Ideas on why my plants are so short and skinny?

• Thread starter Joey518
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joey518

Joey518

Hey everyone! So I had a bit of a struggle getting my babies off the ground. I'm about 2 months in of normal growth and my plants are beginning to flower. They seem rather short and skinny. Can you guys please give me some thoughts on why this could be? So here's a picture. Each plants had a 2000 watt full spec led light over it, kept approx 10" above. These plants here are fixed in the ground so the light is rlealy only directly hitting the capony. They are apple fritters strain. Seem very short and skinny. 2+ feet off ground, maximum 15" diameter. Suggestions and tips for next grow?

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I've never grown those cultivars so I can't really help in that aspect but from the looks of it the cultivar has strong sativa genetics which lend to lanky growth, narrow leaves and wide noding.

Is this an autoflower or photoperiod plant?

10" is too close for lighting. You may have heat stressed it and it stunted hence the slow lanky growth. I'm assuming, since you're growing outdoors, the lighting is supplemental rather than the main light source which would be the sun.

Were you feeding it straight water or were you fertilizing?

If you're growing outside again I would back off the light to around 20" and top the main stem after you see the 5th or 6th node. This will spur the plant to create more side branching. If you were growing indoors I would also suggest you train the plant by topping and fimming but since you're outdoors you don't really need to do that other than the first topping unless you are trying to grow it large.

For a large bush, I would wait until just after last frost/beginning of spring and plant then if you're growing outdoors. You can Top and FIM to develop the amount of bud sites early on in the first month or two then let them run until fall hits when the flowers will be ready to harvest.

Joey518

Joey518

Thank you for the advice. Could you possibly give me a brief explanation of "topping" and 'Fimming"? ive actually never heard those terms before. Ive heard of cropping..still not entirely sure what that even means

KYSEAN

KYSEAN

Thank you for the advice. Could you possibly give me a brief explanation of "topping" and 'Fimming"? ive actually never heard those terms before. Ive heard of cropping..still not entirely sure what that even means
Cropping, topping same thing. Most often snip above the 4th node

beluga

beluga

Are they in the ground? I would guess that your plant's soil isn't quite amended well enough for how much clay you have in your topsoil.
How big did you dig those holes and what kind of amending did you do?

Topping and fimming are pruning techniques where you snip off the very top set of leaves to direct energy/growth to lower sets of leaves.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Start Here...

Ponky

Ponky

I strongly suggest you get some stakes or a tomato cage. Once she gets laden she will be too heavy and need some support.

Joey518

Joey518

They are in the ground. I dug 30 inches deep by approx. 15' wide. Filled with a mixture of garden soil and lobster compost fert soil. I wont be putting my next grow in the ground though.

beluga

beluga

Without really knowing what your soil composition is, it's hard to say whether or not that's enough of a hole dug for them, but it would be in most cases.

You may have better luck next time around with a potting soil. Garden and raised bed soils tend to not be the best - lots of filler, little good stuff. But if you're not going direct to the ground, I assume you'd be using potting soil anyway.

As well, find a good plant food. Fox farm is a common brand for cannabis growers, but most of them will do the trick.

You can still learn from this one, so I wouldn't get too discouraged. Feed it, watch it grow, and get a little more used to the process.

jscheel111

jscheel111

could you please elaborate just a little further?
I feed them maybe twice a month with fox farm veg nutes
Feed with units every time you "water"! Get a regime of niuts for veg & different regime for flower! I util14 different units during a grow!

Latest posts

Top Bottom