I'm want to make my own potting mix

• Thread starter PhoenixFlower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Could I make it strictly from peat moss and perlite, with a bit of dolomite lime added to it? I plan to add granular nutrients to the top for nutrition. Or do I absolutely have to add compost and/or earth worm casting to it as well? I'd prefer not to have to do the latter part because EWC are expensive and there is absolutely nowhere that sells readily available compost.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

basic coots mix is 30/30/30

1 part sphagmum peat
1 part aeration
1 part ewc or compost

I do not consider the EWC/compost to be optional, I consider it a key component (you need a source of microbial life)

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

basic coots mix is 30/30/30

1 part sphagmum peat
1 part aeration
1 part ewc or compost

I do not consider the EWC/compost to be optional, I consider it a key component (you need a source of microbial life)
Where can I get a lot of EWC for cheap? Do have a suggestion?

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Short of starting your own worm bin? :)

My city offers free compost from the waste disposal and I can get a massive bag of EWC for pretty cheap up here in Canuck land.
I'm in Canada too! I cannot find EWC excep for little tubs of it at my hydro shop (which are petty expensive). I can't do a bin right now, my family doesn't want me doing that LMAO

I found this product at Canadian tire, would this suffice for compost do you think? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...KDQW90iyRoCxrIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=478

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I'm in Canada too! I cannot find EWC excep for little tubs of it at my hydro shop (which are petty expensive). I can't do a bin right now, my family doesn't want me doing that LMAO

I found this product at Canadian tire, would this suffice for compost do you think? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...KDQW90iyRoCxrIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=478

Yeah I'd say that's better than nothing! Send me a DM with your city or province and I'll see what I can find if you're comfortable.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Yeah I'd say that's better than nothing! Send me a DM with your city or province and I'll see what I can find if you're comfortable.
Yeah for sure dude, I'm in Edmonton Alberta, I'm comfortable lol. I don't mind if people know haha

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Hey just an update. I called my local hydro shop and they carry all the ingredients you mentioned (spagnum, perlite and EWC). It's gonna cost me a pretty penny to acquire all of it, but it's STILL cheaper than paying the shipping fees to bring in a bale of the good PROMIX from down there in Olds.

So if I added all three of those ingredients together, then amended it with the granular nutrients I still have leftover, that would suffice for a good potting mix? Do I need to add dolomite lime to it at all? Or is there something else I can add to bring the pH up a bit?

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Hey just an update. I called my local hydro shop and they carry all the ingredients you mentioned (spagnum, perlite and EWC). It's gonna cost me a pretty penny to acquire all of it, but it's STILL cheaper than paying the shipping fees to bring in a bale of the good PROMIX from down there in Olds.

So if I added all three of those ingredients together, then amended it with the granular nutrients I still have leftover, that would suffice for a good potting mix? Do I need to add dolomite lime to it at all? Or is there something else I can add to bring the pH up a bit?

Bro just go to Hydro lite on Fort Road :) Grab bale of their ProMix for <40, Perlite for <20, and EWC for <30 and you're set for a shit load of grows.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Bro just go to Hydro lite on Fort Road :) Grab bale of their ProMix for <40, Perlite for <20, and EWC for <30 and you're set for a shit load of grows.

It was actually the hydro lite south I was going to go to haha. Thanks for looking for me dude! I appreciate it.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Hit up the south if its closer I'm sure they have similar stock & same prices etc. I hit up the one on the north end all the time for my needs and they carry a lot of Gaia Green as well as Grove Bags! 🤙

ps the city offers free compost https://www.gov.edmonton.ab.ca/programs_services/garbage_waste/free-compost
You're in EDM too, WTF? LMAOO, small world!! Fuckin eh! It was actually your signature that got me thinking about making my own compost, you know? Sounded simple enough to do. I can't bring myself to do this PROMIX full of large wood chunks and sticks again..

I called 211 and they said Kennedale was out of compost, I gotta go all the way to Ellerslie to get some. They'll have some tomorrow if you need any, Ambleside eco station :)

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

You're in EDM too, WTF? LMAOO, small world!! Fuckin eh! It was actually your signature that got me thinking about making my own compost, you know? Sounded simple enough to do. I can't bring myself to do this PROMIX full of large wood chunks and sticks again..

I called 211 and they said Kennedale was out of compost, I gotta go all the way to Ellerslie to get some. They'll have some tomorrow if you need any, Ambleside eco station :)

Small world indeed! 😂🤦🏻‍♂️ Thanks for the tip I'm actually going to grab some storage bins and go get my 100L worth this weekend. Don't be shy reach out if you got any Qs. I've had nothing but success with promix I just make sure to hand sift the soil and remove the large stuff and break down chunks of peat. Especially for the younglings

@Oldchucky the only thing flames are good for is lighting joints 😎

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
L O L! Can’t resist stirring up shit!👹 Make my own amended soil also. Almost as much fun as growing in it! Will be starting next year’s in a couple of months. Happy mixing!

Top Bottom