Identifying seeds: Is it a male or female?

• Thread starter symbiote420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
symbiote420

symbiote420

I've recently read a thread at another site where someone says it is possible to tell the sex of the seed 100% of the time.They described the female seed as having a volcano-like crater on the flat side/top of the seed, and males have no crater and resemble a mesa or slightly raised hill. Simple huh?!
I really thought about this because when I used to pick thru bagseeds to grow I always got a very high percentage of females, and now that I'm thinking about it that's because when I would pick the seeds I would mostly pick the ones that were the most mature looking with craters......IDK? I just liked the look better I guess, but I was wondering if anyone else heard about or does this method? Is it really 100%, I'm going to be marking and observing my seeds/plants a little better from now on, this could be a game changer for a lot of growers if it holds true!

SCARHOLE

SCARHOLE

Ive seen it an don't believe it at all.

Mohan Ram did a study with ethylene an by exposing the seeds to rotting Fruit peals
He reported 5O% female increase.
I'd like to try it......

S

scotthawk123

Hi I read this also and I'm not sure whether its true. Its probably less hassle if you want females only to go and buy feminised seeds instead of studying the shape on the bottom of seeds

symbiote420

symbiote420

I can't get the little legs apart to check.

Lol, That's funny kolah! I just put 6 Ukhem and 6 Agent Orange beans in a presoak, I'll label each while I plant them...so we shall see if this holds, that's the only way to find out eh? Guess I'll be posting results in about 50 days.

symbiote420

symbiote420

Why is it BS though?.....because? When they said the world was round people laughed and called BS on that too, I'm setting sail..the new world awaits! I even bet the first person who decided to grow mj indoors got laughed out of Dodge as well, What harm can it do to pre-label a seed male or female, watch it grow, and then tell people whether it holds true or not? It only requires putting a marker on the pot, nothing else too labor intensive on my part. Stick around I'll let you know when I sex them what I find.

T

TreFarmer

S¹ should give you a look at "all female" for a control base.
Just Cindy S¹, and some Ceres Fem gear coming, they all (within reason) should have similar structure if this holds weight... I for one have always thought the seed tells us way more from the get go...
I did a thread from start on my S¹ G-13, I said from seed I had two phenos, as they grew, I kept mentioning the slightest nuiance, I had one gentleman tell me to quit worrying so much on the diff cause it was too early to tell anyway, "they are just two healthy plants.... Well two distinctly different plants, the small G leaner was the tiny seed, the other Afghan(?) Leaner was the large seed and was by far a taller plant.
Who knows? Keep us posted Sym!

K

kolah

Why is it BS though?.....because? When they said the world was round people laughed and called BS on that too, I'm setting sail..the new world awaits! I even bet the first person who decided to grow mj indoors got laughed out of Dodge as well, What harm can it do to pre-label a seed male or female, watch it grow, and then tell people whether it holds true or not? It only requires putting a marker on the pot, nothing else too labor intensive on my part. Stick around I'll let you know when I sex them what I find.

You are right. My apologies.

Well, you have pretty good odds (50-50)at just plain guessing. But maybe you are on to something. Let us know how it turns out.

T

TheIronLung317

WTF?? Other people proved the general consensus wrong because they had logical information that made their case hold water. In this case; craters and mesas are BS. A plants physiology is consistent. It makes a hole on one end of the seed to attach the seed to the flower and a point at the other end to define the seed structure. ALL MJ seeds have this in common, period.

symbiote420

symbiote420

WTF?? Other people proved the general consensus wrong because they had logical information that made their case hold water. In this case; craters and mesas are BS. A plants physiology is consistent. It makes a hole on one end of the seed to attach the seed to the flower and a point at the other end to define the seed structure. ALL MJ seeds have this in common, period.

We'll see by the end of January.........and by the way there was no logical info for breeding autos and fems either, yet thru experimentation we have them available now, 20 to 30 years ago that was probably BS too! Right?

K

kolah

Agreed.... just because things are not backed by "science" doesn't mean there are other possibilities. On the other hand we all know some stuff supposedly backed by "science" is total bullshit.

If you find a valid method of identification we can call you "The Seedman."

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

I agree with both symbiote420 and kolah. BUT, just for my own comic relief; I am in a parallel universe where cannabis is legal and police officers carry flowers. Let "science" prove THAT shit wrong. I guess you make your own reality. I am a little too stoned from Green Manalishi for this conversation. Good luck with your experiment symbiote420!

-nugzz

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Oddly I was at the bar with my brother tonight and he said his buddy said something similar about stripes and spots on seeds. He didn’t think it was true but ran it past me to see if I had heard of it. Weird that this thread would be bumped on the same night after 8 years in purgatory.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I've done all of my growing from seed. I haven't found any correlation between seed appearance except that Sativa seeds are typically smaller and all brown, while Indica is usually striped or spotted...hybrids are a little of both. I WISH I could tell which were guys and which were girls by looking at them..who knows? Maybe I haven't looked at them in the right light.

Top Bottom