In Search Of A Cannabis Honey Recipe

• Thread starter DemonTrich
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

one of my patients asked me if I could make a cannabis infused honey for his night time tea (pinky is stuck out, lol).

I would be either using shatter, qwiso or qwet as my concentrate. 1.5-1.75g of qwet or qwiso = to a dozen excellent muffins. 1-1.25g of shatter is = to a dozen muffins. 1 muffin will put you in a couch for 2-4 hrs, then it lightens up and your able to move about freely. I ate a whole one last week and found it difficult to get off the couch and close my blinds (was 11pm). difficult meaning "trapped/couch lock". 1/2 muffin is a perfect amount, all my patients only eat a half at a time and really enjoy the potency.

thanks everyone, I searched but didn't really come up with anything.

420circuit

420circuit

Sounds like a measured dosage amount should be considered. I would use an Everclear extracted oil to infuse the honey. QWET is this I think. I make capsules with a blend of 50% coconut oil and am quite happy with the combination. This blend of 50% coconut oil and cannabis oil would probably be a perfect combination for honey, especially a nice Manuka honey. But if you wanted to simply infuse a nice cannabis oil with honey, a ratio of 1 part cannabis oil to 50 parts honey would equal 100mg of cannabis oil for 1 teaspoon of honey in a common 12 ounce honey bear. 6.8 grams of cannabis oil would be the amount for a 12 ounce honey bear.

This calculation assumes 340g per 12 ounce honey bear bottle, 1 teaspoon = 5 grams and 100mg of cannabis oil per teaspoon of honey is a reasonable dose. Some people freak out on 50mg and others enjoy 1,000mg, a full gram, so who knows, but around 100 seems like a good ballpark estimate. QWET seems to run about 50% THC, so a 100mg dose of oil should have 50mg of THC, a very noticeable amount.

Makes sense? Hey, not an expert here, just looking for reason in a world of chaos.:D

Alternately, you could use twice the amount and instead of pure cannabis oil, use a blend of 50% coconut oil. I have been taking it daily for a few years and am very pleased.:D

happylittle

happylittle

First off forgive me if this is a little off its early and im rushing a little bit. Ill be happy to help you get it dialed in.

I usually use a form of hash oil for all my edibles and tinctures. Also I usually assume untested hash oil to be @ 60% - 600mg per gram. Also straight hash oil can be a little hard to get to bond with glycerin tinctures not sure how easy it bonds with honey. This can be taken care of by first doing a alchohol tincure and then mixing with the honey and then evaporate the alchohol off.
@DemonTrich If youd like ill be happy to walk you through getting the dosing right. What concentration are you trying to achieve

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

^^^^
this is what im after. I don't use herb/bud for ANY of my edibles/tinctures/salves, ect. I only use extracts. so I can only base my dosage amounts from the extracts I use and know very well. im just not sure how to infuse the honey and my extract. I don't want my honey to break down on a double broiler, as I believe I need to heat the honey to at least 130-140* to infuse properly. ill decarb the extract before hand.

we are going to use one of those whinnie the poo type of honey bottles, iirc they are 1lb bottles or 12-16 ounce. he says he can get about 24 servings from one of those bottles. 24 servings = 1.5g of qwiso/qwet or 1.0g of shatter. this would be equivalent to my above dosage of a 1/2 edible and still be able to function, but enjoy the edible buzz w/o being couch locked.

I used to make my vape juice from qwet and qwiso (works perfectly). I found shatter does not bond with peg400 at all after a week of sitting. I used to make master batches of 100ml+ and found out the hard way when I would get "bits" in my mix after it would separate and had to toss it in the bin.

I scored a cannatonic4 from a member (thanks again bro), we will be entertaining salves/edibles/and honey mixtures from thi

happylittle

happylittle

Shatter / hash oil is what i def prefer to bake with as well. If there is 1 gram of shatter going into 24 servings imo you should end up with around 20mg to 25mg servings if the hash oil is 60% to 70% and nothing is lost in the process.
For dealing with seperation in the product and also to help with oil absorbtion into the body i like to use lechithin preferably sunflower if not non gmo soy.
Lechithin is very usefull product that does wonders for absorbtion and homogony in oil / water based products.
As I stated earlier it is easiest to first make an alchohol tincture then mix with the honey. After infusing together on low heat evaporate the alchohol off to get things to infuse much much much quicker. I always have very small chunks in products like this if i dont.
good luck on the honey. :)
-J

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I do 1.5-1.75 qwet/qwiso or 1.0-1.25 shatter per batch of 12 for my edibles. but each edible is good for 2 servings.

im gonna buy some honey today and give this a go.

decarb 1.5g qwiso at 280*/8 mins (skunkfarm tech never let me down) pour honey metal bowl with decarb'd oil in it, then in a double broiler. try and warm up the honey to 140* max, and stir and let cook up. worse that can happen is I burn the honey and I toss out the qwet/qwiso and start over. I have 17g+ of qwiso I use for my edibles to play with. so I don't have a shortage. honey boils at 160*, so if I keep the tamps below 150*, I should be good and it should be hot enough to infuse the concentrate. ill just do it like I do my oil for my muffins (decarb 280*/8mins, immediately remove from oven and place in double broiler, add oil, heat to 140*/35 mins). ill give this tech a shot today or tomorrow and post up the results. if it fails, then ill try again.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
I'm relatively certain honey is a poor option for infused products, namely because you can't infuse cannabis into sugar.

Because honey acts as a preservative, I've seen others use hash with honey to preserve hash in its acid state- which is an altogether different medical product, and one that isn't going to get you very high at all. You are rather suspending oil into honey, not infusing.

Edible cannabis works best when it is infused and bound to fat (oil, butter, glycerin). I think a cannabis/honey mixture would only be psychoactive or medically active after the honey has fermented, whereby the cannabis would bind to the alcohol forming in the fermentation process.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
I've infused honey for years using grain alcohol extraction. My method is ghetto but def works very well.

To emphasize again for the sake of clarity, you're suspending cannabis, not infusing it.

When you eat edible cannabis which is not bound to fat, the experience is largely dependent on metabolism and the content of one's diet for the rest of the day, and the effects can be unpredictable and inconsistent.

For example, if I eat 300mg ethanol extracted, decarboxalated cannabis oil, then eat a load of raw fruit and veggies, the cannabis will have a subdued effect and probably last 6-8 hours. However if I eat that oil, followed by something with a high fat content- cheeseburger or ice cream or something- the cannabis in the gut will react with the fat in the food and lead to much stronger and pronounced, yet short lived effects.

When you infuse cannabis into fat, you can control the activity and effectiveness to a greater degree, and achieve consistent results. I'm not saying honey + hash doesn't work- I'm saying it's not an ideal use of cannabis and you might be wasting a good deal of it.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

well id rather not waste product that my patient wont really benefit from. so I may have to ask him for another option then.

if the honey wont infuse to sugar/honey, but will rather "mix" into it, then (imo) you may get spikes or hot spots of the concentrate that are more potent than the other. make sense of am I over thinking it?

T

toquer

Honey directly from a bee hive loses it's medicinal value after 105f. The protein content is destroyed. Dry sift is heated for at least 2 hours using a crucibal in an oil bath. Temp and time varies based on flower being used. I've got a chart the shows decarb formula based on molecular weight. Decarbed dry sift must be cooled slowly to add to the heated honey to prevent burning of the honey. The finished product is a suspension. 12g of trichs in half an lb of honey works wonders. The finer the sift the more potent. It has always been consumed with heated tea, coffee, or milk. 2tsp is the max dosage as its landed people in the hospital for hallucinating and dehydration.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

decarbing is not my issue, nor is the base concentrate, I have those down already. my issue was trying to infuse thc into honey for a patient. consensus is that honey and thc cant be infused properly, like oil or butter can absorb it correctly.

lemons

lemons

Could you not just declarb it then mix it into the honey at a low temp? It might not bind to honey but it would still be edible as long as it doesn't separate.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

its not gonna work. thc does not bind to sugars, therefore one dose might be spot on, the next weak, the next super strong. I found a better way, I infused it with coconut oil, he then puts a dose (mine is 1.5ml doses) into his tea. easy peasy and always consistent dosing and no guessing.

C

CanuckLoco

First off forgive me if this is a little off its early and im rushing a little bit. Ill be happy to help you get it dialed in.

I usually use a form of hash oil for all my edibles and tinctures. Also I usually assume untested hash oil to be @ 60% - 600mg per gram. Also straight hash oil can be a little hard to get to bond with glycerin tinctures not sure how easy it bonds with honey. This can be taken care of by first doing a alchohol tincure and then mixing with the honey and then evaporate the alchohol off.
@DemonTrich If youd like ill be happy to walk you through getting the dosing right. What concentration are you trying to achieve
Hi,
If i use 1g thc distillate about how much honey would i use? Is the ratio as stated above is 1.74 (6.8:12) distillate to honey?

Top Bottom