I'm not panicking, I'm okay, grow is fine, but... First grow pls advise

• Thread starter sleekRichard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sleekRichard

sleekRichard

Hi,
My first post here, so hi, hello, great to be a part of this community! Now let me preface with the following - I'm sorry if this thread is misplaced, I'm sorry if I'm being an incompetent idiot with my plant and I make you mad, and also apologies for spelling errors, bad grammar etc as English isn't my native language.

This is my first grow, I'm doing my best to educate myself using tons of articles, materials, other people's diaries, and so on but.. one of my plant (the bubblegum) started crossing leaves, some of which also started turning yellow without any consistent pattern to where the yellowing starts. Some in the middle, some on the edges, one has just a small spot on the tip. I'm keeping it cool but I'm curious about what the cause may be. Too much heat? pH off? K deficiency? What do you think? Pics attached.

1. Plants - Gorilla Cookies Auto (1) and Bubblegum Auto (1)
2. Week 5 in progress
3. Grow - indoor tent 60x60 cm (3.9 sqrt feet)
4. Light - HPS 400w (budget setup, hence no LED)
5. Distance of the HPS lights from the top of the canopy - 20 inches
6. Medium - soil Canna Terra Pro
7. Pots - plastic 17l with drainage holes
8. Nutes - BioBizz bio-grow (1ml/1l.) / BioBizz Top Max (1ml/1l.) / BioBizz Bio-Bloom (2ml/1l.) - TDS - I can't tell you I don't have the EC meter
9. Water pH 6.3-6.5 and temp 72-75f (22-24 C) (I water when pots are light and soil is dry up to about 3 inches)
10. Training technique - LST only, no trimming and defoliation (first time so I'm a bit scared to go all in with the scissors)
11. Temps - Day btw 80-85f (27-30 C) and night between 76-80f (24-27 C) / day temp tends to run higher occasionally even up to 88-89 (31-32 C) but this is a rarity and usually lasts for about 2-3 hrs)
12. rH fairly low due to the climate I live in but around 50% but sometimes drops below 40% when humidifier runs out of water at night)
13. Ventilation is good (I think?), 2 inline fans (1in/1out) and 1 fan blowing air on plants from about 18 inches away

p.s.: Don't judge me on the investment in the boost buddy CO2 bag. Little did I know before buying it :P

Img 0485   copyjpg
Img 0487   copyjpg
Img 0488   copyjpg
Img 0489   copyjpg
Img 0490   copyjpg
Img 0494   copyjpg
Img 0500   copyjpg
Img 0502   copyjpg
Last edited:
sleekRichard

sleekRichard

Oh, btw almost forgot. The other plant (Gorilla Cookies) seems to be doing a bit better. Also week 5, same treatment as her sister from another mother.
IMG 0495   Copy
IMG 0497   Copy

iX_Lazy_Xi

iX_Lazy_Xi

Soil looks damp wait longer between watering, I cut slits down side of my nursery pots with razor blade to help dry out roots more evenly.

Trim off some of the larger fan leaves that are effected and keep an eye on things, overall doesn't look to terrible. Mainly just needs to dry out more imo

iX_Lazy_Xi

iX_Lazy_Xi

Leaf twist is probably just from being against side of tent wall

sleekRichard

sleekRichard

Leaf twist is probably just from being against side of tent wall
Hi Lazy, thanks for your insight. I will get rid of the affected leaves tomorrow! I do water every 3 days and the top soil seems dry to touch and is not sticky. As to the twist I don't think that's the case because that finger-crossed fan leaf has never been touching the side wall of the tent.

Last edited:
iX_Lazy_Xi

iX_Lazy_Xi

Is it the gorilla cookies doing it? If so I think that is a genetic trait of gorilla glue then, read about it somewhere on here but can't remember 100%.

iX_Lazy_Xi

iX_Lazy_Xi

Nvm i see where you said its the bubblegum, still could just be a genetic trait of pheno

sleekRichard

sleekRichard

Nvm i see where you said its the bubblegum, still could just be a genetic trait of pheno
Correct, it's the BG that causes the issues. This pheno is generally twisted in its entirety (no pun intended). If you look closely you will also see 3-Point leaves growing all around the lower portion of the plant. At first I was a bit concerned about that too but since the plant grew nicely and looked fairly healthy I assumed it's just a genetic trait of this particular one.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

You seem to have some nute burn on one of the leaves, and one has a yellow stripe running the middle of it.

sleekRichard

sleekRichard

You seem to have some nute burn on one of the leaves, and one has a yellow stripe running the middle of it.
Thanks Comfy, I tought of it at first but couldn't really find a similar case where the discoloration would assume the same pattern. I decided to cut the nutes dosage in a half with the next feeding. We'll see what happens.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Thanks Comfy, I tought of it at first but couldn't really find a similar case where the discoloration would assume the same pattern. I decided to cut the nutes dosage in a half with the next feeding. We'll see what happens.
The nute burn is easy to fix, if it is that (not 100%, could be potassium def), but the stripe up the center has me thrown. That I've never seen. Hey @Aquaman, what do you think?

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Flippin Brilliant. Good Answer! Good Answer!
LOL How I missed that.... Forest for the trees.

sleekRichard

sleekRichard

Have you spilled water on your plant with or just before lights on?
I'm being pretty careful not to splash the water full of nutes on the leaves but it definitely did happen once or twice where the nourished water got onto the lower branches of the plant. HOWEVER I definitely did not splash it on the leaves which are showing the symptoms. I will mention that I do mist my plants with pH-ed water every 2-3 days once the lights go off and that's because the humidity where I live tends to be a bit low (below rH 40% usually).

sleekRichard

sleekRichard

Alright. I will let the soil dry out a little so the roots can get some air. I will put off the flowering nutrients for the next feeding or two and give it only a small amount of Bio-Grow. I'm growing in a Canna Terra Pro soil which is already filled with considerable amount of nutrients. I failed to mention that when I stepped up my feeding game last week I noticed that more leaves started showing the same symptoms. Thanks for your tips and comments, if you come up with anything more I'd appreciate if you lmk! I'll get back with an update in a week or so. Things are moving fast since they are autos.

Rockysmoke

Rockysmoke

I'm being pretty careful not to splash the water full of nutes on the leaves but it definitely did happen once or twice where the nourished water got onto the lower branches of the plant. HOWEVER I definitely did not splash it on the leaves which are showing the symptoms. I will mention that I do mist my plants with pH-ed water every 2-3 days once the lights go off and that's because the humidity where I live tends to be a bit low (below rH 40% usually).
The one spot looks like water pooled and got "sunburnt" how is your airflow? Is it possible water stayed on it?

sleekRichard

sleekRichard

The one spot looks like water pooled and got "sunburnt" how is your airflow? Is it possible water stayed on it?
"13. Ventilation is good (I think?), 2 inline fans (1in/1out) and 1 fan blowing air on plants from about 18 inches away" - and no, spots keep appearing on new leaves, similarly to the ones from pic #3. I pulled the HPS higher, about 22 inches now. Soil got pretty dry, 4 days since the last watering. I will feed the BG lightly today and see how it reacts.

Habosabin

Habosabin

What's your DLI? I notice you have co2 going. But not sure if its going to be any benefit until you reach like 1000 par at canopy lvls.

Top Bottom