Indoor veg light cycle and outdoor move question

• Thread starter GreenwayTrey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GreenwayTrey

GreenwayTrey

Hello, All. I’m getting ready to start some seeds for an outdoor grow in Maine, and I have a question about light duration during indoor veg and timing of moving the plants outside. I have searched this forum and others and have seen differing practices, but here are the two I am looking at:

18/6, Move outside June 15 (15 hours 32 minute daylength) and plants 8 weeks old
14/10, Move outside May 15 after last frost (14 hours 50 minute daylength) and plants 4 weeks old

What is the benefit of the 18/6 light schedule? More controlled environment during veg? Does the "shock" of going from 18 hours of light to 15 1/2 initiate flowering earlier so they will finish sooner?

What is the benefit of the 14/10 light schedule? Will the plants be larger/healthier with an extra month under full sun and a natural light cycle? Average outdoor temps here range from 65 high/43 low on May 15 to 74 high/53 low on June 15.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

I move mine slowly down from 18/6 to 15/9 a half an hour or hour. It's best to do it over the course of a few weeks but a hardy strain can be done in less than a week. You then move outside after the last frost.

Farmer88

Farmer88

I move mine slowly down from 18/6 to 15/9 a half an hour or hour. It's best to do it over the course of a few weeks but a hardy strain can be done in less than a week. You then move outside after the last frost.

This works well.

Good to start syncing your lights on around civil twilight for your area.

Sparky1980

Sparky1980

Thanks for that tip, Trips. I started some from sprout outdoors in early March and now half of them are trying to flower. Appears I started too early and/or should have started indoors and followed your light schedule recommendation. Hopefully they will re-veg here soon.

GreenwayTrey

GreenwayTrey

Thanks for your replies. The closing on the land I’m purchasing for my grow got pushed back to the end of May, so I won’t be able to plant outside until mid-June. Looks like I’ll just veg under 18/6 until close to the solstice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom