I'm thinking Nitrogen Def and maybe over watering?

• Thread starter 420ReBeLGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Day 108 since germination . .
Day 33 since flower flip..

I only have GH Flora Series to provide the plants and am thinking I should be giving them a bit more Micro (contains most of the Nitrogen) and keep standard dosage for Blooom...

Current dosage for last 2 feedings was..
1/4 strength Micro
1/4 strength Bloom

Feel like I should step it up to 1/2 for Micro and maybe even 1/2 or 3/4 strength for Bloom since they are getting later into bloom?

IMG_20200725_143814080.jpg
IMG_20200726_075421373_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200726_152053499.jpg

The buds look to be alright so far on the plants though. ..
IMG_20200726_152219834_HDR.jpg

Not as big as a lot of others, but I knew these plants were going to have problems from the beginning due to my soil mixture. Barely seeing brown hairs on any of them right now, so I know I have a while to go before harvest. Any help to get me through would be appreciated!

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Happy grows. What’s the ppm you are currently feeding? I think you have a couple issues going on and one of them is they are hungry Feeding 1/4 strength at this Stage in their life is not enough IMO. Week 4 is the time you more than likely need to up the p and k a little. Check out these pictures and also the website.
5D30E9D0 C64E 44D8 894D 3342376DBFCC

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Happy grows. What’s the ppm you are currently feeding? I think you have a couple issues going on and one of them is they are hungry Feeding 1/4 strength at this Stage in their life is not enough IMO. Week 4 is the time you more than likely need to up the p and k a little. Check out these pictures and also the website.

Hey Burnz! They have been in miracle grow soil and perlite their whole life(mixed with a little blood and bone meal and worm castings) Been giving them 7.0 ph'd tap water only (after 24 hours sitting out with air stones) up until the last few waterings when I then started adding the nutes to the water. (First grow BTW)

I don't take the PPM of the water+nutes before I feed them. I basically just add the GH micro and flora to the water and then PH it to 7.0 Should I be taking PPM measurements before feeding?

I have just been a little worried about adding more nutes but I will start doing so at the next watering. Thanks for the link!

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Hey Burnz! They have been in miracle grow soil and perlite their whole life(mixed with a little blood and bone meal and worm castings) Been giving them 7.0 ph'd tap water only (after 24 hours sitting out with air stones) up until the last few waterings when I then started adding the nutes to the water. (First grow BTW)

I don't take the PPM of the water+nutes before I feed them. I basically just add the GH micro and flora to the water and then PH it to 7.0 Should I be taking PPM measurements before feeding?

I have just been a little worried about adding more nutes but I will start doing so at the next watering. Thanks for the link!
I’ve got no experience with miracle grow soil. Haven’t heard good things. When I see deficiencies in others peoples plants I try and diagnose the issue for myself, incase I ever encounter this. Week 4 in flower, I’d be loading them with p and k, then backing off again in week 5. I saw good results with my plants, but I can’t speak for yours. Just my experience. Happy grows.

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

So, I will be taking PPM readings from now on if adding any nutes to my water to make sure I'm within a good range. (didn't know I had to do that on top of PH for soil plants. Knew it mattered for hydro but not soil.)

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

I’ve got no experience with miracle grow soil. Haven’t heard good things. When I see deficiencies in others peoples plants I try and diagnose the issue for myself, incase I ever encounter this. Week 4 in flower, I’d be loading them with p and k, then backing off again in week 5. I saw good results with my plants, but I can’t speak for yours. Just my experience. Happy grows.
So far its been a problem with the growing of the plants, but it was what we had on hand and it has worked thus far but with sad results :-(

I'll be feeding them some more nutes for sure on my next feeding and checking ppm and will cross my fingers!

Last edited:
BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
So, I will be taking PPM readings from now on if adding any nutes to my water to make sure I'm within a good range. (didn't know I had to do that on top of PH for soil plants. Knew it mattered for hydro but not soil.)
Oh yeah. Good idea. Basically tells us what’s going on in the soil, especially when something is going on with our plants. Let us know tomorrow what the readings were.
Burnz

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

I won't be feeding for at least 3 - 5 days, I fed them 2 days ago and the soil (unfortunately) doesn't dry out very fast, but I will DEF be updating with how they react to the correct nute feeding. Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it!

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Update...

So, finally watered them today after waiting for them to dry up enough to rewater. Added in some Nematodes for good measure to hopefully fight off the gnats.

Anyway, I watered them all with 3/4 dosage for Flora Micro and Bloom this morning and they don't look to be showing any signs of rebound.

Water was . .
900 ppm
6.8 Ph

Here are some shots of the plants. (Don't tear me apart, I'm trying my best to save them haha)

IMG 20200730 145151288 HDR

That one fan leaf right there is scaring me but all the others are looking good. That plant actually turned out to have some purple in it (some of the leaves are turning purple and the buds show a hint of it too)
IMG 20200730 145157235 HDR

What do you guys think? When i tested the collected water on each of the plants it was basically about the same across the board with a PPM of about 980 and ph around 6.8. The buds are still growing a little bit, but I don't think this plant is anywhere near harvest yet as all the hairs are pretty much still white (just a few little browning ones right now).

Can I save these?

IMG 20200729 162151054

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

6.8 is high on the leech side...

I did use nutes in this feeding and that was at 6.8 pH so I'm kinda wondering if it was just that run off. The PPM was a little higher but not by much.

I guess my Q is. . . at what point should I just cut and harvest if they don't turn around and start perking back up? Don't want to ruin the budz but also don't want to lose the budz.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Your plants are not that bad and then not on the verge of needing to be saved.

Your pH is too high, drop it to 6.5, that should reverse the deficiency you're showing also I'm not a big fan of Bloom nutes

I feed balance nutrients straight through I used GH trio for years I would mix it for aggressive veg using grow micro and Bloom, and I would feed those plants at about 750 PPM

I would feed them twice in a row and the third time I would give them a flush with twice the normal volume of plain 6.5 pH water if those were my plants

good luck and don't rush to harvest them because they're not even close, hang in there and in about a month or so you'll have your Harvest

Last edited:
420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

I never knew I had to flush out the nutes after x amount of feedings. I'll be sure to take that into account on the next watering.

Just going to keep the watering up and hope they pull through :-)

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
soil corrections take time give your corrections a chance to work. also try treating the soil not the plant in the future. skip that miracle grow soil try running a good soil like fox farm or similar. weekly slurry test etc. you can even measure the ppm's in and out and that will give you a rough idea of how much they are using or not using. good luck your doing great man don't be hard on yourself

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I honestly think after my last run the ppm out is always misleading. My ppms out 9 times out of 10 Was always in the thousands. Even if I fed 200ppm it was still 1500-1800ppm out. My soil ph was always 5.8. Made no sense. I didn’t change anything. No signs of deficiencies in my grow. Very misleading for a new grower. I error on the side of caution by reading my plants and doing research if I see something wrong. Not relying on my ec/tds meter. Just my experience. Your plants will bounce back just be patient.

*edited
I’m by no means saying don’t use a meter, I’m just saying it was very misleading for me as a first timer.

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I never knew I had to flush out the nutes after x amount of feedings. I'll be sure to take that into account on the next watering.

Just going to keep the watering up and hope they pull through :-)
You don't have to flush them every watering, I flush every 3rd using 2x the volume like I mentioned above

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

soil corrections take time give your corrections a chance to work. also try treating the soil not the plant in the future. skip that miracle grow soil try running a good soil like fox farm or similar. weekly slurry test etc. you can even measure the ppm's in and out and that will give you a rough idea of how much they are using or not using. good luck your doing great man don't be hard on yourself
^ this

If you do this ^ and use the schedule I mentioned above you'll notice the difference

+1 regarding avoiding Miracle-Gro products

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
^ this

If you do this ^ and use the schedule I mentioned above you'll notice the difference

+1 regarding avoiding Miracle-Gro products
Ya I gave up and just read my plants toward the end. I flushed, fed less, etc and still was in the thousands. I think the flora nova series was heavy on the salts early on and that fucked my readings the whole grow. Sticking to coco this grow should be interesting.

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Yeah, miracle grow was all I had access to at the time, but I would never use it again. Just wasn't enough for the grow.

I'll be feeding them one more time and then flushing (earlier feeds we're 1/4 strength)

Hoping these guys still pull through to the end. Just want me some enjoyable budz :-)

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

So, its looking like things are staying about the same, so that's better than them taking a turn. I am seeing some upper leaves start showing problems and that's bad but don't know if that was already happening or what.

In any case, here's a quick pic of the top leaves that are starting to go. They are extremely dry and crackle if i push on them. I checked the LUX output from the top of the plant and its right at about 40K or so, so its not the lights causing any problems (at least I think..).

I have also been running humidity at around 40%-45%. Temps have been 76-79F during lights on and 70-74F during lights off (same RH)

IMG 20200802 110158800 HDR

And here are the lower leaves. They are actually still doing alright and haven't dried up at all.
IMG 20200802 110206522

The buds are all looking good and the hairs are at about a 1:20 ratio of brown to white. So, still a while to go before harvest.

I watered them on Thursday morning and they are still heavy today so probably new watering in another 2 or 3 days, at which time I'll do a heavy flush of just PH'd water (I'm thinking 6.6 PH) and keep my fingers crossed that they don't retain to much water from the flush. We will see where we are at at that time..

Top Bottom