Improving my BHO Process and Quality

• Thread starter MJ-XILE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MJ-XILE

MJ-XILE

Hey everyone, fellow grower and dabber here. I have been researching and trying to consume as much info as possible about the best ways to make and purge BHO and I am having a little bit of an overload of info and have a few questions for those more experienced than myself. Let me start out with my process and then share my thoughts on ways to improve it.

=====

First off I start with kief, not plant material. I take my sugar trim and throw it in a 3.5 gal bucket with the bottom cut out and a 160 micron bubble bag over it (filter on the cut out bottom) with well broken up dry ice (smaller the better imo), pop the lid on and stick that into a 5 gal bucket for collection. I then shake it for a bit and put the collected kief (using cards and brushes to collect it) into a container and shake some more. The first shake will be the purest and each one after that getting more green until I have about 3 different grades (similar to using a 73/90/160 micron bag set). I usually end up with about 2-4 oz of kief per bucket of trim.

Then I get all geared up with gloves, long sleeves, respirator, safety glasses, etc. Once I have my kief I then use all of the greener stuff first and stick it in my extraction tube (my preferred extractor for kief is the free standing O'Kief Extractor 1, free standing so no cold hands, holds plenty of kief, and stainless steel so it won't break if you drop it) and run the butane through (Vector 5x refined all day every day) into a 9x9 which is sitting in a 9x13 with near boiling hot water, outside and away from any possible flames/heat. After I have gotten all of the oil out I can I let it sit in the water bath for a bit until it stops bubling itself and then I use something to pop the bubbles and to whisk out the remaining butane (I use a sterilized street sweeper blade). Once I am confident that the butane is gone I will stick the 9x13 on top of the pan I used to boil the water on low for a little double boiler action, I let it sit there for 30 minutes while whisking it.

After it has been 30 minutes I use straight razor blade and scrape all of the oil up and stick the oiled blades on wax paper and then place the sheet in the freezer to let the BHO harden. I then break the oil off onto the paper and scoop it up into my hand to soften it back up and then ball it up. It usually turns out like hard rock candy, but occasionally it turns out more waxy depending on the heat I used to double boil, but prefer the rock candy type which is what I usually get if on low heat. I then weigh it (usually get about 5 grams of BHO per tube, or ~21% return) and then test it for flavor and potency.

=====

From my own research and experience I know I need to change a few things:

-I need to use parchment paper and not wax as it will get in the BHO (from experience and research)

-Since I am using kief I need to figure out ways to prevent blowouts, losing 24+ grams of kief/5+ grams of BHO is not good, and it's happened one too many times. I have read that adding buds, marbles, or screens may help. I usually make sure that it's not packed too tight, as well as use a skewer to make a path for the butane to travel down the tube. The blowouts usually happen from the top of the extractor and I may need to get one that prevents blowouts but they are spending and not free standing like I like.

-I am not sure if whisking while purging to pop bubbles is a good idea as Butane may be getting trapped in the BHO. I wouldn't say I am whipping it, but whisking it. Not sure if I should be doing this anymore.

-I am going to be try throwing it in the oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes when I bring it inside instead of whisking, and then double boil it.

-I would like to get a better return, there seems to be some oil in the extractor that clogs up and won't make it through, which could also create blowouts.

-I need to purge it better and get a consistent process down (heat/times etc.) to get the rock candy consistency I want.

I have been doing a lot of research into the best purge techniques and at this point am going to stick with the double boil method until I get the money together for what I want. I am leaning towards getting a Vacuum Pum like the Mastercool 90066-A and a Vacuum chamber like thisthis, but also want to be able to add heat while vacuuming. as from my understanding vac without heat is pointless. I came across Vacuum Ovens in my research and am curious if anyone has tried them for BHO? They are more expensive, starting at around $1200, but there are used ones for a lot less on eBay. I am also wondering if a scientific hot plate is nescesarry to purge with or if I should just stick with the double boil method. If I go with a vac setup I want to do it right, no foodsaver or mittyvac.

I guess my questions come down to this:

Double boil heat purge or $1000-1500 for a vac setup? Will I notice the difference in quality of BHO and is it worth it?

Hot plate + Vac Chamber or should I get a Vac Oven?

Whisk while purging outside/inside or no?

Ways to prevent blowouts with the O'Kief?

Oven before double boil? Oven at all?

Best temp for double boil? Water? Oil? Best double boil method?

I know this is long winded and somewhat scatterbrained, but any thoughts on improving my process and BHO quality are much appreciated, thanks!

MJ-XILE

MJ-XILE

So I made a run yesterday and it turned out excellent. Instead of whisking it to pop the bubbles I just popped any big ones that formed while evaporating outside, then once safe I took it inside and threw it in the oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes. Then I threw the double boil on top of the boiling water pan and used my heat gun on it's lowest setting and popped all the bubbles that formed. After I let it double boil for a half hour I put the pan in the freezer for 10. Came back it was rock hard and then I threw it in the oven once more and back in the double boil for a final run with the heat gun and them scraped it up. It turned out hard like rock candy but still sticky enough to be workable, and it is transparent unlike my whisked. I got about 5 grams total which is what I expect per tube. I made sure to leave a path for flow in the extractor using a skewer and it helped prevent any blow outs. I tried the errrl in my rig and it is my best yet on all points. Going to make another run and hope to duplicate the results. Any thoughts, comments, or ideas are welcome!

deep buddy

deep buddy

k marbles or boiling chips, or even better crushed dry ice(this increase's yield as well).
and just get a brake pump that can pull at least 20 in

Tankgrl

Tankgrl

Ok to prevent kief blowouts, mix the kief with shake/trim. Use cheese cloth instead of unbleached coffee filters with rubber bands to hold it on, about 3, tight.

Get a rotary vac pump and a set of manifold gauges. A large mason jar with a hole popped in the top can work as a ghetto vac purge chamber.

Heat destroys terpines/flavor but does make your oil more stable, but with a good vac purge and a few hours of purging you can do the same with NO heat. A low heat bath while purging will create shatter.

Hand pump/brake bleeders are better then the oven method but spend $50 xtra and get a rotary pump.

yeah never wax paper only parchment.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I like a thermos better than a column for kief extraction.

If you do the primary purge in warm 140F tap water until the butane appears to be gone and then place it in a shallow dish, on a 115F hot plate, inside a vacuum chamber pumped down to -29.9 Hg, it will purge the solvent and leave a pristine clear stiff carboxylic acid oil.

Vacuum purged at 29 hg  115F 1 1
sky_blue

sky_blue

I like a thermos better than a column for kief extraction.

If you do the primary purge in warm 140F tap water until the butane appears to be gone and then place it in a shallow dish, on a 115F hot plate, inside a vacuum chamber pumped down to -29.9 Hg, it will purge the solvent and leave a pristine clear stiff carboxylic acid oil.

Hello,
Pls. tell me what kind of hot plate you're using inside the vacuum. Please !! Or, what kind of vacuum you're using which allows this.
I can't figure out how to have a hot plate inside the vacuum.
Thanks !!!

Graywolf

Graywolf

I'll get the part number for you on my next run to the lab, but the hot plate is a labratory hotplate, designed for student use, probably from American Scientific.

The vacuum chamber is a labratory vacuum dessicator from American Scientific. I bought it used for $200.

The vaccum pump we most often use for hard finish purging, is a two stage vane pump (<$200), designed for air conditioning application, which I got off E-Bay.

We also use faucet vacuum aspirators (<$20), and a military surplus MASH pump to generally get rid of solvent that we don't want in the crank case of our high vacuum pumps. For the hard finish on extracts, solvent dillution hasn't proven to be an issue, as the solvent amounts are small.

SCFSYNDICATE760

SCFSYNDICATE760

Double boil heat purge or $1000-1500 for a vac setup? Will I notice the difference in quality of BHO and is it worth it?

I know this is long winded and somewhat scatterbrained, but any thoughts on improving my process and BHO quality are much appreciated, thanks![/quote]

great post...ill give u my experience only because ive dealt w several of the things u asked specifically about...ive been doing this about a yr n a half or two....almost every day sometimes twice on sundays...
i gen go for vol...
volume nigga volume....lol
jk sorry
usually blasting a min of 2 zips up to my big dawg which holds about mmmmm 1 3/4 units? maybe 1 n a half...
so runs usually end up being 8th of oil to a few zips....
so not that i needed the credentials....lol but at least maybe youll know im not talkin out ma neck..lol
i also do run kief and bubble hash....
>>quick ? to greywolf....if hes reading this
whats better in your experience, unpressed bubble or kief for making bho?
anyways sorry just wanted to inject that? as ive done both...
hashwax is the shit!!!

so lets see ill go over the points as best im able for u..

number one main main main thing is your material u start w obviously...you sound like u understand that already..
kief or hash is a great idea....keep doing that...or at least use buds...

as far as boil vs vac set up
the vac is not a must have period..
it makes things go quicker...ESP if your doing.....>VOLUME..lol
u can def use a hand brake bleeder, (i wouldnt theyre a pain at least until my lock in hand pump thingy is on market) lol
they DO work tho...
your prob NOT gonna have to spend 1500 on a vac setup tho...
heres what ive used for vaccing....in order to what im using now and how they worked...

blasted into pyrex
put on hot water
whipped while purging initially and after
then put onto a pie dish, spread thin and put on a coffee mug warmer while moved around
no vac-stuff came out great...took longer, but stuff was legit

next got a hand brake bleeder and was using a mason jar as tank girl suggested...
this works fine...
PROS-you have a vac now!
CONS- u guessed it! not good for VOLUME...lol
also i dont like the idea of glass thats only somewhat pressure rated...
they could explode...
so then i switched to a 1 gallon sized acrylic clear latched container...kind with a rubber oring
this worked better for more volume, however with the hand pump it takes a long time to pump the pressure
to just like 28 hg....which is enough to vac, but just not as fast....
this takes you back to the issue of keeping oil warm enough while vac or its pointless really...
few ways you can do this, you can put the jar/chamber in warm water bath, or you can try n keep warming the oil
then vaccing it...

at this point in my blasting career, i made the switch from square rectangle pyrex to a round 7 cup pyrex bowl with straight down sides....
let me explain why...
first off, its a hassle to have to blast then scrape THEN put it in the vac then either scrape again or whatevers
now, i was blasting into the round dish, putting it in a hot water bath then after initial purge, you can put the whole bowl right in the larger chamber....
its easier cuz less steps...
now u vac it and when its done, all you do is scrape it once....(i actually dont scrape at all anymore, more on this shortly)

so i would heat it, put it in chamber, vac it, take it out back in hot water, then back on vac...
this method worked great for a while...
i did also make the switch to a vac pump (harbor freight like 200$)
now with the pump and gal chamber (which was only $20) and the round bowl i was rockin....

until
boom!

imploded the acrylic chamber with the glass bowl WITH a half pound worth of blue dream oil in it...
(needless to say lost oil, couldve saved w glass n oil all over n put it in alcohol to salvage, but skipped it)
the force of the implosion shattered the glass inside and shot shrapnel all over...i had a patient and a vendor within the blast radius and luckily noone got hit in the face...i had a piece of the bowl literally hit me in the back and broke skin a lil...not like lodged in or bleeding but did leave a mark...
this was my fault, the chamber had cracked a lil and i just taped it w duct tape...still worked but eventually gave...
if u used these but changed em out once a month youd b fine...prob a good idea to just get a bigger chamber...
they can be expensive tho...

i then switched to the large technidome vac chamber...
its the largest one on the market...
u know me...VOLUME..lol
so its this huge 3 foot across plastic bubble dome thing...
i had to get a stronger pump cuz its a 65 liter chamber...most are like 1 or 2 liters methinks...
so i got the better pump...
back to the prob w heat...
so i bought a pizza stone...
now i heat the pizza stone, throw it in the chamber and it keeps oil warm...
i should also note that by this time i have switched to making a receptacle out of parchment paper
(yes never use waxpaper again, tried nonstick cooking parchment, doesnt work, will get into teflon bags in a min)

so i would take parchemnt and shape it to the round or square pyrex (shape doesnt matter now)
then i blast right into the paper lined pyrex...
from here id throw the pyrex on a heating element...usually take 15-30 min for inital purge to happen depending on how big a run/how much gas is in it....

now id take the paper out with the sap on it and throw that in the chamber on the pizza stone...
then the stone would keep it warm while vaccing....this works great...
blasting onto paper is much easier...no scrape..u can blast then vac then throw in the freezer for 3 min and the whole thing should peel right off like a fruit roll up...
sometimes you dont even need to freeze it, it just peels right off (usually if its high end bud wax, prob kief wax too)

here is where i decided it would be easier to use a vac oven then heating the thing and the chamber...
i still use the chamber when i need more than one so im glad i kept it, as i was gonna return it....
so youre right, vac ovens are much more money....
however, any of the people selling them have gotten lots frmo a lab or something....they dont care they just wanna sell the shit...
i found one marked at like 800 n i offered 4 and got it!!

soooooooo much easier...
just turn on, set temp (which you can dial by the degree basically) and then once ur oils warmed up turn on the vac...
sooooo much easier to not have to deal with it...just set it and let it...
so, i am still experimenting with diff temps etc....
id say thats all u need tho....a good pump...like a legit one, spend 3-500 then you dont gotta worry about it breaking or not being strong enough...
it really is more efficient w a good pump....
so thats my thoguhts on vac oven, GET ONE!...lol

now i try and use the teflon bag tech as much as possible.
super easy..
blast into bag..put on hot water..purge..throw in freezer, crumble in corner of bag and pour out onto your parchment,
or whatever bowl ur gonna put it into for further processing...

as far as whisking or not, i used to with a dremel type took during the initial purge...
some may say this traps gas in the matrix, some say not...who knows...
if ur going for clear sap tho, id say least amount of agitatation the best..?
let me put it this way, i dont do that step anymore...

as for the best way to extract kief or bubble, id say gwolf is right, use either a glass jar or a thermos thats metal....
OR if you have some funds and wanna get an ill tube with no worries of blowouts or breaking or anything...
www.concentrateindustries.com...
anything i missed that you wanna see of the tech we employ, can be read at the only bhonly forum on the net currently
www.labhoroflove.proboards.com
thnx and happy blasting!!

heres some pics...
tests from last high cbd oil
round bowl w oil after vac
paper w slh oil on it after vac (yea i know lil plant material made it in that batch)
set up w teflon bag attached..
technidome vac chamber
some pluto og hash wax
decarbed oil for vapor pens...sorry just my shit talkin version of everyone reading stuff through their oil..lol

Flatline test
Finvacdbowlog
Donepaper
Teflon tech
Dome
Newhashwaxpluto2
Ifucanreadthisurgay
sky_blue

sky_blue

I know this is long winded and somewhat scatterbrained, but any thoughts on improving my process and BHO quality are much appreciated, thanks!

great post...ill give u my experience only because ive dealt w several of the things u asked specifically about...ive been doing this about a yr n a half or two....almost every day sometimes twice on sundays...
i gen go for vol...
volume nigga volume....lol
jk sorry
usually blasting a min of 2 zips up to my big dawg which holds about mmmmm 1 3/4 units? maybe 1 n a half...
so runs usually end up being 8th of oil to a few zips....
so not that i needed the credentials....lol but at least maybe youll know im not talkin out ma neck..lol
i also do run kief and bubble hash....
>>quick ? to greywolf....if hes reading this
whats better in your experience, unpressed bubble or kief for making bho?
anyways sorry just wanted to inject that? as ive done both...
hashwax is the shit!!!

so lets see ill go over the points as best im able for u..

number one main main main thing is your material u start w obviously...you sound like u understand that already..
kief or hash is a great idea....keep doing that...or at least use buds...

as far as boil vs vac set up
the vac is not a must have period..
it makes things go quicker...ESP if your doing.....>VOLUME..lol
u can def use a hand brake bleeder, (i wouldnt theyre a pain at least until my lock in hand pump thingy is on market) lol
they DO work tho...
your prob NOT gonna have to spend 1500 on a vac setup tho...
heres what ive used for vaccing....in order to what im using now and how they worked...

blasted into pyrex
put on hot water
whipped while purging initially and after
then put onto a pie dish, spread thin and put on a coffee mug warmer while moved around
no vac-stuff came out great...took longer, but stuff was legit

next got a hand brake bleeder and was using a mason jar as tank girl suggested...
this works fine...
PROS-you have a vac now!
CONS- u guessed it! not good for VOLUME...lol
also i dont like the idea of glass thats only somewhat pressure rated...
they could explode...
so then i switched to a 1 gallon sized acrylic clear latched container...kind with a rubber oring
this worked better for more volume, however with the hand pump it takes a long time to pump the pressure
to just like 28 hg....which is enough to vac, but just not as fast....
this takes you back to the issue of keeping oil warm enough while vac or its pointless really...
few ways you can do this, you can put the jar/chamber in warm water bath, or you can try n keep warming the oil
then vaccing it...

at this point in my blasting career, i made the switch from square rectangle pyrex to a round 7 cup pyrex bowl with straight down sides....
let me explain why...
first off, its a hassle to have to blast then scrape THEN put it in the vac then either scrape again or whatevers
now, i was blasting into the round dish, putting it in a hot water bath then after initial purge, you can put the whole bowl right in the larger chamber....
its easier cuz less steps...
now u vac it and when its done, all you do is scrape it once....(i actually dont scrape at all anymore, more on this shortly)

so i would heat it, put it in chamber, vac it, take it out back in hot water, then back on vac...
this method worked great for a while...
i did also make the switch to a vac pump (harbor freight like 200$)
now with the pump and gal chamber (which was only $20) and the round bowl i was rockin....

until
boom!

imploded the acrylic chamber with the glass bowl WITH a half pound worth of blue dream oil in it...
(needless to say lost oil, couldve saved w glass n oil all over n put it in alcohol to salvage, but skipped it)
the force of the implosion shattered the glass inside and shot shrapnel all over...i had a patient and a vendor within the blast radius and luckily noone got hit in the face...i had a piece of the bowl literally hit me in the back and broke skin a lil...not like lodged in or bleeding but did leave a mark...
this was my fault, the chamber had cracked a lil and i just taped it w duct tape...still worked but eventually gave...
if u used these but changed em out once a month youd b fine...prob a good idea to just get a bigger chamber...
they can be expensive tho...

i then switched to the large technidome vac chamber...
its the largest one on the market...
u know me...VOLUME..lol
so its this huge 3 foot across plastic bubble dome thing...
i had to get a stronger pump cuz its a 65 liter chamber...most are like 1 or 2 liters methinks...
so i got the better pump...
back to the prob w heat...
so i bought a pizza stone...
now i heat the pizza stone, throw it in the chamber and it keeps oil warm...
i should also note that by this time i have switched to making a receptacle out of parchment paper
(yes never use waxpaper again, tried nonstick cooking parchment, doesnt work, will get into teflon bags in a min)

so i would take parchemnt and shape it to the round or square pyrex (shape doesnt matter now)
then i blast right into the paper lined pyrex...
from here id throw the pyrex on a heating element...usually take 15-30 min for inital purge to happen depending on how big a run/how much gas is in it....

now id take the paper out with the sap on it and throw that in the chamber on the pizza stone...
then the stone would keep it warm while vaccing....this works great...
blasting onto paper is much easier...no scrape..u can blast then vac then throw in the freezer for 3 min and the whole thing should peel right off like a fruit roll up...
sometimes you dont even need to freeze it, it just peels right off (usually if its high end bud wax, prob kief wax too)

here is where i decided it would be easier to use a vac oven then heating the thing and the chamber...
i still use the chamber when i need more than one so im glad i kept it, as i was gonna return it....
so youre right, vac ovens are much more money....
however, any of the people selling them have gotten lots frmo a lab or something....they dont care they just wanna sell the shit...
i found one marked at like 800 n i offered 4 and got it!!

soooooooo much easier...
just turn on, set temp (which you can dial by the degree basically) and then once ur oils warmed up turn on the vac...
sooooo much easier to not have to deal with it...just set it and let it...
so, i am still experimenting with diff temps etc....
id say thats all u need tho....a good pump...like a legit one, spend 3-500 then you dont gotta worry about it breaking or not being strong enough...
it really is more efficient w a good pump....
so thats my thoguhts on vac oven, GET ONE!...lol

now i try and use the teflon bag tech as much as possible.
super easy..
blast into bag..put on hot water..purge..throw in freezer, crumble in corner of bag and pour out onto your parchment,
or whatever bowl ur gonna put it into for further processing...

as far as whisking or not, i used to with a dremel type took during the initial purge...
some may say this traps gas in the matrix, some say not...who knows...
if ur going for clear sap tho, id say least amount of agitatation the best..?
let me put it this way, i dont do that step anymore...

as for the best way to extract kief or bubble, id say gwolf is right, use either a glass jar or a thermos thats metal....
OR if you have some funds and wanna get an ill tube with no worries of blowouts or breaking or anything...
www.concentrateindustries.com...
anything i missed that you wanna see of the tech we employ, can be read at the only bhonly forum on the net currently
www.labhoroflove.proboards.com
thnx and happy blasting!!

heres some pics...
tests from last high cbd oil
round bowl w oil after vac
paper w slh oil on it after vac (yea i know lil plant material made it in that batch)
set up w teflon bag attached..
technidome vac chamber
some pluto og hash wax
decarbed oil for vapor pens...sorry just my shit talkin version of everyone reading stuff through their oil..lol[/quote]

Just curious,
The first purchase I made was a queen honey-bee extractor. Is the super-expensive, extreme extractor that much more efficient?
Thanks !!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Vacuum is not necessary to make well purged oil, but it speed things up and makes products not possible without it.

A vacuum oven would be nice, but we get by with a glass vacuum dessication chamber, with a simple hot plate inside. I would imagine that if we had a vacuum oven, that I would find some unique way to use it, that wouldn't occur to me otherwise.

I use our glass chamber in different ways, for different processes, but for instance if I place raw BHO oleoresin extract in a Petri dish, on the 115F hotplate, when I pull a -29.9"hg vacuum, you can see bubbles trying to form and break, but unable to do so until the oil reaches about 115F, at which time they all rise to the surface and leave behind a pristine clear shatter upon cooling.
See photo:

You can also put a thin film of winterized oil in ethanol in a Petri dish, with no heat, and boil off the alcohol. See photo:

I am working on a thin film vacuum evaporator design, that works like a Rotovape, to speed things up.

When we run large volumes of oil, it is mostly for oral or topical application, and our Mk I Terpenator pulls a -29.5"hg vacuum on the material for 5 minutes to finish up the last cycle. We can also control the temperature during that purge, but since we subsequently decarboxylate the oil at 250F, the vacuum purge is moot.

Where the vacuum dessicator and hot plate come in handy, is for thin film purging to produce products for vaporization. It is also a requirement to make things like wax muffins/cookies.

You can do the same thing with a Lil Terp tank, by placing the vessel with the oil in it, in a hot water or oil bath, at a temperature of your choosing, and pull a hard vacuum on it with a two stage vane AC pump, which we pick up off the web from $145/195, in 5 & 6.2 cfm capacity.

I just priced 1.25" thick acrylic panels from Tap Plastics, and it would only cost about $40 to put a clear lid on the Lil Terp tank for that purpose, or you could get a heavy duty commercial stockpot and make an acrylic lid for an even larger one, similar to the chambers that they use to degas epoxy resin castings. You could also buy a chamber designed and sold for that purpose, and they are relatively inexpensive as compared to a lab vacuum chamber that size.

I consider return on investment and return on assets when deciding where to plunk down my money and think it depends on the volume you need to run, and what you want to end up with, as to how much capital equipment is justified and what it should be.

In our case, there is no return on either investment or assets, but a savings in operating costs reduces the drain on our limited resources, so it amounts to much the same thing.

Our day to day volume is actually low to zero, but at harvest time, and when we receive cancer donations, we need to process material fast to stay within the weight limits that we are allowed to have on hand under OMMP.

Since the extracted oil was mostly for oral and topical use, refining our equipment for vaporization products took second priority to recycling our solvent to save that drain and since there are no taxes to be paid on savings, only income, the simple payback from savings was under 10 months at our volume.

Having plugged that hole, we would love to have a vacuum oven to play with, but as we sell no product, and the volume of vaporization oil that we make just for ourselves wouldn't produce an attractive ROI or ROA.

If your are extracting and supplying a dispensary, vacuum products would no doubt be a requirement, and if you had the volume, I would think a vacuum oven would pay for itself relatively quickly

Vacuum purged at 29 hg  115F 2 1
Thin film vacuum purged BHO absolute 3
S

swisscheese

I just learned a ton reading this thread but I have one question. Have any of you tried quick wash acetone extraction? My patients and I actually like it better than most bho extracts we have tried and it is super easy.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I just learned a ton reading this thread but I have one question. Have any of you tried quick wash acetone extraction? My patients and I actually like it better than most bho extracts we have tried and it is super easy.

Yes we checked it out, but didn't fall in love and haven't expanded the exploration.

SCFSYNDICATE760

SCFSYNDICATE760

have u done the quick acetone ? gw is iso 99% or everclear preferable for a bubble hash to oil extraction?

Graywolf

Graywolf

I've done QWAT extraction, but haven't worked up a good process, as most of the patients we support would rather have QWET for health concerns.

Though I have seen pictures of pristine acetone extractions, mine was still pretty green, and the oil harsh as a result. I didn't chill the acetone or freeze the material to try and tone it down, which is what I would do to refine the process, were I pursuing it.

S

swisscheese

My next crop I am trying the chilled method acetone extraction to see if there's a difference. I have also been dying to try a fancy vacuum purge setup like you pros but am still reading to build up my confidence in the process.

joshadelph

joshadelph

Do not whip what so ever! You do not want "Wax" or "budder" as they are not a stable form of extract. It sounds like you need to keep it on heat a bit longer and lower and then vac it. Don't worry about the bubbles when on the heat, just scrape it up after there is no major purging still going on and put it onto unbleached parchment (ONLY use that, no wax or bleached parchment) watch your heats with parchment though as their is research that suggests that it could release sulfur into your oil. This is just peoples speculation from the research but I wouldn't mess with it. Vac and low temps and you should end up with some nice shatter :D

M

mmjake420

I dont run much bho so Im not sure if any of you avid honey oil makers have tried this or if im just preaching to the choir but for Indica strains I use an unbleached coffee filter and a 25 micron bubble bag pressing screen. for the sativas i do the same however I use my 15 micron bag. very very nice each time I have done it.... would love to know if others do this also what is the evap method used on that acetone oil mentioned earlier. i make 99 iso oil thats very very nice and clean due to the fact i have been making it for years......im looking for someone with a co2 extractor for oil being a chemist ive learned how to take co2 honey oil and change the viscosity to that of vegetable oil for the purpose of strictly vaporizing. doubles the yield of oil during the process allowing it to only be sold in tank style vape pen cartridges......very few know this process and what it takes. still looking for a business parter since i can get the tanks for 1-2 dollars each and the vape pen batteries for 4 bucks. The best part is my pens tanks are prefilled and disposable.......forget cleaning your vape tank toss it and buy a new one preloaded with 1.6g of co2 oil for 40 bucks. [email protected]

M

mmjake420

dont want that blow out use a 25 micron bubble bag pressing screen over the coffee filter for Indica 15 micron for your sativa
get the vac purge
and laser temp at 130 for good shatter no whipping /whisking
also fyi bho creates new compounds we are unsure of although I do love it lol

J

Jacob Hicks

From my experience, you don't want to leave your bud or kief loose or with passages for the butane to run through. I think your missing out on your quantity because of this. pack it tight. the butane will go through it and grab all the THC on the way through the tube. if the kief is too tight and wont let it pass then ya grind it in with some good bud. this will give you a lot more yield. As well, its good to have a hot plate or skillet that lets you control or see the temperature that you set it to. the double boil works good, but you have to wait so long for it to finish and some of the butane could still be trapped. An oven vac is better because you can control the temperature better but a regular 1 stage is vacuum purger is all you need to make good clean butaneless wax. seriously it turns out like wax from the clubs. Also oven for maybe 30 minutes is good before purge at anywhere from 100F to 160F; until reaction stops. (boiling or sticky bubbles). And whipping or whisking it is a good way to help the butane escape from you BHO but when your oil isn't liquid anymore and you can whisk it, do it indoors so it doesn't get dirty. dust, leaves, ash, etc. hope I helped.

J

Jacob Hicks

Do not whip what so ever! You do not want "Wax" or "budder" as they are not a stable form of extract. It sounds like you need to keep it on heat a bit longer and lower and then vac it. Don't worry about the bubbles when on the heat, just scrape it up after there is no major purging still going on and put it onto unbleached parchment (ONLY use that, no wax or bleached parchment) watch your heats with parchment though as their is research that suggests that it could release sulfur into your oil. This is just peoples speculation from the research but I wouldn't mess with it. Vac and low temps and you should end up with some nice shatter :D
I think its silicone not sulfur. and different temps can be used to achieve different textures of wax. ranging from 100F to 160F.

Latest posts

Top Bottom