Inconsistent tent temperatures in my basement!

• Thread starter Rickcin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ponky

Ponky

I set the heat to come on at 70 and shut off at 75. I believe the inkbird has a 5 degree minimum setting.
Inkbird has a resolution as little as 1 degree F. The wifi model is the one you want. Set it with a phone app instead if button clicks. Get alerts.

Rickcin

Rickcin

Tent temperature really varies depending on what’s running!

I turned off the carbon filter in order to give the motor a break and turned on a 6 inch fan that’s up near the top of the tent. Within a 2 to 3 hour period, the humidity level went fro 48% to 85% while the basement humidity is about 56%.

Just how is that possible, nothing else changed❓❓❓

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

So the fan is useless and I need to keep the carbon exhaust fan running 24/7! I am surprised however since the small heater was maintaining 72 degrees and heat does suck the humidity out of the air!
The higher the humidity, the greater the need for a fan to prevent mold on your plants.

growsince79

growsince79

Tent temperature really varies depending on what’s running!

I turned off the carbon filter in order to give the motor a break and turned on a 6 inch fan that’s up near the top of the tent. Within a 2 to 3 hour period, the humidity level went fro 48% to 85% while the basement humidity is about 56%.

Just how is that possible, nothing else changed❓❓❓
Plants transpire a lot. My closet would go from 45 to 85 in an hour or two without exhaust on. My exhaust is going 24-7 now.

growsince79

growsince79

So the fan is useless and I need to keep the carbon exhaust fan running 24/7! I am surprised however since the small heater was maintaining 72 degrees and heat does suck the humidity out of the air!
Heat doesn't suck humidity out of the air. It lowers the calculated RH, but it doesn't remove anything. The same amount of water is still there. The only way to remove it is to exhaust or run a dehumidifier.

growsince79

growsince79

The fan is necessary for circulation. Without circulation the microclimate around the plant would be more humid than the rest of the room and the plant wouldn't transpire right.

Habosabin

Habosabin

I set the heat to come on at 70 and shut off at 75. I believe the inkbird has a 5 degree minimum setting.
Mine does not. It has a base setting and then a differential setting. You can change that to less than 5 I'm pretty sure. I double check when I get to the tent next.

Rickcin

Rickcin

The fan is necessary for circulation. Without circulation the microclimate around the plant would be more humid than the rest of the room and the plant wouldn't transpire right.
My filter is outside the tent so the fan sucks the air out of the tent snd both bottom vents are open. Should I be running the fan as well??

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Plants transpire a lot. My closet would go from 45 to 85 in an hour or two without exhaust on. My exhaust is going 24-7 now.
This 4 plants in my room can put out over 5 gal of water into the air..

Heat doesn't suck humidity out of the air. It lowers the calculated RH, but it doesn't remove anything. The same amount of water is still there. The only way to remove it is to exhaust or run a dehumidifier.
This is correct moisture content and humidity are 2 very different things. The moisture content will stay the same and humidity will change until dew point is reached and water starts to condensate. Which is 100% humidity.

Ergo the term relative humidity. It's relative to temperature. So air temps rise it will hold more water before reaching dew point. As temls drol it will hold less and the relative humidity is the saturation % of the air at that specific temperature.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

This 4 plants in my room can put out over 5 gal of water into the air..

This is correct moisture content and humidity are 2 very different things. The moisture content will stay the same and humidity will change until dew point is reached and water starts to condensate. Which is 100% humidity.

Ergo the term relative humidity. It's relative to temperature. So air temps rise it will hold more water before reaching dew point. As temls drol it will hold less and the relative humidity is the saturation % of the air at that specific temperature.
SCIENCE! Give the man a lolipop.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The exhaust fan needs to run 24/7 after an hr or so sometimes a touch longer of darkness the plants have reduced transpiration significantly. But the issues happen in that time frame where the plants are transpiring lots and the temps are dropping because of no heat from the light.

This cause a massive spike in humidity and often growers don't realize they are hitting close to dew point where condensate happens. This will be at less than 100% humidity because of the lower leaf temps than air temps so if your hitting 90% your likely getting condensate and create ideal environments for bacteria and mold to infect the plants.

So tldr air exchange during lights on is important to keep humidity in a good place for transpirational needs and temperature moderation. It's ABSOLUTELY crucial in the 2 hrs after lights out and then can be slightly reduced but still MUST remain constant.

This is why I recommend cloudine fans. As long as it's big enough it's set and forget. If not then an inkbird controller

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Think of a leaf like a slurpee cup in summer... lots of warm air that hold lots of water but right at the cup where the air becomes cold (holds less moisture) you get tons of condensate.... the cup is your leaves, they are slightly cooler than the air and always should be due to evaporative cooling.

Carry a slurpee around all ya want in winter and the cup will stay dry...

Ok I'll stop with the dumb apologies sorry. Just feel it's important when we get into these discussions to take the time to explain how things work... give a man a fish he eats for a day... teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime. I lied about the apologies... sue me 😇

Rickcin

Rickcin

The exhaust fan needs to run 24/7 after an hr or so sometimes a touch longer of darkness the plants have reduced transpiration significantly. But the issues happen in that time frame where the plants are transpiring lots and the temps are dropping because of no heat from the light.

This cause a massive spike in humidity and often growers don't realize they are hitting close to dew point where condensate happens. This will be at less than 100% humidity because of the lower leaf temps than air temps so if your hitting 90% your likely getting condensate and create ideal environments for bacteria and mold to infect the plants.

So tldr air exchange during lights on is important to keep humidity in a good place for transpirational needs and temperature moderation. It's ABSOLUTELY crucial in the 2 hrs after lights out and then can be slightly reduced but still MUST remain constant.

This is why I recommend cloudine fans. As long as it's big enough it's set and forget. If not then an inkbird controller
Okay, I just looked up a 4 inch cloud line fan and I’m not understanding how it can control humid or provide a change in temperature other than by adjusting the fan speed, unless I’m missing something?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Okay, I just looked up a 4 inch cloud line fan and I’m not understanding how it can control humid or provide a change in temperature other than by adjusting the fan speed, unless I’m missing something?
That's exactly how it does it.... humidity or temp. There are 2 models let me find it. I think it's the T model.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Let me say it again;
The more humidity, the greater the need for airflow.

Rickcin

Rickcin

Rickcin

Rickcin

Latest posts

Top Bottom