INFANTILE PRE-FLOWERING FOIBLES!!

• Thread starter GDub51
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GDub51

GDub51

Oh my God after two years in a row of getting pre flower It's BACK AGAIN!! I'm about ready to give up! I'm outdoor, SoCal 20 gallon (30" tall) pots, white widow and gorilla bomb, organic. Late start due to seed supplier problem (usually 3 /21 was 4/25 this year) then 3 to 5 days of 24/7 T5 in propagator tray with lid and heat matt, then propagator tray (electric warmer and all with the cold weather here this spring) with increasing hours outside till 5/21 then outdoor 24/7 in the 20 gallon pots. AND NOW THE LATE STARTED GORILLA BOMB HAVE ALL PRE-FLOWERED HEAVILY YET LESS THAN A FOOT TALL! WHAT WAS IT THIS TIME?
I don't think I'm going to give any seedlings 24/7 light ever again. I'll match outdoor lighting from the start I guess, what the hell else is shocking my plants into INFANTILE PREFLOWER!! I'll add pics if anyone wants. I'm so frustrated I've f'd up another grow..... It's so frustrating as I work on it so hard. It's My Hobby now that I'm retired and I'm an educated man yet no one has been able to pin point my flowering foibles. My third grow and all have done the same for one reason or another. I've been very successful with tomatoes, roses, fruit trees etc etc in my garden but cannabis is one very freaky weed! Too much cross breeding I think and I think all todays seeds are bred for indoor and that's one of the reasons they are so frail outside. No natural resistance to bugs or disease of any kind. If it's in the air the cannabis will catch it. Nobody seems to grow outdoors in these sites anyway. 90% of the content is about indoor. Just look at the titles list if you don't believe me. I've posted about early preflower every year. I do everything I boil down to be consensus for corrections and wam! Back to ground zero again. I'm depressed, I want to quit but I can't. I have to learn how to make medicine for my Ankylosing Spondylitis as I can't afford to buy enough top level dispensary weed to meet my needs, I'VE GOTTA LEARN THIS! sorry for rambling, I can't sleep due to pain and I'm depressed

Ina

Ina

From 24/7 you are planting them outside where is no more than 15 hours of light.And they start flowering.Eventually they will get back to veg again.
I'll match outdoor lighting from the start I guess,
I do that and they don't flower.Or just start them outdoors on day light from the beginning.The longest day(at least here)is about 15 hours I think,so they could flower even if they are 18/6...….

m8ty

m8ty

Good idea, just put the seeds outdoors too, let them crack and poke out of the dirt outdoors so they get used to the days getting longer and so on. BTW the seeds aren't Autos?

TerriR

TerriR

I grow outdoors only! I started my seeds on March 12 this year. I put them under lights for the first 6 weeks or so, but only 14 hours a day because they are in the laundry room where my dog sleeps so I turn off the light for her. they did great. They have been outside since and I have 1 that seemed to preflower but stopped pretty quickly. I also read that less light in the beginning makes more females and I do have about 90% females this time. the one that preflowered was not feminized...not sure if that makes a difference. I don’t grow autoflower...but maybe you should check that out.

Galvatron

Galvatron

Has anyone tried using cheap solar powered lights to extend the light cycle? In the Pacific Northwest, we need to put them outside in mid May to prevent pre-flowering. They would have been fine in the greenhouse as early as march except for lack of light. How about setting a few solar powered yard lights near the plants? They obviously don't put out enough light for growing but should extend the day cycle to prevent pre-flowering.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Has anyone tried using cheap solar powered lights to extend the light cycle? In the Pacific Northwest, we need to put them outside in mid May to prevent pre-flowering. They would have been fine in the greenhouse as early as march except for lack of light. How about setting a few solar powered yard lights near the plants? They obviously don't put out enough light for growing but should extend the day cycle to prevent pre-flowering.
I am in N. Nevada and put mine outdoors about May 15th. Unfortunately it got cold again and they had to be brought back in for 2 weeks. I used the porch light and no serious pre-flowers have appeared. Judging by that, I think that any light can stop the flowering process..but admittedly..just my guess.

Reno has even less light due to the surrounding mountains/ As a side note, the temps went straight away to 90 this week when they were put back out. I saw a little leaf upwards curling (RH is 15% and DROPPING..LOL), but overall, they all did fine..OGK included:p.............

As @Ina said they will revert!

GDub51

GDub51

Good idea, just put the seeds outdoors too, let them crack and poke out of the dirt outdoors so they get used to the days getting longer and so on. BTW the seeds aren't Autos?
No not autos. though I just started my first auto in response to this years photoperiod phuk ups! Pineapple Haze. I'll let the Gorilla Bomb mature. I usually have to take two harvests from early budding plants. Last's years second harvest was quite good actually. (White Widow)
So, my Auto is going to live on natural sun only. Today is overcast (perfect for sprouting) and when the sun comes out I use plastic screen door screen rolled into several layers to filter the direct sun over the propagator. Like a mini green house. The key with using outdoor only will be controlling the heat inside the propagator. A lot more work to constantly monitor the propagator's temp but that's only for the next couple weeks. I'll post results on all three pheno's after harvest.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Good idea. Glad you mentioned it as I'll be installing an 8x16' greenhouse in the next few weeks and will consider adding solar lights on a timer. Sure would help in the winter here to extend veg.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Oh my God after two years in a row of getting pre flower It's BACK AGAIN!! I'm about ready to give up! I'm outdoor, SoCal 20 gallon (30" tall) pots, white widow and gorilla bomb, organic. Late start due to seed supplier problem (usually 3 /21 was 4/25 this year) then 3 to 5 days of 24/7 T5 in propagator tray with lid and heat matt, then propagator tray (electric warmer and all with the cold weather here this spring) with increasing hours outside till 5/21 then outdoor 24/7 in the 20 gallon pots. AND NOW THE LATE STARTED GORILLA BOMB HAVE ALL PRE-FLOWERED HEAVILY YET LESS THAN A FOOT TALL! WHAT WAS IT THIS TIME?
I don't think I'm going to give any seedlings 24/7 light ever again. I'll match outdoor lighting from the start I guess, what the hell else is shocking my plants into INFANTILE PREFLOWER!! I'll add pics if anyone wants. I'm so frustrated I've f'd up another grow..... It's so frustrating as I work on it so hard. It's My Hobby now that I'm retired and I'm an educated man yet no one has been able to pin point my flowering foibles. My third grow and all have done the same for one reason or another. I've been very successful with tomatoes, roses, fruit trees etc etc in my garden but cannabis is one very freaky weed! Too much cross breeding I think and I think all todays seeds are bred for indoor and that's one of the reasons they are so frail outside. No natural resistance to bugs or disease of any kind. If it's in the air the cannabis will catch it. Nobody seems to grow outdoors in these sites anyway. 90% of the content is about indoor. Just look at the titles list if you don't believe me. I've posted about early preflower every year. I do everything I boil down to be consensus for corrections and wam! Back to ground zero again. I'm depressed, I want to quit but I can't. I have to learn how to make medicine for my Ankylosing Spondylitis as I can't afford to buy enough top level dispensary weed to meet my needs, I'VE GOTTA LEARN THIS! sorry for rambling, I can't sleep due to pain and I'm depressed
You can't give plants 24/7 indoors and not expect them to flower when moved outside. Even 18/6 would do the same. Start and keep them at 14/10 or even 12/12 then move them out.

Reactions: Ina
GDub51

GDub51

You can't give plants 24/7 indoors and not expect them to flower when moved outside. Even 18/6 would do the same. Start and keep them at 14/10 or even 12/12 then move them out.
Come on Plumber, how many hundred sets of cannabis seedling instructions can I find to show you that state to start at 24 7 indoor under T5HO and then "acclimatize" the sprout to outdoor sun a tiny bit at a time until "hardened off". Everybody has a different amount of hardening but most seedling instructions I have read want this "hand off" from T5 to full sun to happen over a week or more. Can they ALL be wrong? Seems like it. NO DOUBT full SoCal sun will kill any seedling. Seems that trying to copy what happens in nature to be the best guide. A seedling would emerge from underbrush to reach the sun in a few days. No such underbrush around here. It gets cleared away due to fire danger so you have to fake it somehow. That's why I'm using the screen layers over the propagator to simulate the underbrush a natural plant would have to emerge from. You aren't going to tell me you just toss your seeds outside are you? So what is your technique to avoid early flower while giving a sprout what it wants?

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Cannabis is photo sensitive and flower when the length of light decreases. If you start them with that much light and allow them to reach 4-6 weeks then move them to 12/12 or 14/10 what do you think will happen? If others are doing it, good for them but I bet they're get those plants out by 2 weeks or less. I don't want 12" plants flowering.

Reactions: Ina
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Come on Plumber, how many hundred sets of cannabis seedling instructions can I find to show you that state to start at 24 7 indoor under T5HO and then "acclimatize" the sprout to outdoor sun a tiny bit at a time until "hardened off". Everybody has a different amount of hardening but most seedling instructions I have read want this "hand off" from T5 to full sun to happen over a week or more. Can they ALL be wrong? Seems like it. NO DOUBT full SoCal sun will kill any seedling. Seems that trying to copy what happens in nature to be the best guide. A seedling would emerge from underbrush to reach the sun in a few days. No such underbrush around here. It gets cleared away due to fire danger so you have to fake it somehow. That's why I'm using the screen layers over the propagator to simulate the underbrush a natural plant would have to emerge from. You aren't going to tell me you just toss your seeds outside are you? So what is your technique to avoid early flower while giving a sprout what it wants?
Honest not trying to be a dick and apologize if it came off that way. The weather this year hasn't helped. I had 8 clones in the garage taken end of April and had to keep them there under home lighting leds. It was fine for rooting but they will not grow under that light. Waste of time and energy but with the cold and rain I didn't dare putting them in the greenhouse.

Anyway, good luck. It may re-veg. I have one that has done so and another that's been pollinated that look to be growing again and she's got seeds. Crazy year for growing.😉

BudBogart

BudBogart

Yup, no way to go from 24/7 to outdoors. There is just never long enough to back off slow enough.
I start at 18/6 and back off from there.
The good news is that although they will throws ones and threes now they will probably flower and grow a nice size harvest. No one sees the ones and threes once the buds are trimmed.

BudBogart

BudBogart

I am sure no expert recommends hardening off (wrong term) from 24/7 to full outdoor lighting in under a week. Hardening off is exposing seedling to just a bit of natural sunlight one day, and a bit more each day until being in direct sun all day won’t kill it. (Like we build up a sun tan, not all at once). You can do that in a week or so.
What is happening with your plants is transitioning from many hours of light per day to far fewer hours of light. That tricks the plants into thinking winter is fast approaching and it needs to flower right away. You can always stick a cheap solar light near the plant when you put it outside. That prevents early flowering also.

PS, if you just throw seeds in the good soil after harvest, they can sprout at the right time in the spring and grow perfectly fine.

GDub51

GDub51

No, not autos. They did crack and were planted. Peat cups are now in the propagator OUTSIDE. Kept out of the direct sun. Then brought in at night to go on the heat pad, but left in the dark. FLASH!! Invest in one of these heating mats for your sprouting/seedlings they keep things nice and toasty in the propagator and noticeably sped up sprouting. A regular heating pad should work if it is the type that does not have an auto shut off and use the low setting. Mine keeps the interior of the propagator in the high seventies. As a side note, I get light meter readings WAY over the 250 to 300 lumens I get out of the T5, even to 2000 lumens in "open" shade anyway. It's heat control that becomes the issue now. I'm monitoring these like babies, constantly checking on them like a doting father. One of the harder things to learn is to just leave them alone. I've made more mistakes trying to do something good than not doing anything at all. I'm reminded that "Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." ~Albert Einstein

GDub51

GDub51

Honest not trying to be a dick and apologize if it came off that way. The weather this year hasn't helped. I had 8 clones in the garage taken end of April and had to keep them there under home lighting leds. It was fine for rooting but they will not grow under that light. Waste of time and energy but with the cold and rain I didn't dare putting them in the greenhouse.

Anyway, good luck. It may re-veg. I have one that has done so and another that's been pollinated that look to be growing again and she's got seeds. Crazy year for growing.😉
NO, not at all. No apologies, I look forward to your input, especially since we're both SoCal. New Pineapple Haze Auto sprouted. Counting on it to replace what was lost when the Gorilla Bomb "went on the rag" so to speak. Never did an auto before.

Top Bottom