I'm A Little Weary Of Asking, Should I "flush"

• Thread starter Mrniceguy420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I only flush my plants when there about 10 days till done, I want all the base and agent out, after that 1 good flush it still takes awhile for your plants to rid themselves of the nutrients, and a light flush just to get rid of any residue left over, the reason I put my plants in darkness is beacuse the person who taught me thinks the plant's frost up a bit by being in darkness, I do not know if it's true or an old wife's tale but it's a habit, I do not want to taste the nutrients in my smoke so the only way i know how to get rid of them is a good flush about 10 days to harvest, if anyone knows a better way i would be intrgeed.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

My personal observations, what is generally known about plant chemistry, and this paper,

all agree that there is no effect on nutrient levels in the plant due to flushing.

There is no pathway observed by science that would transport nutrients out of the plant. Root membranes are specifically evolved to transport nutrients one way, against an osmotic gradient. Leaf stomata exhale oxygen and water. The measurements in the paper above indicate that nutrient levels don't significantly change, so regardless of public opinion, we are ALL smoking some minor level of nutrients.

My observations of my own taste and that of the dozens of people who have smoked my stuff for many years, is that there is no 'nutrient' taste. I think people are just smoking poorly cured weed.

Therefore, I think flushing is unnecessary, and don't do it. Only my opinion, but it's supported by science.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

I've feed all the way through and saw no true benefits of it. I usually run12 days of flushing and weight quality all the same as when i feed all the way through. So if there's no real difference seems to make sense and water them out instead of wasting money on food. 90% of cannabis growing is bro science.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've feed all the way through and saw no true benefits of it. I usually run12 days of flushing and weight quality all the same as when i feed all the way through. So if there's no real difference seems to make sense and water them out instead of wasting money on food. 90% of cannabis growing is bro science.

See i try to feed minimally and a 12 day flush for me will hurt quality and yield.

Unless i fed to luxery levels.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I do quit feeding in soil, which is all outside in beds, so the plants get some remaining nutes until they're done. In hydro I just let the last fill run to the end while maintaining pH.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I just came across the concept of Luxury consumption of I think it is potassium as regards plants in general. What is your experience/thoughts on this with cannabis?

I just mean feeding to excess so there is actually enough left in the medium for a long time of water only or even leaching the pots.

As far as i have learned the plant uses even more potassium than nitrogen. But i also believe too much pk and not enough nitrogen will stress plants into early yellowing and lower quality and yield.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I just mean feeding to excess so there is actually enough left in the medium for a long time of water only or even leaching the pots.

As far as i have learned the plant uses even more potassium than nitrogen. But i also believe too much pk and not enough nitrogen will stress plants into early yellowing and lower quality and yield.
My quick reading just now indicates that plants in general will take in more potassium than can be immediately used if its present. I don't heavily feed, so maybe there is some effect associated with that that I haven't run across.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

My quick reading just now indicates that plants in general will take in more potassium than can be immediately used if its present. I don't heavily feed, so maybe there is some effect associated with that that I haven't run across.

Pretty sure thats associated with typical tip burn.

Marijuana is an accumulator plant so i understand its important to err on the side of light feeding.

And not that it is a popular opinion but i avoid additives for this reason.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

My personal observations, what is generally known about plant chemistry, and this paper,

all agree that there is no effect on nutrient levels in the plant due to flushing.

There is no pathway observed by science that would transport nutrients out of the plant. Root membranes are specifically evolved to transport nutrients one way, against an osmotic gradient. Leaf stomata exhale oxygen and water. The measurements in the paper above indicate that nutrient levels don't significantly change, so regardless of public opinion, we are ALL smoking some minor level of nutrients.

My observations of my own taste and that of the dozens of people who have smoked my stuff for many years, is that there is no 'nutrient' taste. I think people are just smoking poorly cured weed.

Therefore, I think flushing is unnecessary, and don't do it. Only my opinion, but it's supported by science.

Thanks for confirming what the minorities of the world have to endure daily: that the masses contribute nothing but false information by being utterly unqualified in what they are confident they are destined to do,a confirmation obtained by obviously being unqualified for numerous other trades.

Plants don't use nutes you say. OK that's my new favorite e-grower online cult myth. Plants don't use nutes. They just collect them. Cool. Flushing is a myth cuz plants don't use nutes, only collect them.

And all the plants at all the dispensaries who smell like specific lines of grow products and nothing like Cannabis genetics, just a myth. An observable reality that would hold up in any court. All the little nicknames we use to categorize modern day American weed by the line of nutes used to grow it, just imaginary.

I burned 2 piles of leaves once and no one could tell which pile had the maple in it. I'm now an Expert on the subject.

Real scientists can measure the changing nute levels throughout the day and online pot communals still can't hone their collective Google skills. Nothing new on thcfarmer.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I like what you said, and I do know that flushing out your plants will not imedidetley rid your plants of all the nutrients, I was allways told to flush out my plants about 10 days before harvesting, beacuse this will give the plant time to use up whatever is left after flushing, very old habbit die very hard, your a chemist so I do believe you, but water is free and I can't see any harm in flushing out your plants or I suppose 10 days before harvesting just give water and I suppose the plants will use up any leftover nutrients, I'm probably wrong for some reason, but again very old habbits die very hard.

Mrknowsbuds

Mrknowsbuds

040865A6 1FE5 48DA 9F57 7C3296059201
I use KIS soil and ph my water to 5.9. I water with PhD water the whole plant life, no nutes added with this soil. Use the amendment pack after harvest and even reuse your soil!! This is the cheapest, easiest, most efficient way I have found to grow in my 20+ years of cultivation. Have been using it for about ten years now. The results are absolutely amazing for the lack of effort and nute mixing. I no longer play a mad scientist with my babies . I have never done a run off, so I honestly don’t know what, if anything, is actually being flushed out. The smoke is always super tasty, super smooth, and super high! I have 6 different strains and they all get the same treatment, with insane differences in flavors. I have gone up to 20 cycles with the SAME SOIL and same killer results.
261E0B2D 9BE0 4470 A939 0B70E46DD2DD
961F2E56 EAC1 47D7 A51E 59840FB30A86
FC79365C 729C 473A A403 39FE88C56654
83DFEE2C 387B 4E47 AB8B D98CBCA1EA66
430F3ABA BA17 4179 AEBB 0A71A970D8EA

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I never heard of that medium , I would wager 99% of the people on this site who grow in dirt use either fox farms or pro mix, one question what is PhD water? I must sound stupid I do know what distilled water is however I use fox farms and as for water if I'm drinking it my plants are lol we really do have good water it's not hard or well, just add pearlite? I do not use a large amount of nutrients but if your getting results like that with none I'm impressed, is this a hot mix?

Mrknowsbuds

Mrknowsbuds

I never heard of that medium , I would wager 99% of the people on this site who grow in dirt use either fox farms or pro mix, one question what is PhD water? I must sound stupid I do know what distilled water is however I use fox farms and as for water if I'm drinking it my plants are lol we really do have good water it's not hard or well, just add pearlite? I do not use a large amount of nutrients but if your getting results like that with none I'm impressed, is this a hot mix?
Just water ph balanced to 5.9. The water out the tap is about 7.2-8.0 depending on what part of the city you’re in

Mrknowsbuds

Mrknowsbuds

Sorry...and yes, the soil is pre mixed from the factory. I’ll post the listed ingredients if you would like to see.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I like what you said, and I do know that flushing out your plants will not imedidetley rid your plants of all the nutrients, I was allways told to flush out my plants about 10 days before harvesting, beacuse this will give the plant time to use up whatever is left after flushing, very old habbit die very hard, your a chemist so I do believe you, but water is free and I can't see any harm in flushing out your plants or I suppose 10 days before harvesting just give water and I suppose the plants will use up any leftover nutrients, I'm probably wrong for some reason, but again very old habbits die very hard.
Certainly no there is no great harm. I just argue that there is no positive effect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom