I'm pretty sure this is a phosphorus excess but I'm not sure how

• Thread starter IpslWon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
IpslWon

IpslWon

From everything I've read and can see, it appears there's an excess of phosphorus. The problem with that is this is plain soil, with maybe 40/50% worm castings (which was the only thing the pete pots had in them), some andesite and and handful of crushed shells I washed myself (I live in on the coast). This just happened when I put them in the 5 gallon pots. The ph in the water was a little high (see before and after). I'm not sure what to do at this point. I did have an issue the other night with a timer not shutting the lights off. Could it be light stress? I don't think it's that as its' only a couple of them. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. This is my first grow.
Im pretty sure this is a phosphorus excess but im not sure how 9
Im pretty sure this is a phosphorus excess but im not sure how 8

Im pretty sure this is a phosphorus excess but im not sure how 6
Im pretty sure this is a phosphorus excess but im not sure how 7

Im pretty sure this is a phosphorus excess but im not sure how
Im pretty sure this is a phosphorus excess but im not sure how 2
Im pretty sure this is a phosphorus excess but im not sure how 3
Im pretty sure this is a phosphorus excess but im not sure how 4
Im pretty sure this is a phosphorus excess but im not sure how 5
Anthem

Anthem

There does not appear to be an excess of nutrients. In fact they actually look hungry. I would give them a balanced feed at about 500 to 600ppm's

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
You are likely seeing some transplant shock, but with just regular soil and worm castings, it is hard to say what your nutrient situation is. Worm castings typically have a lot of nitrogen in them, but I think they also rely on soil flora to break it down for the plants to use better. I would try a dose of a regular 20-20-20 fertilizer and see if they perk up. It will take the roots a while to expand into their new home and the plant is somewhat fragile until that happens. The shells won't help much unless they are pulverized as they take a while to break down and won't evenly distribute any nutrients or change Ph except right around the shell.
As strange as it might sound, the 50% worm castings might be a little hot, as it can release a lot of nitrogen as well as drop the Ph. If possible, you should try to check your PPM/EC as well as Ph as it will give you a baseline b which you can determine a plan, otherwise you are throwing darts and hoping to hit the target.

IpslWon

IpslWon

You are likely seeing some transplant shock,

I was under the impression that because I'm using pete pots in the beging there wouldnt be any shock since I'm just throwing the pot into the bigger pot.

shells won't help much unless they are pulverized as they take a while to break down and won't evenly distribute any nutrients or change Ph except right around the shell.

Sorry. I smashed them into a powder prior to adding them. (hammer in a towel then transferred to a siv, rinse repeat)

If possible, you should try to check your PPM/EC as well as Ph as it will give you a baseline b which you can determine a plan, otherwise you are throwing darts and hoping to hit the target.

I'm going to have to get an ec meter.

IpslWon

IpslWon

I never seem to say this but the soil looks very dry.
If I disturb the top it's quite dark underneath.

that looks closer to coco than soil

Is it the color that makes you say that?

I would try a dose of a regular 20-20-20 fertilizer and see if they perk up.

I couldn't find anything that high (organic or otherwise) at my local nursery.

The soil is EB Stone Topsoil. I asked the folks at my local nursery what soil they had that had the least in it. It sounds like I went a little too far into "Less is more" I just went out and grabbed some 7-7-2 primarily fish based fertilizer, and added it to the top and watered it in. I'm really trying to minimize my inputs and be as organic as possible., but I defiantly went over board. They really liked the straight worm castings and are now it pretty much nothing now that I think about it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If I disturb the top it's quite dark underneath.

Is it the color that makes you say that?

I couldn't find anything that high (organic or otherwise) at my local nursery.

The soil is EB Stone Topsoil. I asked the folks at my local nursery what soil they had that had the least in it. It sounds like I went a little too far into "Less is more" I just went out and grabbed some 7-7-2 primarily fish based fertilizer, and added it to the top and watered it in. I'm really trying to minimize my inputs and be as organic as possible., but I defiantly went over board. They really liked the straight worm castings and are now it pretty much nothing now that I think about it.

If the soil is low on nutrients you will want a balanced complete fertilizer. That fish stuff has no Potasium. 7-7-7 would be much better. 3-1-2 or even 3-1-4 is recommended.

I use Botanicare pure blend pro grow for soil. It is made from natural inputs and fully soluble. Works as well as chemicle fertilizer in my opinion.

chemistry

chemistry

Have you fed any Cal/Mag in your new pots since you up-potted? Don't know how you medium is made up nuitrient wise. Colour on your chart, I'd go for the one that looks piss coloured, that's around 6.2ph.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I have a digital one. I just haven't calibrated it yet. I also bought a couple books of these things, but I'll put that on my wishlist for next time!
Cheap & good way to double-check your meter too! Good luck

IpslWon

IpslWon

If the soil is low on nutrients you will want a balanced complete fertilizer. That fish stuff has no Potasium. 7-7-7 would be much better. 3-1-2 or even 3-1-4 is recommended.

I use Botanicare pure blend pro grow for soil. It is made from natural inputs and fully soluble. Works as well as chemicle fertilizer in my opinion.

Right. It seemed like everything at my local store had low K. (I always try to shop local brick and mortar first if I can) I ordered a bottle of the pure blend grow.

Once they get a bit bigger I was thinking of moving them to 2 raised planter boxes, 3 plants each. I think at that time I will really try to make some good healthy soil!

Top Bottom