.S. Cancel the Iceprobe order as they only work if the room temp is low.

L

Lost

Heavyduty, I've no idea of your setup but sometimes the following will work for multiple rezs and you don't want to use chillers. Keep them all in a separate 'control room' area, use a/c to cool the air, agitate the surface of the solution, and use fans to blow across the surface of the water.

I have seen that used to effect.

Just keep in mind that a chiller is 23 times more efficient (you will use 23 times less power too..) than an equal sized a/c air cooling the water :)

Even a 1/10 hp chiller can sometimes be all you need. I mean how many of us have 300 gallon resses?

And I think most of us here agree that a strict 65-66 degree system is optimal? Anything over 75 and you a ticking timebomb... imo

Edit: Im going to go futher here and say that its my #1 or 2 most important piece of equipment.

I gotta have the lights, lol. But then without a chiller, im fucked.

J

Janus

Lost, not sure about the 23x efficiency thing. That sounds pretty darn high. I can use one 18k btu a/c, cool an entire control room, some fans, bubbles for agitation to keep quite a few gallons cool.

Also, imo, 65 to 66 for solution is much too cold. For me the sweet spot between growth, oxygenation, and pathogen control is 70 to 71.

In then end, I agree that chillers or some method to keep the temp controlled, is mandatory for consistent and prob free runs.

L

Lost

Lost, not sure about the 23x efficiency thing. That sounds pretty darn high.

Maximun Yield November 2009 page112
"The primary reason for the superior effiency of a chiller over an air conditioner is that the thermal conductivity of water is 23 times greater than that of air."

I was amazed myself!

I realize there are 2 schools, one school says 65-66 the other says 70-71 because of the increased oxygenation. I run 66 myself and it seems to work very well :)

heavydutykevork

heavydutykevork

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks again to all of you that helped,, much respected. Peace HDK

B

boroboro

The big advantage of Peltier-type coolers is that there are no moving parts, but I think that's the only advantage. They are less efficient in terms of cooling per electrical watt consumed, and generally less powerful.

Their website says it may cool 10 gallons of water up to 6 to 8 def. F. (http://www.novatecproducts.com/more_about_ipac1.htm)

Good luck, and let us know how they work. Maybe they would work well in another situation, where the small size and quiet operation were advantages...

heavydutykevork

heavydutykevork

Premium Member
Supporter
NICE...Thanks Boro good read I still have them on the way so I will still try them. I'm goin to keep my room at 72 and water at 69 so we will see and I will def keep u posted also goin to get a camera today so I can take some pics of the room. HDK

Top Bottom