If you ever wondered what happened to Furthur...

• Thread starter Seamaiden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well, now ya know.
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Ken-Kesey-s-Furthur-bus-on-new-trip-to-5160396.php

It was one of the glorious symbols of the laid-back, acid-laced '60s in Northern California. Now, half a century later, Ken Kesey's psychedelic bus, with its quixotic name "Furthur," has been rescued from an Oregon swamp and is on its way to restoration, minus the LSD that fueled its passengers so long ago.

Furthur - the name veered occasionally to Further, but Furthur stuck - was the bus used by the Merry Pranksters, a group of 14 happy friends of Kesey's, for a cross-country trip (in more ways than one) in 1964. The goal was to visit the World's Fair in New York and, incidentally, celebrate the publication of Kesey's second novel, "Sometimes a Great Notion."

Kesey had already scored big with his first book, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," and the voyage was going to be kind of an educational journey. LSD was legal at the time, and the Pranksters set out to explain the drug's mind-expanding powers to anyone they met along the way who wanted to try it.

Station wagon
Originally, the Pranksters were simply going to pile into a station wagon and set out for the East. But when the crowd grew too big for a wagon, Kesey, who was living in the Bay Area, bought a 1939 International Harvester school bus, which had been converted to a camper by its previous owner. Kesey turned it into the rambling acid lab on wheels that was immortalized in Tom Wolfe's 1968 best-seller "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test."

Once the Pranksters set to painting it, they decided it was not going to be school bus yellow. As Wolfe's book put it, the bus ended up "glowing orange, green, magenta, lavender, chlorine blue, every fluorescent pastel imaginable in thousands of designs, large and small, like a cross betweenFernand Léger and Dr. Strange, roaring together and vibrating off each other as if somebody had given Hieronymus Bosch 50 buckets of Day-Glo paint and a 1939 International Harvester school bus and told him to go to it."

This was not a body shop paint job.

"Being psychedelic characters, we were taking LSD, and LSD opens your mind to other things,"Ken Babbs, one of the original Pranksters, said in an interview the other day, by way of explaining the inspiration for the paint job. "LSD goes into areas where you've never been before, and you're using all that newfound consciousness with all those psychedelic colors."

Goldwater gag
Babbs, who is 78 and lives outside Eugene, Ore., said that when the bus rolled into Phoenix, home of Barry Goldwater, the Republican presidential nominee in 1964, the Pranksters painted "A Vote for Barry is a Vote for Fun" on the side of the bus and then drove it backward down the main drag, while blaring out the national anthem from the bus' prodigious bank of speakers.

Reaction to the bus, as it wound its way through big cities and small towns, ranged from puzzlement (adults) to delight (children).

"For the little kids, it was like the circus coming to town," said another Prankster, George Walker, 74, who lives in Scappoose, Ore. "When we hit New York, we drove around the city, and the traffic was slow. We looked like the pied piper, with maybe 100 kids running along behind us. Adults were perplexed by it. Kids got it."

The New York trip was a whirlwind - the Pranksters met up with such '60s notables as LSD guruTimothy Leary - but eventually the trip was over, the '60s ended and life moved on.

Kesey returned to California, but after a while he "kind of hung up his spurs and moved back to Oregon," said software company executive and '60s scholar Jason Johnson, who is executive director of the Furthur Down the Road Foundation.

Sunk in a swamp
Kesey, who had relegated the bus to a swamp on his farm, died in November 2001. About four years later, his son Zane hitched up a tractor and pulled Furthur out of the muck and towed it up to the house. It's now in covered storage, awaiting restoration.

The foundation, which has raised about $15,000 for startup expenses, is spearheading the effort to resuscitate Furthur. The restoration itself has not begun. Johnson said it will take at least $300,000 to make the bus sound again, down to the unique paint job.

"We'd like to create a rolling exhibit," Johnson said from Oregon, "and take the restored bus around the nation or loan it out to universities and educate people about Ken Kesey's life, his art and his work."

As for Zane Kesey, 52, he remembers "when I was a little kid, painting on the bus. Painting it (those colors) made all the sense in the world. Didn't seem silly to me."

I think that the best book to read, for those who don't really know a lot about this era, is The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolf. It explains a whole lot about the Merry Pranksters and their overall influence. It puts you there, man! It's the best acid-trip writing I've ever read, and it was written by a man who's never dropped.

seaslug

seaslug

Further was at the Seattle Hempfest last year.

Edit: maybe it was a replica but randude posted his photo of it at another cannabis site.

Edit2: the caption for image #17 explains the deal. "Ken Kesey bought another old school bus in the 1990s and, with other original Merry Pranksters, prepared the new incarnation of Further."

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, that was the second Furthur, but this is the original bus, the original magic bus if you will, that will hopefully be restored. The biggest question for me is going to be the painting--will they be able to replicate the work and keep what remains intact?

Dutch, the bus, it's the only Furthur I know. :o

dutch69lover

dutch69lover

Well the surviving members of the Grateful dead play in a band named Further...... No doubt since they was around the original bus and the merry pranksters back in the day. My only hope is that they would travel around again doing the acid tests lol

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Is there really any good acid that goes around these days? I haven't dropped in almost 25yrs. Of course, I haven't really felt the pull. Never had a bad trip, either.

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Oh yeah, its around..just expensive in comparison. 70 for a 10...and that was a deal. I was paying 1.25-1.75 a hit in the early/mid 90s for Jerry Garcia. But hell, with all those hours of fun, $7 is still worth it.

Note: I had a bad trip the second time I dosed, the week after my first trip, but that didn't stop me from dosing 1-2 times a week for the next few years. ;)

Is there really any good acid that goes around these days? I haven't dropped in almost 25yrs. Of course, I haven't really felt the pull. Never had a bad trip, either.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Yes there is. Im trippin balls right now :yuck::wacky::wideyed::walkingdead::dead:

sun

sun

i had some good swiss doses about 5 years ago.todays acid is tma? made from calumus root.it peaks comes at you in waves.but it doesnt sparkly no coulor or insight.it just peaks and gets confusing.visualy traceres at best.phisicaly it kind of feels like acid.in portland ore. they have skater acid its just lesergic acid from morning glory seeds-anarchist cookbook style.its real dissapointing.----------------thers always shrooms they actualy work and are easier to grow than weed

newport100s

newport100s

i had some good swiss doses about 5 years ago.todays acid is tma? made from calumus root.it peaks comes at you in waves.but it doesnt sparkly no coulor or insight.it just peaks and gets confusing.visualy traceres at best.phisicaly it kind of feels like acid.in portland ore. they have skater acid its just lesergic acid from morning glory seeds-anarchist cookbook style.its real dissapointing.----------------thers always shrooms they actualy work and are easier to grow than weed

LSA can be sooo much better than the latter, one would be hard pressed to hit the magic spot (dose) on blotter with LSA ESPECIALLY with morning glory seeds, get some hair on your chest and eat 20 semi fresh Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds
as your lawyer i advise you to eat 15-20 HBW seeds and come back to me in the morning

i sold psychedelics exclusively for quite some time, went thru enough pages to write a novel ;)

had* a legit GD fam fluff connect, its still out there trust me. but by the time it gets to the consumer its 10-15 a pop, and normally most the peeps that buy it hoard it

MOST of the acid out there now a days is RC's from work of shulgin and friends
25-i, DOx, etc
real acid will never taste like a damn thing, IME itd just sometimes smell like hippies
fake acid will taste bitter and make your tounge numb (research chemicals)

coolest GDF print i ever got was a legit random photo of jerry punching a black guy in the face.
i never took a pic of it due to its nature.. but i regret it. ive searched for that photo for a few years and cant find it

moral of the story,
just eat a shit ton (20-30 grams) of mimmosa hostillis with a good maoi (syrian rue)
JUST DONT EAT DAIRY PRODUCTS AND IF U ALREADY TAKE MAOI's CONSULT YOUR LOCAL PSYCHONAUT, if he doesnt know what peganum harmala is hes no bueno and is prolly selling you research chemicals. lolz

end of rant. sorry

Reactions: sun
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yeah, I don't recall acid having any flavor other than the paper or sugar cubes it was dropped on. In high school we had one guy who had it in liquid form, $2/drop, dripped anywhere you like. The usual choices were tongue, or in the eyes.

newport100s

newport100s

if i had the female anatomy id prolly get creative, if im not mistaken its the mucous membranes your really after as far as absorption goes, so.. yeah just food for thought. lol

the eyes thing always tripped me out. i never fucked with it

bump on HBW seeds

TRY THEM

Top Bottom