If you like a challenge click on this link. Kailyn's first hopefully successful grow.

• Thread starter WasabiSid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WasabiSid

WasabiSid

Hello all,
my name is Kailyn, I live in Brisbane Australia. I am utterly determined to succeed at growing and I think there in lies my problem.
I have made three attempts, with none of them growing past ten centimetres tall. I have discovered overheating, overwatering (a few times), light way too close and way too far away, and nute burn.
This thread is my vow to document everything to prevent myself from making further mistakes.
First up I'm growing in just coco and 40% perlight, all the seeds I have are autos.
Temp is at the moment always between 23-28c, humidity around 70. pH of my water is kept between 6.3-6.8.

This plant that I have pictured here has been through a lot, and is severely stunted (I have another thread about this plant), and had the nute burn because I stupidly thought coco meant feed your seedlings lol, so I trimmed the damaged branches I guess because I read it somewhere. Now it has stopped growing for around 2 weeks (maybe just to recover?). I guess I would love to keep it growing just as practice for the later stages so I'd love if you guys think that's possible. It is almost 5 weeks old.
And I have a seed currently in some paper towel in a little container that I will plant soon.

If you're with me this far you're a champ and I'd love your input. I know I am doing the wrong things but I am so ready to learn :)
Week 4.5.jpg
Week 4.5b.jpg

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Best of luck. I'm not a coco grower, so I can't be of much help beyond that.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Make the plants do ur bidding, with seedlings back ur light off so they reach for it not shy away or burn, coco holds water i would suggest dirt made for cannabis, use clay for good drainage, use a light food i use botanacare pro grow just nitro and fish multch, remember not to overfeed as if you have a proper medium i suggest fox farm ocean forest but dont know what you can get maybe bio bizz? Anyway the plants will be getting nutrients from ur mix so go light, if your growing autos really cut back on nutrients, run your cycle 18/6, plant your beans 1/2inc deep in pot u intend to do your whole grow in mostly 3gal if running autoflowers dont transplant, you need to add pearlite to your mix if you go with dirt this is for airation and nitro, get a ph meter and good glass or jewlers loupe, get seeds from a reputable bank or breeder, once your seedlings pop a few times a day move them back and forth this will not hurt them and make your mainstem harden faster, put a fan on them or aim it above the plant to keep it cool, if you dont have ac do research and find a strain suited for your environment some strains do like it hot, keep things simple, i grow autoflowers and found a seed on floor, could not get ffof bc of supply issues bc of flu so broke 2 major rules, transplanted and had to put in miricle grow, the ph has been high you can lower it with white vinegar, other than leaves limeing out it exeded my expectations but have no idea what it is. Good luck.

20210505 100228
Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

Durban poison would probably be a decent strain for you. Heat and drought resistant. You’ll still have to manage your overwatering

WasabiSid

WasabiSid

Second seed just planted. I have a lux meter on my phone but is that useless? What is the best way to measure your lights output?

Habosabin

Habosabin

Second seed just planted. I have a lux meter on my phone but is that useless? What is the best way to measure your lights output?
If you have a iPhone, there is an app called Photone that is very accurate and was tested by the migro guy. I use it to measure my DLI at canopy.

Also, my first grows were autos. I love them but you have way more control with photos and canopy control. Autos flower whenever they want. All mine started showing pistils around 21 days. Just a tad to early imo. Have to throw 3 in a small tent to fill it. My auto is great weed however and I do plan on growing the rest of my auto seeds.

My first photo is over twice the size of my auto in the same amount of days. Might want to consider photos after your autos. I'm not hating on autos just saying photos might be a little more efficient.

The auto the top pic is 102 days old harvest next day. The photo in bottom pic is 75 days old just for comparison still has est. 3 weeks to go.

Good luck on your grow!

3D56AF66 463A 4508 A9B1 46920BB96A1F
Last edited:
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Rinsed yes but I don't know what charging it is so most likely no. How do you charge the soil? Adding calmag?

With coco, after it is rinsed, should be 'pre charged' with a low EC nutrient solution because certain nutrients will bind to the coco. Some people use cal mag, but you can also use your base nutes at a very low dose.

WasabiSid

WasabiSid

With coco, after it is rinsed, should be 'pre charged' with a low EC nutrient solution because certain nutrients will bind to the coco. Some people use cal mag, but you can also use your base nutes at a very low dose.
Thanks I will do this for sure next time. I have a standard nute mix, just in general should I go out and buy some calmag? Is it something that standard nutrient mixes lack?

amekins

amekins

Thanks I will do this for sure next time. I have a standard nute mix, just in general should I go out and buy some calmag? Is it something that standard nutrient mixes lack?
What does “standard nute mix” mean/include? Feeding schedule?

Last edited:
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I usually do not use cal mag supplement, but it doesn't hurt to have it on hand in case it is needed for some reason. I use a 1 part that has everything, but some nutrients don't have enough and you might need it.

So it really depends on what fertilizer you are using, but again, it doesn't hurt to have it just in case.

Crazyman1212

Crazyman1212

I always stick to the light manufactures recommendation for light distances for your plants. You will never go wrong.

Top Bottom