Im thinking about trying dwc

• Thread starter biggerbud420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

geemonty

I would just use one tote for two plants, put the pump down in it with a mesh filter to recirculate and lay a few airstones down. Its how I veg. Im actually going to build a 1 plant system for a 4x4 and wont be using an external res. The larger the water capacity the more stability you will have also. I would just cut two holes and not worry about plumbing and leaks and drilling holes in the sidewalls.
Downfalls are not being able to access during lights out. I never open the tent. . i dont even risk reveg anymore. But as long as you have high volume, like 10-15 gallons per plant. . your fine. If you must do the external res, use the 5 gallon square buckets inside, and buy two current culture bulkheads, 3 inch, so the lines dont plug. Pretty simple.
I also run my lights on at night and lights off during the day. It prevents the res from dropping in temp as it cools at night, mines on a not so well insulated floor apparently. And yea during the day when its hott, lights are off so its not too hott. Its more less for water temp stability. Less heaters/chillers you will need. I run a heater in my single veg tote, 100w. Temps set to 72f, Flora trio, calmag hydroguard. . boom bang done
I was going to just do 2 plants in the tote but was considering a res because of the issues i had with water changes on my first 5gal bubbler. If not using res what improvements would adding a pump to recirculate water add to the grow? Does it increase yield substantially?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I was going to just do 2 plants in the tote but was considering a res because of the issues i had with water changes on my first 5gal bubbler. If not using res what improvements would adding a pump to recirculate water add to the grow? Does it increase yield substantially?
A pump will increase growth rates. The pump will create an even 02 column and will ensure your nutrients are mixed. In dwc the roots become long and stringy because they have to search out the nutrients. This will help with root uptake.
Best part is when you want to do a water change, you just hook up a long line to your pump, and pump it all out. I run 15ft of tube to my bathtub and just let it go.
Now when using a pump in the same tote as the roots are, you risk the pump becoming clogged and bogged down. Get a pump that has a mesh filter on the end of it and just clean the filter once a week and you will be fine. If you have an external res, your pump will never get clogged if that makes sense. Also if you have an external res, your roots from plants wont get tangled with other roots. I transplant and have to cut the roots apart. It sucks, but its not a big deal.
Pros and cons to both methods. If you have room for an external res, and can do the plumbing. . its prolly the better option.

G

geemonty

A pump will increase growth rates. The pump will create an even 02 column and will ensure your nutrients are mixed. In dwc the roots become long and stringy because they have to search out the nutrients. This will help with root uptake.
Best part is when you want to do a water change, you just hook up a long line to your pump, and pump it all out. I run 15ft of tube to my bathtub and just let it go.
Now when using a pump in the same tote as the roots are, you risk the pump becoming clogged and bogged down. Get a pump that has a mesh filter on the end of it and just clean the filter once a week and you will be fine. If you have an external res, your pump will never get clogged if that makes sense. Also if you have an external res, your roots from plants wont get tangled with other roots. I transplant and have to cut the roots apart. It sucks, but its not a big deal.
Pros and cons to both methods. If you have room for an external res, and can do the plumbing. . its prolly the better option.
Lots of helpful info thx. I think for now I will probably not setup a res and see how things go I can just build a res system later I suppose. Adding a water pump will help with the water changes which will solve the problem i had. Any suggestions on a water pump for a 2 plant system? Harbor freight in my town has this pump link otherwise I'll drive to the city for a better pump from the hydro store.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I run fallponics. I create waterfalls using tubing and splitters. This simulates waves and helps keep o2 in the water. When the pumps pulling in the water at the bottom with lower 02 levels and putting it back to the top. This helps keep the 02 levels high and more consistent throughput the water column.

Simply put a few screws through the lid and use them to hold the plumbing above the water line.

20211220 200548
20210818 165748
G

geemonty

I run fallponics. I create waterfalls using tubing and splitters. This simulates waves and helps keep o2 in the water. When the pumps pulling in the water at the bottom with lower 02 levels and putting it back to the top. This helps keep the 02 levels high and more consistent throughput the water column.

Simply put a few screws through the lid and use them to hold the plumbing above the water line.
Interesting.... do you do this in tandem with an airpump or does the movement of water allow for sufficient aeration?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Interesting.... do you do this in tandem with an airpump or does the movement of water allow for sufficient aeration?
Must have an airstone also. . quite a few actually. Id say one per 5 gallon bucket or similar spacing. I use 4 stones in my veg tote,one under each waterfall basically.

Top Bottom