If I don’t spend some $$ soon, my grow tent gonna turn into a closet

• Thread starter Cabi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Vesti Bule

Vesti Bule

So. I have learned that the initial investment for a newbie on a new grow, if done correctly, can be a bit pricey.
:eek:
What, in your opinion, is a must have in a tent the first 2 to 3 weeks so maybe I don’t have to buy everything at once. If I need more money, Do you guys think if I went to the credit union, this would classify as a home improvement loan?

Hey @Cabi - here is just a thought on the lighting situation, with both cost and the short-to-mid term under consideration. First, as I think someone else noted there is a Spider Farmer sf1000 under THC's classifieds tab. Pretty low cost-wise. This would NOT get you through or even very well into flower in a 3x3 (uses only about 100watts), but you could certainly sprout and veg for a good month or so, which might provide some time to come up with the right cash for the right light for the space.

The advantage here is that you would then have the SF to use in the future in a smaller veg area that you could use to have vegged gals prepped for the 3x3 directly after harvest with little to no "down time" to speak of, which gets closer to a continuous grow. You could also use it in a mother space, that if managed well could also serve some veg or at least clone rooting or seed sprouting purposes.

Lots to think about, but as almost everyone here would probably agree, the natural tendency is for this hobby to grow beyond one's initial conception, and having separate veg and grow areas is probably the first "expansion impulse" you'll cope with.

So far as a permanent fixture for your 3x3, just my two cents, but I would stick with the led quantum board style; they have proven themselves to be effective lights, and they double down on cost savings from a direct cost-of-use standpoint, and also save whatever energy costs would be expended in keeping temps under control as one might with HPS/CMH.

Good luck!

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Hey @Cabi - here is just a thought on the lighting situation, with both cost and the short-to-mid term under consideration. First, as I think someone else noted there is a Spider Farmer sf1000 under THC's classifieds tab. Pretty low cost-wise. This would NOT get you through or even very well into flower in a 3x3 (uses only about 100watts), but you could certainly sprout and veg for a good month or so, which might provide some time to come up with the right cash for the right light for the space.

The advantage here is that you would then have the SF to use in the future in a smaller veg area that you could use to have vegged gals prepped for the 3x3 directly after harvest with little to no "down time" to speak of, which gets closer to a continuous grow. You could also use it in a mother space, that if managed well could also serve some veg or at least clone rooting or seed sprouting purposes.

Lots to think about, but as almost everyone here would probably agree, the natural tendency is for this hobby to grow beyond one's initial conception, and having separate veg and grow areas is probably the first "expansion impulse" you'll cope with.

So far as a permanent fixture for your 3x3, just my two cents, but I would stick with the led quantum board style; they have proven themselves to be effective lights, and they double down on cost savings from a direct cost-of-use standpoint, and also save whatever energy costs would be expended in keeping temps under control as one might with HPS/CMH.

Good luck!
She’s close to me too. That would be a killing for her. $50
For sf1000 cabi?

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
I see you now! You sir are an instigator. Ha. I’m starting to feel lightheaded

Ok I'm going to be "that" guy. There's this thing call "the sun.." :))) It's cheap (free even). No inexpensive light can come close. Want to keep the plant in veg, get one of the lower priced lights referenced in this threat. Hang it in your closet. Keep the photo period at a minimum of 18/6 if you're using photo seeds and not autos. Timer kills the light obviously. Then when you wake up in the morning, cart those bad mommas outside and let them bask in the sun. Sun goes down, haul them inside and toss them into a closet under the light. Want the light to bounce? High gloss white paint. Throw a tarp on the floor. Grow in dirt. You're done dude. Time to flower? Simple switch. Bring them inside at sundown so they get their 12. Make sure your light is not plugged in. Ta Da! Cheapest effective grow on the planet.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Ok I'm going to be "that" guy. There's this thing call "the sun.." :))) It's cheap (free even). No inexpensive light can come close. Want to keep the plant in veg, get one of the lower priced lights referenced in this threat. Hang it in your closet. Keep the photo period at a minimum of 18/6 if you're using photo seeds and not autos. Timer kills the light obviously. Then when you wake up in the morning, cart those bad mommas outside and let them bask in the sun. Sun goes down, haul them inside and toss them into a closet under the light. Want the light to bounce? High gloss white paint. Throw a tarp on the floor. Grow in dirt. You're done dude. Time to flower? Simple switch. Bring them inside at sundown so they get their 12. Make sure your light is not plugged in. Ta Da! Cheapest effective grow on the planet.

I appreciate the sun but moving plants in and out is risking pests and mold and stress in general.

I could see doing it in a shed outside for light deprivation.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I appreciate the sun but moving plants in and out is risking pests and mold and stress in general.

I just ran an extension cord outside and hooked up a 50w cfl. But indoor is much more convenient.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter

Really? Weird. I live in the deep woods. Hasn’t been an issue for me. Inside under flouros. Outside during the day. Please don’t mind the dog shit in the one pic. Sort of happens that way sometimes...

229A89A7 3244 477F AF85 7AD54AD1A559
FDE3B4A1 3766 4B81 9ACA 4E5BF7D7A25D
0C8197EF 67E3 43DE A6D0 4DBD47C386C9
ECE71801 44AD 41F4 B368 1AFA17A28A3C
EE48C445 2F98 44FC B191 F073C7C70A90
TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

You been given good advice here.....BUT......😗 I gotta say, and I know I'm not alone on this, but when I made the switch to LED, a few years ago, I didn't trust the tech, I didn't really understand how LED drivers worked, I wasn't sure about coverage needed as in watts per square feet, temperature control.....etc.I

I knew the requirements for growing with LED's were slightly different than with HID lights, but I just wasn't sure about anything really.

So I bought some economy LED's from China.....they worked pretty good 👍 they pulled 300 watts from the wall, and cost around $110 each. They put out UVA/UVB and IR....

They are still available on Amazon I do believe......

I noticed they ran hot enough to almost burn you if you touched the LED light directly.

Fast forward to a year later, I built my first custom LED light using Quantum boards from HLG, and Meanwell drivers......holy shit was my first thoughts......the differences would take me a few days to list and compose here there are so many!!

My second thought........I wish I could have the $400++ bucks I spent on those lights from China back!!

Had I applied that $400 to what I ended up spending ANYWAY on a legit rig........I could have an even better light than I do now!!

I feel like I really wasted some cash that could have been spent on QUALITY gear that will last you a while.

You will likely really like growing......and quality gear is an important factor in the equation, IMHO.....save your duckies until you can get what you actually need//want.

IMG 20200627 212210
TheKushie

TheKushie

Gosh. The light I’m looking at is probably around 350. That with the tent already puts me at five. My tent is 3 x 3. Am I doing too much too soon? Everybody’s been telling me how important the lights are for yield.
You should shop on Amazon for your stuff maybe you'll find savings there

Cabi

Cabi

Good luck!
Thank you for your advice. I wrote this a second ago and since then I have made a purchase. I settled for the HLG 300L. Right now I’m concentrating on nutrients, trying to figure out if I need Any calcium and I think I’m ready to go. I think I’ve been trying to gain as much information about the grow as possible. Problem is I’m a bit anal. I’m very detail oriented, Which sucks. Because it takes me forever to put it together. Why can’t I be normal? Anyway I think I’ve got enough in my head. So now I’m just going to get to growing And hopefully as the plant grows so does my knowledge. Thanks again

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I love how all these suggestions are coming after I bought the light. I do appreciate it. I ended up going with the HLG 300L. Thanks again
You bought a great light. You won’t be disappointed.

Cabi

Cabi

You been given good advice here.....BUT......😗 I gotta say, and I know I'm not alone on this, but when I made the switch to LED, a few years ago, I didn't trust the tech, I didn't really understand how LED drivers worked, I wasn't sure about coverage needed as in watts per square feet, temperature control.....etc.I

I knew the requirements for growing with LED's were slightly different than with HID lights, but I just wasn't sure about anything really.

So I bought some economy LED's from China.....they worked pretty good 👍 they pulled 300 watts from the wall, and cost around $110 each. They put out UVA/UVB and IR....

They are still available on Amazon I do believe......

I noticed they ran hot enough to almost burn you if you touched the LED light directly.

Fast forward to a year later, I built my first custom LED light using Quantum boards from HLG, and Meanwell drivers......holy shit was my first thoughts......the differences would take me a few days to list and compose here there are so many!!

My second thought........I wish I could have the $400++ bucks I spent on those lights from China back!!

Had I applied that $400 to what I ended up spending ANYWAY on a legit rig........I could have an even better light than I do now!!

I feel like I really wasted some cash that could have been spent on QUALITY gear that will last you a while.

You will likely really like growing......and quality gear is an important factor in the equation, IMHO.....save your duckies until you can get what you actually need//want.
That’s all great information. I really appreciate it. Ended up going with the HLG 300 L. Wish me luck

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
Lol may I suggest wishing wells.. been hot these days and may make for a good cover.

Yes and the cost of bulbs. Not sure if anyone mentioned that
Don't forget about backup(s) ! I had a 1 day old bulb blow out because of curious children.

Top Bottom