Illinois - Question for Illinois Medical Card Holder with 3-Year Card

• Thread starter ExNavyInSTL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

Last year, I got the 3-year version of Illinois' Medical Card.

I used a service called Veriheal.

After a year, they contacted me and said that even though I have a 3-year Card, I still must Zoom Call with their Doctor once a year.

I have looked, but can't find that requirement in the regs.

I ask because it is a $175 hit every time.

Has this also been your experience?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Last year, I got the 3-year version of Illinois' Medical Card.

I used a service called Veriheal.

After a year, they contacted me and said that even though I have a 3-year Card, I still must Zoom Call with their Doctor once a year.

I have looked, but can't find that requirement in the regs.

I ask because it is a $175 hit every time.

Has this also been your experience?
In MO it is every year. But now that recreational is legal, does it matter? Maybe a plant count thing for you?

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I know the regs vary from state to state but I would be surprised if any state lets you go 3 years without seeing a doc for renewal, I am in a legal state, med and rec, I have my med card and must renew each year with a doc's signature, and ya it costs mula, sucks I know.

I just upped mine and that $175 number is exactly what I paid to renew as well.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

But now that recreational is legal, does it matter? Maybe a plant count thing for you?
Plant count was why I renew my med license. And ya, what about rec? There is a strong feeling in my state that they want to get rid of med and its' 4% tax and have everyone do the rec @ a whopping 20% tax. My friend at the dispensary is advising his med customers to renew their cards as he thinks they will use declining med card numbers to justify getting rid of med altogether.

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

I don't mind the money. My concern was generating fear of losing your card unless you "pay the man."

At least I don't need to "Renew" every year.

In MO it is every year. But now that recreational is legal, does it matter? Maybe a plant count thing for you?

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
In hindsight, $175 a year isn’t anything. You could pull that with a couple donations from friends and family after you harvest a crop 😉. If renewing every year is going to keep you in good standing, why not renew every year? Good luck
Burnz

Nesta028

Nesta028

No man. Im in Illinois and I’ve had my card since the first year of the pilot program. I only need to see my doc to recertify upon my license renewal. I believe the original program was every two years and now there’s options for three years. So once every three years. Send me a DM if you want my doctors info.

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

I am happy to play by the rules and pay what's necessary.

I was just under the impression that if they (Illinois) took your money for 3 years, then they would leave you alone for 3 years.

They also have a 2-year card and a 1-year. It makes sense you would need to check in once a year for the 1-year card.

Otherwise, why have separate annual-based cards if every year is a doctor check-in year?

Having said that, I also didn't want these 3rd-Party doctors who work under the umbrella of companies that specialize in Cannabis Med Cards creating a "need" that doesn't exist just for an income stream.

If Illinois really doesn't require yearly check-ins on their multiple-year cards, you can understand this technique could create unnecessary fear for some folks who worry about losing legal status.

Nesta ... I've already paid for this appointment. I'll use that time to get better clarity. I Zoom with him at 2230 tonight.

It's all just another tax on a plant.

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

Ok, I called the state and they said they don't need anything from me until 5 months leading up to the expiration.

However, depending on who I choose as the doctor to get me into the system, they could have internal rules for this yearly requirement. And, IF, you don't play by their rules they can revoke you from their end and Illinois accepts their revocation.

The state rep was very nice and helpful.

At least I got an education for my $175.

Next time, if I decide to switch who certifies me I at least know better to ask about their policy on follow-ups.

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Illinois peeps all over the farm! Cool, we just got to Decatur. Its cool with all the little smoke spots with nice lake views! ✌🏻5 plant count sux, but better then nothing. (NJ)
Time to change that name? DecaturDood?

Moshmen

Moshmen

Our yearly cost is 75$ here in Fla- however growing is still frowned upon! Mostly cuz of corporate America/Canada

Florida Marijuana Cultivation License Cost​

The cost of a marijuana cultivation license in Florida is the highest of any state in the union. That’s because only 22 have been granted, and a few have been resold for astronomical prices. Some of the prices have been listed at $40 and $55 million, with the most expensive one being sold at $67 million.

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

I put this question up on another website and a person posted this from Veriheal's own website:

Veriheal 1

Veriheal 2

The Doctor and I are going to have a chat tonight.

JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

Time to change that name? DecaturDood?
Nope. Lived in 18 different states during my adult life, and name stays the same. This maybe yet another stop on the way. I like it here, but doesn’t feel like we’ll be here forever. ✌🏻

flowerdave

flowerdave

Just curious, If rec is legal there what is the benefit of having a medical card? Here in Michigan i dont see any.

JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

You can only grow your own if you have the med card.
Edit: here in Illinois that is.

flowerdave

flowerdave

Got ya, they should cal it a growers card. Ha . well here in Michigan you can grow 12 plants per household but you can only have 10 oz total in your home . Now that's weird.

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

I have a follow up for you guys. It was mostly a misunderstanding.

They had in their records that I was a 1-year card. My money was refunded.

Although in fairness, there is a bit of confusion all around. These doctors (or qualified as) are mandated by the state of Illinois to maintain a regular relationship with the patients and not just be a paper pusher. So, it makes sense that someone who is vouching for your condition would be compelled to not want to go 3 years without any other conversations.

Whereas, most of us are happy to deal with paper pushers. We just want our medical cards, and all others should get off our lawns. 😁

Also in their defense, these individuals may or may not know the amount the "contractor" charge for visits. They only know what they are paid, which is not an equal share - by far. Of course, it's their fault for not knowing what their "cut" represents of the total cost. Some may have been doing it for a while and when they started the cost to us was lower than current charges.

I'm just glad the situation is settled and I got my money back.

By the way, this is what the State of Illinois says (very confusing):

In one paragraph, they say:
  • Have a bona-fide Health Care Provider-patient relationship with the qualifying patient. The bona-fide Health Care Provider-patient relationship may not be limited to issuing a written certification for the patient or a consultation simply for that purpose.
They also say:

All qualifying patients who apply for a medical cannabis registry identification card must have their debilitating medical condition certified by a certifying health care provider (advance practice registered nurse-full practice authority, advanced practice nurse, physician assistant, or doctor of medicine (MD) or doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO)) once every three years or if their medical cannabis registry identification card expires.

Top Bottom