Ideal humidifier, city water supply issue.

• Thread starter airedog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
airedog

airedog

Supporter
My Ideal humidifier is plumbed into my city water supply and as a result i have a film on much of the gear in my grow space; you can see it on the outlet cover and extension cord, below.

Powder

I've got an RO filter that feeds a couple of storage res, that i use for my nutes; if i put a Tee on the filter outlet and run a second line to an RO pressure tank will the float valve in the humidifier be strong enough to keep the pressure tank from causing an overflow? What are other growers doing to cope with this issue?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My Ideal humidifier is plumbed into my city water supply and as a result i have a film on much of the gear in my grow space; you can see it on the outlet cover and extension cord, below.

View attachment 1111509

I've got an RO filter that feeds a couple of storage res, that i use for my nutes; if i put a Tee on the filter outlet and run a second line to an RO pressure tank will the float valve in the humidifier be strong enough to keep the pressure tank from causing an overflow? What are other growers doing to cope with this issue?
Few questions.

What type of float valve?

Can definitely do something to work this out using solenoids and a float switch and probably pretty reasonably priced.

Something like this. 2 for cheap AC power. Prob 2 pack as you need 3 in my mind

And then 2 of these.

Put one float switch on the humidifier and one solenoid on the line to it.

Put the other float switch on the res and solenoid on that line.

Put a solenoid on the after the pre-filter of the RO but before the waste water. Piggy back both solenoids to this solenoid so that when either float switch calls for water it turn on the flow to the RO. This way you don't have a constant flow of waste water.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084YWDN3F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_YKSV9J2H8SAKMBS68MCY
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YJ6F2M...imm_AZF5MXERZDY4X4Q63YFG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Pressure tank is a sealed unit with 2 internal bladders, one filled with air and the other for water; water compresses air bladder as tank fills, then pressurized air bladder boosts rate of flow. I just use a transfer pump for nute change-outs so there's not even a gravity feed situation on my RO res

I'm running a HydroLogic Stealth RO 300, so i'm also wondering if i have the flow rate for the humidifier as it's the smaller 70 pint/day unit. The height is 18" and diameter is 14", the float switch on it is working well with the line plumbed into my city supply.

Huey

Or, am i missing something? On earlier grows i just used a couple of 2 gallon Honeywell cool mist units that i had to fill a couple of times a day; so this is all a bit new to me. Still have one of those Honeywells as backup for veg days during the drier winter.

Pondracer

Pondracer

That should have enough pressure to fill the humidifier tank easily. I run a 40g bladder tank for RO but its just for personal consumption. Lots of pressure and it has to go upstairs.

Top Bottom