I'm going with the BIGGER is better theory

• Thread starter mjab702
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mjab702

mjab702

I've got a bruce banner photo and a green crack photo, both of which I let get about 5 foot tall indoors and have not flipped yet. Have I made a mistake or not. They are in a 4x5 closet and mars hydro tsl2000 with ac infinity 6 inch exhaust. My main concern is the stretch when i flip them. these are my 1st photoperiods and have never seen the stretch to know what to expect

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

I've got a bruce banner photo and a green crack photo, both of which I let get about 5 foot tall indoors and have not flipped yet. Have I made a mistake or not. They are in a 4x5 closet and mars hydro tsl2000 with ac infinity 6 inch exhaust. My main concern is the stretch when i flip them. these are my 1st photoperiods and have never seen the stretch to know what to expect
My foot tall plants (in veg) stretched to be up to my chin and I'm 6'4". Try to train them down and flip em!

Ponky

Ponky

Bruce banner stretches a lot. A whole lot. And makes big heavy buds.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

As long as you have 10 foot ceilings, you're fine. The flower stretch usually doubles or slightly more what you already have.
Either top and trim or train the snot out of them, or a combo of all three.

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

You're going to need about all that space to flower either plant. If they're 5 ft tall it must already be pretty crowded in there? How much more vertical space do you have?

Depending where you are, you could throw one outside now if you had a place to put it for some kind of crop by late October.

Hopefully you can keep clones of them going for the next crop?

Ponky

Ponky

You cab just chop them down to 2 feet or so. No rule says you can't chop 60% off the top.

mjab702

mjab702

You're going to need about all that space to flower either plant. If they're 5 ft tall it must already be pretty crowded in there? How much more vertical space do you have?

Depending where you are, you could throw one outside now if you had a place to put it for some kind of crop by late October.

Hopefully you can keep clones of them going for the next crop?
Yes getting crowded in there but I do have 8 ft ceilings and I'm going to clone the bottom limbs sometime before harvest b/c these are beautiful healthy plants.

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

Yes getting crowded in there but I do have 8 ft ceilings and I'm going to clone the bottom limbs sometime before harvest b/c these are beautiful healthy plants.
Yeah I'd ditch one and find a way to train the other to a more horizontal position. If you do it a bit at a time you could probably get one close to horizontal in a week. Then you're ready to flower. Otherwise you're probably going to just get one big cola bud per plant, a few other decent smaller buds near the top and a bunch of larf anything more than 18 inches from the light. But you'll probably increase your yield by 50% or more with a more horizontal growth habit of the main stem(s) under artificial lighting.

Hope you can still grow the other one outside! If they're in fabric pots just be sure to plant the pot and all; don't try to transplant the root ball out of the pot. If it's dry and not too cold where you are you can get a nice crop 😋. Otherwise expect 50%-100% losses to mold and budworms without treatment(s). 😒

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Yeah I'd ditch one and find a way to train the other to a more horizontal position. If you do it a bit at a time you could probably get one close to horizontal in a week. Then you're ready to flower. Otherwise you're probably going to just get one big cola bud per plant, a few other decent smaller buds near the top and a bunch of larf anything more than 18 inches from the light.
Sillyness.

Trim and train those and you keep both. You're going to need 2 nets. Those are way big for indoors. You will lose a branch or three.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
You won't get anything under 3ft from the top. The light doesn't penetrate. I've grow 7 ft monsters indoors and they lolly pop themselves from lack of light.

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

You cab just chop them down to 2 feet or so. No rule says you can't chop 60% off the top.
My rule is never chop more than 1/3 of the plant. You can take more but you're risking major problems including hermaphrodism and death. We once chopped 100 plants of 3 strains about 50% once and 10 of them died and one strain all went hermie. Another time we chopped 5 strains by roughtly 67% and over half of them died and four of them went hermie. Borderline anecdotal but it's pretty clear that cutting them too much is very stressful to the plant.

Ponky

Ponky

My rule is never chop more than 1/3 of the plant. You can take more but you're risking major problems including hermaphrodism and death. We once chopped 100 plants of 3 strains about 50% once and 10 of them died and one strain all went hermie. Another time we chopped 5 strains by roughtly 67% and over half of them died and four of them went hermie. Borderline anecdotal but it's pretty clear that cutting them too much is very stressful to the plant.
I have some tall mothers from seed I'm sexing. Once they're done giving clones I'll chop off ⅔ as an experiment. Maybe seal the wound with some honey. See how long it can survive. Now I'm curious.

dbrzz

dbrzz

Better to just super crop the main stem apical tip by securing it below the other branch apical tips half the plants height. Even if the stem breaks sealing the wound and letting the secondary branches take over will be less stressful than cutting off the main stem apical bud sight.

30roll

30roll

Yer in trouble.. LOL
I flipped my Goldleaf at 4' and they easily stretched a foot+..
I'm out of headroom and the plants would touch the lights if I didn't tie them away..

RJenZen

RJenZen

I'm currently on my 1st grow. I started with 4 Durban poison sativas in hydro in a MarsHysro 2.5x2.5x5.5 tent with their TS1000. In the process of prepping the tent and buckets they stayed in their seedling setup too long. Moved them to solo cups and finally into the net pots at about 5 weeks. Vegged too long too. Flipped at about 3 feet. They stopped the flower stretch just short of the lights. Of the 4, 3 grew even with each other. 1 lagged behind. Not sure if it rootbound too much in seedling but it got starved for light by the other 3 when they flower stretched and wilted. Another one I pinched the airstone line under a bucket and didnt noticed for about 3 days. Wilted leaves, stinky & slimy roots. Didnt recover, I chucked it before it started attracting fungus gnats. The 2 still going are gorgeous, about 10 days till harvest. Next grow I'm seedling/veg about 4 weeks, I'm flowering about 20-24 inches. I may also use a trellis screen but have to attach them to the net pot lids so they move with the plants when I change the water.

20210812 182551
20210812 182653
20210812 182625
20210813 173312
20210813 173237
20210813 173255
RJenZen

RJenZen

I also have (2) 12x12 cheapo ebay led panels.... 1 red, 1 blue & white, hanging vertically. I have a 360-370 & 395-400 UVA, an Agromax UVB T5 2 ft., a 660nm and 730nm deep and far red. The UVs and deep & far reds are on timers. Hum & dehumidifier, heater, a/c and a/c around my buckets & Inkbird wi-fi controllers. Whew

Top Bottom